The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
song from a album im recording DAW Software
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

song from a album im recording

Hello ! so here's a 20 minute mix from a song im recording for a new album...

no sample replacement etc, just compression and EQ. Few audio edits i still need to do but so far I am actually really happy with how it's sounding! But always here to learn so that's why i'm posting.

It's in my new studio so i'm getting used to the acoustics! (lots of referencing!)

Have a listen! tell me what you think...we still have to add horns and vocals though!

(it's not a very good quality mp3!)
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

sounds really nice so far.. also hard to tell how good a mix is without all of the pieces in there. The more saturated guitar could use more low mid to me. But I also don't know what space the horns will be taking up, or where the vocals are going to sit in the mix, so please post it once you have them tracked. Drums sound great so far!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Great sounding tracks...and I can tell it's going to be a cool song when it's completed.

Definitely pretty dry sounding right now, but I would stay away from adding effects until everything else is tracked anyway.

On the latest song I am working on with someone my Pro Tools session got corrupted after I got done tracking everything. Tracking was done piece by piece, since it's a singer songwriter and we just had session musicians play whenever we got the chance.

Long story short, I started the mix from scratch again. It turned out 10 times better than my mix that evolved through the tracking process.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey guys - thanks, yeah im really happy with how it's sounding especially as it's my first recordings in my new studio.

Will probably layer a sample underneath the snare I think wanting a bit more "bite" out of it...

Need to clean up the lows frequencies too !

anyone else got any useful feedback?

Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

If you want more bite out of your snare, I would try a distortion effect in parallel first. Copy the track and gate it or strip silence, and then blend that distorted track. But I honestly think the snare sounds fine as-is. I'm assuming, since this is kind of a ska type of song, the vocals will be fairly out front. That will completely alter what needs to be done to your mix, so please post the vocals once you have them! Good stuff!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search