The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please recommend mics for my band's studio Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Please recommend mics for my band's studio

Hey all!

I'm currently looking for some microphones to record some professional sounding demos. I'd like to get mics that will work in the studio and on the road, so durability is an issue. We play loud rock and roll (3 piece). This is what I have going on right now:

PREAMP / INTERFACE
ART TubeFire8

DRUMS
4 mic Glyn Johns Method. We will be recording in a large, 3 car garage with a lot of reverb. We are going for a natural, stereo sound where the songs are built around the drums, as Led Zeppelin did.

Kick - Beta52
Snare - SM57
Overheads - ?

I chose the Beta52 and SM57 because I view them as a proven, industry standards. I am looking for the same with the overheads. I have a 'buy-it-once' mentality when it comes to mics.

SM57 will be used on guitars, bass, vocals.

What are some overheads you would recommend for the sound we are aiming for? LDC or SDC?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Plenty of suggestions around...

Good luck, and post clips as soon as you've got any.
Old 23rd December 2010

Think hard about a pair of CAD M179. Other than that, comb throught the search and ask specific questions...

-tINY

Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

maybe two V67's ? They can double as amp mics or vocal mics too
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

maybe a pair of NT5's?

or two Blue Birds?

I use Nt1's and they sound great for over heads and on guitar cabs
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
I've got a pair of NT5s, they work pretty well on overheads...another unorthodox idea is to get a pair of cascade fatheads (ribbons), you could use these for overheads as well as guitar cabs, vocals...
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I tend to use ldc mics for Glyn Johns, preferably with choice of patterns

Matti
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

A pair of shure ksm 32 or if you can afford a pair akg 414. Those are certainly buy it once, industry standard microphones.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

2 ribbons.. there are a ton of cheaper ribbon mics that sound good.. Fatheads, Apex 210's, Shinybox... And yes, you can record guitars with them.. A combination of an sm57 and a ribbon can be great... Also, if you are wanting a huge drum sound, you may want at least one room mic.. A ribbon, or something with an Omni pattern would be great for this.. I own the Rode nt5's.. They are very good as overheads, but not so great for electric guitars
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

I am currently using:
  • SM58 -- vocals
  • SM57 -- guitar cabinet, snare bottom, misc.
  • Audix i5 -- snare top
  • Audix D2 -- rack toms
  • Audix D4 -- floor tom
  • Audix f15 -- overheads
  • Beta 52 -- kick
  • MXL 993 -- don't really use these anymore. Used to use them on OH, but the f15's sounds better in my rig
  • Golden Age R1 MKII -- just bought this from Front End Audio (frontendaudio.com). It's my first ribbon. I am finding it to be a very interesting mic and will comment more on it in a few weeks. It was included with some delicious coffee beans!
  • SM7b -- vocals
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

I've been checking out the CAD M179 and I feel pretty comfortable picking up two of those.

I've also read as much as I could about the SM7b and it's utility. I think I'm gonna go for the following:

ART Tubefire8

Kick - SM7b
Snare - SM57
OH's - CAD M179

From what I've gathered my voice would be very well suited for the SM7b. The SM7b is also a sufficient kick mic with the right EQing.

Any objections?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
For now yeh i guess...i would probably look at getting a dedicated kick mic some time down the track though.

An md421 sometime down the line also wouldn't go astray....the 421 is really one of those buy it and use it forever type of mics. The combination of a 421 and 57 on guitar is just stellar...it also gives you a different flavour to the sm7b on the kick and bass cab.

I own both the 421 and the sm7b....and i will never get rid of either...
Old 26th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
I've been checking out the CAD M179 and I feel pretty comfortable picking up two of those.

I've also read as much as I could about the SM7b and it's utility. I think I'm gonna go for the following:

ART Tubefire8

Kick - SM7b
Snare - SM57
OH's - CAD M179

From what I've gathered my voice would be very well suited for the SM7b. The SM7b is also a sufficient kick mic with the right EQing.

Any objections?
Stellar CM-6 as a mono room mic is very nice! Heard some recordings... nice nice sound perfect for drums! Search for it
Old 27th December 2010
hmmm

if you wanna use em on the road AND in the studio, i'd have to say probably small diaphragm is probably the way to go, as they're a little less prone to breakage...as was mentioned, NT5s are very decent and not super expensive...AKG 451s are great too, as they feature a rolloff so you're not picking up oodles of kick drum in the OHs. if you're gonna go large diaphragm, someone already mentioned AKG 414s...rock solid, and sound great on damn near anything you put in front of them. if you're lookin to keep it a little cheaper, honestly even a pair of MXL 990s aren't horrible, and have the advantage that if you bring em to a gig and break them, you're only out like 85 bucks. definitely not world class or anything, but for demos they're a good bang for the buck option. you can pick up old rode NT2s cheap on ebay as well, they're a great middle of the road mic.

best of luck!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Actually, another thing i should mention with the NT5s...at least here in Australia, literally NO other company even comes close to the customer service Rode provide...many time's I as well as plenty of other mates have accidentally broken mic's and what not by hitting it with a drum stick...another mate managed to break the cable for his Classic II....what does Rode do? They sent us new parts...for free...at least this was my personal experience.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

studio/road mics

I did a live studio recording with a band recently which you can hear here:
http://soundcloud.com/rengrang_dfa
It is the 'roots prescription' stuff you should listen to. hope you like roots reggae! I was going for a realistic sound to represent what the band does live. Really great players.

this was done in the band's rehearsal studio all live (vocals and conga overdubbed). it has been treated with some bass traps and absorbers with a cloud over the drums. By the way they were all done in one take including all solos etc!

What I used:

kick: sennheiser (think it was E602. belonged to the band) I prefer a D12 or D112 but they were not available or a good LDC but again too much spill
snare top sm57
HiHats sm57 (tried a beyer sdc but didnt like it. too brittle and too much spill from horns)
Mono Overhead oktavamod 319PE
Bass Di direct from head straight to desk
guitar amp sm57 (in the drum cupboard)
Vocal oktavamod 319
conga oktavamod 319
(all of the above through the mic pres on my chilton cm-2 console)

Keyboard amp (in the room with us, sofa cushions around it) sm57
Trombone sm58
sax beta 57
(the 3 above through the mic pres on my trident fleximix console)

Then straight into my motu 828 Mk1 interface (ada 8000 for one channel (keys) via adat)

I would have used my modded apex 205 ribbons on the horns, but the spill was too much. dynamics worked better in this instance.

So you can see that most of that stuff is useable for both studio and road. just a bunch of shures! good preamps make a lot of difference! You might have problems if you use too many condensers since the room aint too tight by the sounds of it.

That's me on trombone duties as well by the way!

Hope you enjoy

long
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Chilton, Fleximix, not so bad, noticed before concentrating to your mics
-the link not working

Matti
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

link not working!!

OOps try this
Reng Rang / D.F.A's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
have edited the other thread too!
peace out
long
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Listening just now, me likes
Its not the mics but the music that counts -how to mix what I just heard,
don´t know without the tracks, but its not the mics if there is a problem.

Cheers

Matti
Old 28th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyo View Post

ART Tubefire8

Kick - SM7b
Snare - SM57
OH's - CAD M179

Any objections?

That'd be a decent start. You may think about a PR20 for the snare (some people like the I5 from Audix). It's not that I hate the SM57, but I rarely find myself using mine anymore - even live....

-tINY

Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
SM81's

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search