The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to incorporate outboard gear without a console? Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Best way to incorporate outboard gear without a console?

Hey im running PT 8 LE and im starting to purchase some outboard gear. I know tracking with it is no problem, I just plug right into the inserts no problem. My question is for mixing. Is the only way to use outboard gear to send to an output on my interface and then back in to a new track armed and input monitoring? What latency issues am I going to run into? Even with the latency is my gear still useable? Is printing my compression and eq my best bet?

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS19 View Post
Hey im running PT 8 LE and im starting to purchase some outboard gear. I know tracking with it is no problem, I just plug right into the inserts no problem. My question is for mixing. Is the only way to use outboard gear to send to an output on my interface and then back in to a new track armed and input monitoring? What latency issues am I going to run into? Even with the latency is my gear still useable? Is printing my compression and eq my best bet?

what interface are you running?
Old 22nd December 2010
Regardless of my interface, how would one do it? Right now I have Tascam 1082 which only has 4 outs but im willing to upgrade if it means better interfacing with my outboard gear.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

A console has nothing to do with it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

send out of a channel that is connected to your outboard device, then send the output of the device back into a line level channel on your interface.

I often "write" the track and time adjust to fix any latency issues. That way you can use say 2 channels of great compression for more tracks.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The trick to doing this is by finding out how many samples of delay there is between the source track and the record-armed track.

Find the transient of a snare drum hit for example, then find the corresponding transient on the track you just recorded from your effects/outboard unit.

Then your next step is to use a very short delay like TimeAdjuster (is that the name??) to make the delayed track be in-sync with the others

I dont remember any more specifics than that sorry.. I've been out of school for a long time now....

who can complete this thought for me?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd try it just as you described; send an out to the external gear, then back in to an armed track to record. Analog gear has very low latency, so your bottleneck will likely be any added internal processing.

If it's a problem, you can fiddle with the buffer settings on the Tascam to get the lowest IO latency, from the settings tab (p.26 in manual).
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
I'd try it just as you described; send an out to the external gear, then back in to an armed track to record. Analog gear has very low latency, so your bottleneck will likely be any added internal processing.

If it's a problem, you can fiddle with the buffer settings on the Tascam to get the lowest IO latency, from the settings tab (p.26 in manual).
Does he have to put the TimeAdjuster plugin on all those other tracks? Or just one TimeAdjuster plugin on the "effect bouncing" track?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

it's the ad/da converters in the interface that create the latency. lowering or raising buffer size will change the amount of samples of latency, but there will still be latency that you will want to compensate for.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Regardless of my interface, how would one do it? Right now I have Tascam 1082 which only has 4 outs but im willing to upgrade if it means better interfacing with my outboard gear.
just asked because lets say you were using an mbox2 you would only be able to use outboard gear on the master bus because you only have I/O's 1&2. unless you were taking advantage of the spdif i/o's then you would be able to use and print outboard to individual tracks.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
also not sure how you're using the tascam with pt8 le as an interface. i can see it as a controller but pt8 le will not recognize it as an interface since it is not digi/avid hardware. you would be able to use it with pt9 though.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post
Does he have to put the TimeAdjuster plugin on all those other tracks? Or just one TimeAdjuster plugin on the "effect bouncing" track?
on all the other tracks unless he creates sub mixes. then that way he would only have to put time adjuster on each of the sub mix masters. or if the tracks using outboard gear were printed one could simply nudge those tracks back by the number of samples of latency to avoid placing time adjuster on every track/submix master.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1220 View Post
on all the other tracks unless he creates sub mixes. then that way he would only have to put time adjuster on each of the sub mix masters. or if the tracks using outboard gear were printed one could simply nudge those tracks back by the number of samples of latency to avoid placing time adjuster on every track/submix master.
Thanks for clarifying!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like kind of a pain, but I suppose you could just be prepared for that ahead of time by creating all your tracks, selecting all the tracks, and then Ctrl+option adding the TimeAdjuster to all those tracks. You could also Ctrl+Click+Start (windows) to disable/enable them when not needed

Might make more sense for you do it the Submix way, it would be less processing intensive perhaps. You could have a "effects coming back in" stereo aux submix and a "All other tracks" stereo aux track (and this one would obviously be time-delayed)
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sounds like kind of a pain, but I suppose you could just be prepared for that ahead of time by creating all your tracks, selecting all the tracks, and then Ctrl+option adding the TimeAdjuster to all those tracks. You could also Ctrl+Click+Start (windows) to disable/enable them when not needed

Might make more sense for you do it the Submix way, it would be less processing intensive perhaps. You could have a "effects coming back in" stereo aux submix and a "All other tracks" stereo aux track (and this one would obviously be time-delayed)
yes it can be pretty tedious process at times but not a bad work around if you have pt le and haven't upgraded to pt9 yet (like myself who still has yet to upgrade). the method i find best is printing the effect to a new track, and then nudging it back. this way i can mix and not worry about changing every single tracks time adjuster if i use another piece of outboard gear on something else. this also allows me to use my limited outboard gear on more than just one source.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1220 View Post
yes it can be pretty tedious process at times but not a bad work around if you have pt le and haven't upgraded to pt9 yet (like me). the method i find best is printing the effect to a new track, and then nudging it back. this way i can mix and not worry about changing every single tracks time adjuster if i use another piece of outboard gear on something else. this also allows me to use my limited outboard gear on more than just one source.
So then I assume that prior to getting PT9 you just dealt with the very minor time difference while tweaking the settings on your compressor/eq/etc. while mixing AND THEN printed it and nudged.

Thanks for the great info.. Makes me want to get PT 9 even more
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
So then I assume that prior to getting PT9 you just dealt with the very minor time difference while tweaking the settings on your compressor/eq/etc. while mixing AND THEN printed it and nudged.

Thanks for the great info.. Makes me want to get PT 9 even more
yep pretty much. yeah i can't wait to get pt9 myself. the auto delay compensation alone will help make mixing much less time consuming and more efficient
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search