The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's Your Favorite Brand of Cheap Gear? Condenser Microphones
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Cool What's Your Favorite Brand of Cheap Gear?

Ok guys, I'm really curious--what is your favorite brand when it comes to cheap recording gear? It can be a mic-company, pres, hardware, or all of the above. (Nothing above 1k)
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've had good luck with Yamaha gear, old and new. Better build quality than some other low-end gear, etc.

There's so much gear under $1k these days, almost every company has some products in that range...
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I love the Ashly sc-50 compressor.. 50 bucks used, and it can smash room mics and make them wonderful.. Also the RNC compressors.. love them on vocals and acoustic guitar
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I must say I like ART. The 19" MPA preamps sound awesome once you swap out the tubes and are very versatile. They also have neat accessories so you don't have to spend big bucks one a piece of kit if you just want 4 more headphone outputs.

For Microphones, you can't really go wrong with Oktava. Every microphone they make is awesome in its own way. The MK012 small condenser get much love on these here forums and they deserve it. Other nice brands are Audio Technica, Rode, MXL & CAD, just make sure you don't get the cheapest model.

In terms of audio interface, there's ECHO, they make very simple (no features at all) but excellent converters. Tightly followed by M-Audio (the ProFire line) which have a good mix of built-in preamps, converters, versatile software mixer and useful features like dual headphone outputs. For small setups, I like Tascam a lot, very solid interfaces and decent sound.

Yamaha makes nice small mixers. Well, they're actually huge compared to similarly specced compact mixers, but they sound nice and have good routing options in the small models. If you need something for analog monitoring, go get the MG 124 CX with built-in compressors (super useful, seriously) and effects. If you want something more substantial, Allen & Heath is awesome. Just avoid Behringer and Mackie (in the sub $1000 range, the larger consoles aren't too bad actually).

If you like to learn how to use something new, Behringer is actually a good place to start. They have a lot of features and generally good ideas, the things just sound bad or break withing a year. But you can get and sell them on eBay very well.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Alesis, I have never owned an alesis product I didn't like.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
Rode, Shure, Focusrite, Universal Audio, Sennheiser (haha...actually thats probably about the bulk of my setup...)
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

He,

I got a opportunity to buy a secondhand (unused) CAD Equitek e-300 mic.
I tried it out for some time with several vocalist and guitar players. Sounds amazing.

I also have a couple of AKG 414's and A neumann TLM 170. But Even though these mic coast twice a much, the CAD wins 70% of the time with tracking vocals. I don't like it particularly on guitars. A SP B1 or a dynamic Sm 57 does the job just as well lot of the time, but on vocals it's superb!!!

I bought it for € 160,- but if you got the change to buy it for under € 300,- go for it!!! The original price in 1997 was £ 699,- I recon.

They don't make this mic anymore, but the do make a second version of this mic, with is cheap aswel € 350,-, I have never heart I though.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

What's Your Favorite Brand of Cheap Gear?

Se electronics, presonus, boss, krk
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

alesis , fmr compressors and preamp, dbx to a degree, samson, shure mics (never owned a bad shure mic yet)...
Old 24th December 2010
Studio Projects - I have had stellar results with my C1 condenser and VTB-1 preamp. I'm now very interested in the T3 tube mic and newer CS mics...Even after a couple of years, it still seems I would have to spend much, much more money to get anything that would be a significant upgrade.
Old 24th December 2010
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

avantone. for sure.

ive yet to buy anything from them, but ive used a couple of their mics and they are awesome. their C24 clone is badass.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

AKG drum mic packs should get a mention IMO. Can get everything you need on ebay for little to no money and it will be bombproof. BANG4UR$
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted User
The Shure SM57 & SM58.

Cheap and very versatile, excellent value for money for 'shure'.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

mackie mixers, AT mics.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

art and krk are on my fav list.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Good responses, guys!

I'd have to say for interfaces, I've been very impressed by Focusrite. I currently have a Pro24, and I've been very happy with its performance in my live/tracking rig.

For mics, I've really enjoyed some of the MXL stuff (like the V69ME, Genesis). Depending on the model, they're definitely a good bang-for-the-buck!
Old 25th December 2010
art, mxl, presonus, alesis from time to time.

all make reliable decent products, some with available mods to get more out of it. for us don't break the bank guys it's bread and butter.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Shure, FMR, Audio Technica, Grace (m101 ov course), and Yamaha come to mind. If you can't make a great recording with these then...
I like to consider these affordable not cheap. These companies make great products regardless of price point.
Old 26th December 2010
The Alesis 3630 compressor gets my vote. I also have a MXL 960 tube mic that (after replacing the chinese 12AT7) sounds surprisingly warm and clean on vocals.
Old 26th December 2010
Bellari: transformer balanced full voltage tube gear made in the USA. Easily moddable with easy to access tubes and socketed op amps. These things were made to be easily modded for improved performance although IMHO they beat anything from ART in their stock form.

Last edited by Rob Coates; 26th December 2010 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

1. Golden Age Projects.
2. Audio Technica.
3. Tascam.
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

FMR Audio, Audio Technica, Rode.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIzzy View Post
Ok guys, I'm really curious--what is your favorite brand when it comes to cheap recording gear? It can be a mic-company, pres, hardware, or all of the above. (Nothing above 1k)
My favorite gear. I don't think much of it was 'cheap', but all under the 1k mark.

AT 4033
Neumann TLM 103 and KM184
Rode NT-4 and NT1
Sure SM7B, SM57 and SM58
Peavey VMP-2 pre
Focusrite ISA-1 pre
Sans Amp PSA-1
Boss overdrive stomp box (the yellow one)
Ampeg jet 15 watt re-issue (pawn shop)
UAD-Solo card
ECHO MIA - used for 10 years on 5 different computers from Windows 98 to Windows 7 64 Bit. just retired. Replaced with:
Saffire Pro 24 which I like alot
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Electrovoice stuff can be had for pretty cheap and is pretty awesome.

also Valley People.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Bellari: transformer balanced full voltage tube gear made in the USA. Easily moddable with easy to access tubes and socketed op amps. These things were made to be easily modded for improved performance although IMHO they beat anything from ART in their stock form.
Yes I remember many people buzzing positively about these back when I picked up my vmp-2 all those years ago. Lots of great user feedback and swapping stories about tube upgrades.

At the time several low end, low voltage, transformerless essentially solid state pres with some tubes shoved in them were in vogue. People were getting conned left and right and the bellari and peavy vmp2 were shining examples of low priced, high quality true tube pres.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Shure
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

EV
Alesis
Line 6
Rode
Fender
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

AKG, Audio-Technica, Tascam, Ibanez, and GLS Audio
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

AT, EV, Symmetrix, some ART stuff, some DBX, Sennheiser, Ted Fletcher era Joemeek, some CAD.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search