The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dbx 163x or fmr RNC or? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

dbx 163x or fmr RNC or?

i just purchased a jj audio akita for my first mic and picked up the golden age pre-73 and want to find a decent compressor to finish up the chain...im thinking either a used dbx 163x or a new fmr rnc....Although i dont have a specific budget i'd like to keep it on the lower end of things.....any input would be appreciated.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

haven't personally heard the rnc but i do like the dbx. i also like my art pro vla II on vocals alot
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Those two comps are different beasts. Both r great comps, the dbx is a dirtier comp with less functionality. Rnc is a cleaner comp with more control.
For an overall comp, I'd get the rnc, maybe get one and save a little more money and look for the other cheap and then u will have both!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

yea this is one of those posts where i sshould have just did more research....gonna go for the pbc 6a.....i figure i got a solid foundation to build on now.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrad View Post
Those two comps are different beasts. Both r great comps, the dbx is a dirtier comp with less functionality. Rnc is a cleaner comp with more control.
For an overall comp, I'd get the rnc, maybe get one and save a little more money and look for the other cheap and then u will have both!
Less functionality compared to an LA2A??

The dbx 163x slider controls the amount of compression (as well as the input level to my ears) and the output level has another level of compression/make up gain going on.

The compressor does indeed have a sound but I wouldn't call it dirty.

The Akita (or its Japanese doppleganger the C 800G) to a preamp with color like a GAP 73 or a Neve 1073 to a dbx 160x (not exactly a clean compressor either heh) is a CLASSIC chain.

I have heard some excellent samples of the RNC and have no doubts to its function or fashion, but for this combo in particular I would veer towards a VCA compressor that acts like the dbx stuff when you feed it to human voice.

The PBC6a (VCA design??)) also sounds very promising, however I still have yet to hear much hip hop vocal examples if any that I can recall (no coffee yet). I just know its for sale and people talk about it alot on the forums, but without any real clips of it on hip hop vocals to download or evaluate it makes it hard to recommend.

On the other hand the 163x is very present on Gearslutz in clip examples (I certainly have posted my share of examples on hip hop vocals with high quality microphones) as is the dbx 160x and 160a.

The 163x has a really cool mids push to it that is very sweet on vocals like RnB and Rap.

Considering its usually on sale at bargain bin prices its always been my no brainer first compressor.

I always forget if it was Charles Dye or Dave Pensado who said that the 163x was a secret weapon comp for rap but whoever said it was telling the TRUTH!

IF this compressor's primary duty is vocals and nothing else then you still can't lose with a 163x or a 160x. Once you're done tracking vocals with it you can put it on your drum buss, kick drum, bass line or even your snare and you can get VERY VERY usable results.

PS Adam (Roc Mixwell) can you chime at all if you've had a chance to get one of these things in on a rap vocal session? I'm still VERY VERY curious about the PBC6a. Its one of the most talked about compressors on the hip hop forum, next to the Tubetech CL1B IMHO. WE NEED CLIPS!!

Peace
Illumination

Last edited by illacov; 23rd December 2010 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I have all 3 and I think the dbx 163x is nice on bass (DI) electrics and vox, easiy to set up for sure, the rnc is good on clean guitars and voclas...the pbc-6a blows them all away as it can do so much more with it's built in side chain eq corner...if you can find a chep dbx 163x, get it as well as rnc , all of mine are hooked to a patchbay for easy access to all my preamps as well as master bus...have a good day..
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post
I have all 3 and I think the dbx 163x is nice on bass (DI) electrics and vox, easiy to set up for sure, the rnc is good on clean guitars and voclas...the pbc-6a blows them all away as it can do so much more with it's built in side chain eq corner...if you can find a chep dbx 163x, get it as well as rnc , all of mine are hooked to a patchbay for easy access to all my preamps as well as master bus...have a good day..
Can you please post some clips of the PBC6A?

This is one popular compressor on this forum and I have yet to hear it on vocals.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Peace
Illumination
Old 23rd December 2010
Deleted User
I have both .. paid $50 for the 163X so it would not be an either/or thing in my mind... just get both used for around 200 bucks if you wait and watch a while.

I RNC is by far better but I use the 163X more due to the DI input.. they are both kinda cool in their own way.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

sounds like getting both wouldnt be such a bad idea...i keep losing bids on ebay(never ebay'd before) for the 163x so was lookin for a somthing else, i suppose i'll just get the pcb 6a and keep bidding on the 163 or keep lookin out since they seem to be dirt cheap.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have heard some clips on herewhere the pbc-6 crushed the vocals(song was country and it didnt suite the style), i may post a blues tune, but it needs some editing showing with and without the pbc-6...how do i put up a song on GS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Can you please post some clips of the PBC6A?

This is one popular compressor on this forum and I have yet to hear it on vocals.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Peace
Illumination
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
I have heard some clips on herewhere the pbc-6 crushed the vocals(song was country and it didnt suite the style), i may post a blues tune, but it needs some editing showing with and without the pbc-6...how do i put up a song on GS?
Would it be too much to ask if you could do an awesome A Capella rendition of Rapper's Delight whilst compressing with the PBC6A?????hehhehheh

The Blues song is cool I suppose but I really want to hear the PBC6A on good old fashioned rap vocals.

PS Just click on manage attachments and upload the MP3 and it will display in the post so all viewers of the thread can play it.

Peace
Illumination
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

what you say?...lol Maybe you could prepare your vocal track and have someone compress have them send it back then lay it in your mix, but there are so many ways to use this with its side chain and all the other combinations, best bet would be is to buy and try it and if you dont like, send it back...have a great weekend
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
what you say?...lol Maybe you could prepare your vocal track and have someone compress have them send it back then lay it in your mix, but there are so many ways to use this with its side chain and all the other combinations, best bet would be is to buy and try it and if you dont like, send it back...have a great weekend
Trust me my man I have TOO many compressors here lol.

I was more so asking for clips so that people who are seeking the PBC6A for hip hop applications get to hear it in action in the context of the genre.

And I was only halfway joking.

When I was in the market for a new compressor I was looking at the PBC6A and the Overstayer. Eventually I bought a 2 channel Valley People Dyna-mite (Blackface unit), an Altec 1612B (MONSTER COMP) and I bought 3 mnats Rev F 1176 kits with the Ed Anderson transformers.hehhehheh

I just have a special soapbox for new equipment because a good deal of gear isn't demoed for hip hop/urban music. I'd say more than half of most pop music currently has a hip hop theme or approach to it yet I hear more rock and metal demos than ANYTHING on new gear. Go figure lol.

I mean come on Kesha for example, she might as well be a straight up rapper on some of her songs.

PS The OP is going to use this mic (think 800G) for hip hop I believe.

Happy Holidays!
Peace
Illumination
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

you are correct, hip hop, and melody type singing vox, cant wait to play with all this gear heh....quick question whats an OP...i keep seeing it on here, never seen it on any other forum...
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

OP = Original Poster.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
OP = Original Poster.
lol...should've put that in the other thread about things that we should know already but don't...i have to say though, it did take me a couple of days over at the gear page to work it out for myself though...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search