The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Score: vintage AKG D1000e dynamic Dynamic Microphones
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Score: vintage AKG D1000e dynamic

$28 on eBay. Initial tests makes this mic a great mic for snare or other drums.
More open and a very stylish top end presence than a 57. Will try it on guitar amps after the holidays. My 57 is already a few notches down from my top choice on my amps so we'll see how the D1000e does. Probably great mixed with a ribbon. A bonus: needs less gain than a 57 or 58.

Anyway, these can often be found cheap on eBay. Would make a great live vocal mic as well except for it pops on p's easily.

Merry Merry
JN
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

you'll be surprised how well it records male vocals! Plus, if you're capable of being careful, unscrew the headbasket and gently pull off the resonator from the capsule (you will probably need a small flat-edged screwdriver). Flattens out the mic and gives you a whole new texture.

I had one sitting in a drawer for YEARS and only recently pulled it out. I also try it without the headbasket on, and put a windscreen in front of it.

Congrats - it's a great little mic!

p.s. if it's really popping, check to see if the foam rubber is still intact under the sinterized (?) cover.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I bought five of these at the flea market several years ago for $10.00, apparently the guy got them from a church. I sold off four of them and kept one, it's a good alternative to a Shure and fits into my low budget frame of mind. I also have a BeyerDynamic X1N I pulled off the side of the local dump--of course it works!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Love this kind of find. I bought a University Sound (now Electro Voice) 660A hypercardioid dynamic at an antique mall for $12.50 and just used it on snare at a recent session. Best snare sound I've gotten so far. Wee!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I got 2 ev 627 s off leabay for 28 dollars already had one great mics. Things like these mics are always good scores.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
you'll be surprised how well it records male vocals! Plus, if you're capable of being careful, unscrew the headbasket and gently pull off the resonator from the capsule (you will probably need a small flat-edged screwdriver). Flattens out the mic and gives you a whole new texture.

I had one sitting in a drawer for YEARS and only recently pulled it out. I also try it without the headbasket on, and put a windscreen in front of it.

Congrats - it's a great little mic!

p.s. if it's really popping, check to see if the foam rubber is still intact under the sinterized (?) cover.
I did do a quick comparison on spoken/ softly sung vocals with the D1000 compared to a 57 and it has a much more condenser-like vibe to it. More Hi-fi than a 57, more output too. Kinda best of both worlds. I imagine it being a great mic for live acoustic guitar over a 57 in a folky context. For studio prolly great on some guitar amps, snare, etc...

thanks
JN
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search