The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording drums with only 2 dynamic mics Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Recording drums with only 2 dynamic mics

hi guys

appreciate your help here...

i need to record some drums for a lo-fi indie music band. i only have 2 dynamic mics plugged into an apogee duet to record with.

any advice you can give me regarding mic placement in the room etc?

cheers
rulesok
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

there are a number of threads covering this very question.

my feeling is overhead and kick, I like to have the kick as a unique element for control during the mix

but some people will prefer a down low left and right.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Phase coherent stereo. Like the "recorderman" method. search youtube for instructional videos.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

If stereo drums dont matter for the sound of this band/artist...

you could consider a Kick mic and a Snare mic, or a Kick mic and then a "Kit" mic (just aimed at the whole darn set in general) and then put it into a good stereo reverb
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd go for mono, one mike on the kick and one overhead/over shoulder/slightly behind drummer... whatever gives the best overall picture of the rest of the kit, with prejudice towards getting enough snare smack and not too much cymbals. If there's any way you could borrow a third mike and a tiny mixer and mix three dynamics to mono, I'd vote for a third mike on the snare, so kick, snare, overhead mixed in mono in that case.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

My 2-mic solution is 2 mics, on the floor (gaffa taped if need be), underneath the kick drum (not with kick sitting on top, but kick drums are circular, so just tuck them in as far as they can go with the kick on the floor), pointing at the drummer.

Both mics will get a healthy thud from the kick. One will get a nice volume of snare, hi hats, and crash, the other will get toms and ride (and the other crash if you have one). The kick drum provides a nice isolation from picking up each other's sources, and also isolates them well from the cymbals creating a nice fat drum-heavy sound (where overheads tend to be cymbal-heavy).

It's not a commonly used technique but it's definitely a good one. Try it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Smile

try this, place one mic overhead, dead center.

and for the other mic...
place it about 2 feet behind the drummer facing directly at the floor about 2 inches off the floor. (if you have a solid surface this will work best, try placing some wood under the mic or i have even used a piece of glass from a coffee table). once you get the mic placed run that out to a compressor or just insert it directly on the channel and compress the HECK out of it. this gave me a REALLY good old school hip hop sound and it picks up a good amount of the kick. let me know what you think if you do try this!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search