The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If I have but one piece of advice it's this...dump your presonus firebox Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

If I have but one piece of advice it's this...dump your presonus firebox

I just upgraded from a presonus firebox, to an echo audiofire 8. Holy ****, it literally is night and day.

I am hearing details in CD's that simply weren't there on the presonus.

Tonight, before I switched interfaces I did a simple recording on the old interface and then the new. Same song and arrangement. VERY noticeable difference. Unfortunately, I kind of rushed and my playing sucks so I won't be sharing it.

But, the whole point is...for not much more money than the firebox you can get a unit that blows the firebox the f' out of the water.

Of course the rest of the game like room treatment, monitoring, and etc are all up to you.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Cool! I've been looking at upgrading my interface to something with more than two channels, and I've long suspected there are serious differences between the 8 channel pre units, esp. in preamp quality and in the AD conversion. Do you think it's the preamps, or the conversion that's making a difference?

Glad to hear you like your Echo!

BTW, what the hell is your avatar up to?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I suspect it's all in the conversion. I didn't use the Echo's onboard pre's yet, as I have my own. But I can tell you the presonus ones were noisy as hell. I got 4 channels of pres already, plus the echo's on board 2 ( unfortunately only 2 ) leave me sitting pretty good at 6 pre's. I figure my 4 will do 'critical' things and the onboard ones will be for things not too up front in the mix, in case they suck\

oh...it's a pen in my avatar. im writing...um...i guess on your face.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I suspect it's all in the conversion. I didn't use the Echo's onboard pre's yet, as I have my own. But I can tell you the presonus ones were noisy as hell. I got 4 channels of pres already, plus the echo's on board 2 ( unfortunately only 2 ) leave me sitting pretty good at 6 pre's. I figure my 4 will do 'critical' things and the onboard ones will be for things not too up front in the mix, in case they suck\

oh...it's a pen in my avatar. im writing...um...i guess on your face.
thats a lawl.. Youll have to get me drunk first to do that though
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok, glad to hear it. I know my lower end conversion is effecting my mixes, but without comparisons, it's hard to pinpoint issues...

Your avatar gives me the impression of a slightly unbalanced dentist recovering from a bad cold....lol. I thought the pen was some kind of drill/dremel implement.

'Is it safe?'
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I used the onboard pres tonight, surprisingly enough gain to drive an sm7b.

it was ok. nothing exciting, but nothing bad either kind of just clean and honest. which I suppose is what you want from your interface.

whereas the presonus was noisy, and imparted all sorts of digital noise and artifacts, especially on sustained bass notes.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut
Not literally...
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

When the Firebox first came out is was one of the better small all-in-one units. But it's pretty ancient as far as interfaces go. The newer Firestudio line from Presonus is a vast improvement. Some great gear there.

I am always curious about the Audiofire boxes though, they get great reviews.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search