The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap compressor for 909 and synth? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Cheap compressor for 909 and synth?

Hi everybody,

I am looking a cheap compressor to work the sound of the kick and snare of my TR909.
I'm looking something of very drastic .

I would like use also this with modular synth and my MS20.

I don't want something transparent , just very punchy with a lot of possibilites to sculpt the sound

What do you think will be nice for less than 300 or 400 $? (I know there won't be very "nice" at this price....)

Thanks a lot

Max
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

dbx 163a look on the tape op forums for the mods and have someone help you do it. If you can't get the mods done it wont be very transparent but would still be a great comp for you to have around for what you are doing and at 50 or 60 dollars worth having in your rack.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Do a search. Plenty of compressors in your budget have been discussed around here.

Best of luck.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks ,

I found some things but no especially for line signal (909,synth...) and no for voice or instruments.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I believe all compressors are designed to accept a line level signal, whether it's the output of a mic preamp or a synth.

I suggest keeping an open mind when reading opinions and listening to sound samples. Don't pigeon-hole yourself just because no one specifically talks about 909 kicks and snares. If someone says that a particular comp has a specifically pleasing tone on drums then you are indeed receiving useful information for your specific scenario. If someone says that a particular comp doesn't handle low frequencies very well then this is also useful to you.
Old 23rd December 2010
I've not herd one yet but the GAP Comp 54 may be a good candidate for your needs. It's a Chinese clone of the vintage Neve 2254 compressor. Since there just now starting to be available there isn't a useable vibe yet but for the money there pre is fairly great stock, and marvelous with just a few changes.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GOA-COMP54-LIST

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search