The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Running Active Kurzweil KA40s with an external Amp Studio Monitors
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Running Active Kurzweil KA40s with an external Amp

I've got a powered amp powering my NS10s at the moment, but I was wondering if it were possible to power the Active KA40s passively using the Speaker B Output on the Amp?

There are barewire connections into the back of the L speaker which is actually a barewire out...

Would it be possible to bypass the amplification stage and power the Actives with my external amp?

This may be a bit of a fail thread, but any help is appreciated...
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bump.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bumpity.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

why?

i see no advantage doing this.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

The amp I'm using at the moment has output switching but not via RCA. Which is a bit annoying.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, it should be possible. Your speakers aren't actually active, they just have an amplifier lumped on the back. Passive speakers with a built-in amplifier.

You'll need to open up the speaker with the amplifier in it though to gain access to the connection between the speaker's built-in amp, and the speaker/crossover itself. This should be cut, and reconnected to a new cable which goes to your amp (maybe through the speaker's port).

Beware you can only drop 10w into the speakers according to the spec sheet.

IMO it's a lot of hassle for something which is only going to mean you don't have to change round a cable...
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Yes, it should be possible. Your speakers aren't actually active, they just have an amplifier lumped on the back. Passive speakers with a built-in amplifier.

You'll need to open up the speaker with the amplifier in it though to gain access to the connection between the speaker's built-in amp, and the speaker/crossover itself. This should be cut, and reconnected to a new cable which goes to your amp (maybe through the speaker's port).

Beware you can only drop 10w into the speakers according to the spec sheet.

IMO it's a lot of hassle for something which is only going to mean you don't have to change round a cable...
I was worrying about that... But I think I might opt for a phonograph switcher after all (as unprofessional as that sounds) because 10w is a little low for my amp. My concerns with a phonograph switcher is the difference in the sensitivity of my two monitor sources, but I will have to tackle that hurdle once I solve this one.

Good idea?
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
I was worrying about that... But I think I might opt for a phonograph switcher after all (as unprofessional as that sounds) because 10w is a little low for my amp. My concerns with a phonograph switcher is the difference in the sensitivity of my two monitor sources, but I will have to tackle that hurdle once I solve this one.

Good idea?
Phonograph switcher? I take it you mean a phono switcher? A phonographs is what you play records on.

That sounds like a better option to me, although 10w speakers running off an amp as high as 1000w isn't a problem so long as you don't turn it up...
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Phonograph switcher? I take it you mean a phono switcher? A phonographs is what you play records on.

That sounds like a better option to me, although 10w speakers running off an amp as high as 1000w isn't a problem so long as you don't turn it up...
Haha. Phonograph switcher! I love iPads spell check.....

Yeah a Phono switcher....

I'm concerned about the sensitivity differences between that and my NS10s. Though the spare Passive output will make space for my AE22s when I can afford them.

Is there anything I should watch out for in that kind of trivial consumer gadgets world of Phono switchers?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search