The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Will Impact the Most? Headphone Amps
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

What Will Impact the Most?

Currently running through a BLA 896HD, and the only other preamp I have is a GT Brick. My mic collection is pretty stocked up, I think I've got what I need. Mainly doing rock drums.

I'd really like to spend about $500 (for something used) that will greatly impact my mixes.

Things I'm interested in (but don't want unless they will really help):

-BLA microclock
-BLA PM2 summing mixer
-new microphone preamp (BLA Auteur, Grace m101, or True pSolo)

I know the summing mixer is more than $500, but I'd be willing to save some more if people think that summing the drum buss out of the box will really help the overall level and vibe that much. Still curious about how much the clock or summing mixer will actually do.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Do you have a studio amp?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Do you have a studio amp?
I'm not sure I know what you mean? power amp? guitar amp? What a strange question...?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I would be extremely surprised to find any of those making large impact on your mixes.

I wouldn't waste your money with the microclock unless your current clock is bad. If you've only got the two preamps, I don't think a summing mixer would be a wise investment. I mean, is the summing in your DAW that bad? If you're working in a million dollar studio, then I could see how the subtle changes these devices would bring may be worth it, but for the low end guys, that money is better used elsewhere.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is "What's wrong with my mixes?" And be specific. Until you can locate the precise problem you're having, spending money on crap you don't need won't make anything sound any better.

For what it's worth, I have a BLA Auteur use it from time to time, like on drum OHs. It's a quick little preamp that handles the transients of cymbals well. It's got a very clean sound, but without being completely sterile. It doesn't have a ton of gain, can get noisy pretty quickly, and seems to only sound good with condenser microphones. I also don't like the cheap pots they used. It fills a niche in my collection well, but I would hate to have it as my only pre. But like I said, I don't think any of these are going to make a significant impact on your mixes.

Step one is always defining the problem. So define what it is exactly that you're lacking in your current setup before throwing away your money. You'll be richer and happier in the long run!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesweatt View Post
I'm not sure I know what you mean? power amp? guitar amp? What a strange question...?
A studio guitar amp will make more of an impact on your recordings than a new converter or preamp is what I was getting at (depending on what kind of crap people bring in, which is usually the highest form of crap).
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

ok I see what you mean.

Basically, I feel like I'm getting decent sounds, and decent mixes. Some of my latest work can be found here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...ent-track.html

I also don't have any outboard compressors, and I feel like the vocals and snare could use something real to 'put them in a box' before they reach the converters.

Also, my d/a from the 896 goes straight to my Yamaha MSP5 monitors... which I can tell aren't that great. No sub, so its hard to tell low end.

So basically its a long list of stuff that could be upgraded. Just wanna know what's going to make the most difference.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
A studio guitar amp will make more of an impact on your recordings than a new converter or preamp is what I was getting at (depending on what kind of crap people bring in, which is usually the highest form of crap).
I have access to and use frequently a Vox AC30cc, AC15cc, and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I know they aren't the best, but if you can't get pretty good tones out of them it's usually not the amp's fault.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

If you're mainly doing rock drums a stereocompressor for some parallel compression could be a useful addition. While I haven't tried it myself, the overstayer compressor seems to have a good rep on this board and suits your budget.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Sorry, replied after only reading your first post in which you specifically mentioned rock drums. In following posts you mentioned vocals and the link to your song... Sounds decent, but you could clean up that reverb I think. And since you mentioned it yourself, that snare could use some work as well. Did you try the SPL transient designer? Could work well on that snare.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

What Will Impact the Most?

Do you have any outboard comps? $500 is not much for major mojo but there are some cool comps in that range that will provide you with some.

Fmr pcb
Overstayer
Vla 2
Frn/rnl combo (4 channels!)
Dbx 160x

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

You know how to tune drums properly, right?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozef View Post
Sorry, replied after only reading your first post in which you specifically mentioned rock drums. In following posts you mentioned vocals and the link to your song... Sounds decent, but you could clean up that reverb I think. And since you mentioned it yourself, that snare could use some work as well. Did you try the SPL transient designer? Could work well on that snare.
Thanks for listening. Clean up the reverb on what instruments in particular? Mostly using Logic's Space Designer for all reverbs...

So to clean up the snare (which I like for the most part but its just preference) what would you do? Do you mean the SPL hardware or the UAD plugin? I don't have the ability to use the UAD plugin...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
You know how to tune drums properly, right?
haha. I believe so, and I would hope friends would agree.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Do you have any outboard comps? $500 is not much for major mojo but there are some cool comps in that range that will provide you with some.

Fmr pcb
Overstayer
Vla 2
Frn/rnl combo (4 channels!)
Dbx 160x

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Never heard of the overstayer. The PCB was definitely in my sights as well as the RNLA. I need something for snare, but also whenever I get the chance to record vocals, they NEVER sit right in the end. My chain for my voice is usually AT4047>GT Brick>896HD. My snare is usually 57>GT Brick> 896HD. A comp in there that is super balsy could be what I'm looking for who knows. "I need that magic people".
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesweatt View Post
Thanks for listening. Clean up the reverb on what instruments in particular? Mostly using Logic's Space Designer for all reverbs...

So to clean up the snare (which I like for the most part but its just preference) what would you do? Do you mean the SPL hardware or the UAD plugin? I don't have the ability to use the UAD plugin...
Concerning the reverb, it could lose some highs. It seems to be cluttering the mix a bit. On the vocals for example it causes some sibilance. With the spl I meant the plug-in, but like you say, it's preference, I like my snares shorter.

I've been considering the fmr pbc myself by the way, mainly for vocaltracking duties. It's mono though, so you wouldn't be able to use it on the drumbus, that's why I mentioned the overstayer. For information on that one just do a search on the forum, you'll find loads of threads about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search