The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has michael joly lost his mind??????? Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Has michael joly lost his mind???????

Michael Joly has lost his mind??????
Old 22nd December 2010
if he did, I'm gonna go find it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

send me some modded mikes and i'll shill them for you!

since we are both "mike"
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemesmin1 View Post
Michael Joly has lost his mind??????
Nah, just enjoying the Winter Solstice / Lunar Eclipse day - the first since 1648!

But you know I'm starting to notice a trend. Just last week someone asked: "Is Michael Joly still alive?"
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Remember that one MIKE
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Nah, just enjoying the Winter Solstice / Lunar Eclipse day - the first since 1648!
Hey MIKE we all can see exactly what you trying to do. You here to get the threads shut down because no body care about your mics anymore i almost purchase one of your 1050 mods until i realize how much your capsules cost was, and how much more you are charging just to put in a capsule. How do you sleep at night knowing the kind of business you running? I will say this Stellars CM-6 Will Blow out any of your mods you know that. We all on GS know that is why you don't want to get in a shoot out. Instead you pay your friend 10,000 plus to do a shoot out that favor your mics. Just creat a great mod like all the other guys on GS. JJ Audio, Stellar you know the guys that keep you up at night.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey MIKE we all can see exactly what you trying to do. You here to get the threads shut down because no body care about your mics anymore i almost purchase one of your 1050 mods until i realize how much your capsules cost was, and how much more you are charging just to put in a capsule. How do you sleep at night knowing the kind of business you running? I will say this Stellars CM-6 Will Blow out any of your mods you know that. We all on GS know that is why you don't want to get in a shoot out. Instead you pay your friend 10,000 plus to do a shoot out that favor your mics. Just creat a great mod like all the other guys on GS. JJ Audio, Stellar you know the guys that keep you up at night.
I want what the troll is smoking!
Michael Joly will always have my respect. He's a great guy and does great things to mics. His mods are worth every penny. You might want to be a bit more polite and bring your complaints directly to him before spewing out a stream of unfounded insults on a public forum.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll bet the cops will be busy tonight.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 22nd December 2010

WTF is going on around here tonight? Did the eclipse do something to people? Invasion of the brain snatchers?
Solstice my ass!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor_glitch View Post
Michael Joly will always have my respect. He's a great guy and does great things to mics. His mods are worth every penny. You might want to be a bit more polite and bring your complaints directly to him before spewing out a stream of unfounded insults on a public forum.
Oops, asking for "smoking materials" is an infraction under the new New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up! function. And besides, its also an infraction of the "off topic" rule. But on the other hand, you could report mdemesmin1 for insulting an industry veteran. I think it all comes out in the wash.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
WTF is going on around here tonight? Did the eclipse do something to people? Invasion of the brain snatchers?
Solstice my ass!
Me? I'm just inexplicably drawn to the overuse of question marks.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 22nd December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
Me? I'm just inexplicably drawn to the overuse of question marks.

Cheers,
--
Don
Question marks? We don't got no question marks! We don't got to show you no stinkin' question marks.
I got yer question marks right here!
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Question marks? We don't got no question marks! We don't got to show you no stinkin' question marks.
I got yer question marks right here!
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????heh
How come there are no such things as "answer marks"? Is that fair?
Old 22nd December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
How come there are no such things as "answer marks"? Is that fair?
Damn, I'm stumped again.
Can I get back to you on this......(question mark omitted)
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I think Rohm Emanuel has a hand gesture that is an "answer mark".
Old 22nd December 2010

Quote:
I think Rohm Emanuel has a hand gesture that is an "answer mark".
By Joly, you may be right. And I always thought it was an exclamation point. Silly me.
Old 22nd December 2010
I will take that concept under advisement....
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor_glitch View Post

Really! Please Explain in clear detail what MJ do that is so great? I would like to know, I might just become his best client if you can prove that his worth what his charging. I know what the other modder's do. Apart from putting the same capsule in every mic and removing the inside layer of screen, what Exactly Mike Do for the money his charging?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll let Joel tell you - I'm still reporting myself for using $25 words.
Old 22nd December 2010
mike helped me mod my 990, and i didn't even buy anything from him.

he didn't have to do that for me. what have you done lately troll man?
Old 22nd December 2010

Quote:
I'll let Joel tell you - I'm still reporting myself for using $25 words.
Don't do it. Joel has been known to exaggerate the value of words on occasion. I know for a fact that those words can be bought on Ebay for $12.75.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
mike helped me mod my 990, and i didn't even buy anything from him.
What exactly was done? He nor you can't tell me???? really LOL I smell something funny here. I just want to know exactly what work he is doing for all the money his charging, I can get any of his mod's for a lot less from the other guys that mod.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
What exactly was done? He nor you can't tell me???? really LOL I smell something funny here. I just want to know exactly what work he is doing for all the money his charging, I can get any of his mod's for a lot less from the other guys that mod.
Why don't you find that out privately before attempting to publicly disparage someone?
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:

he did nothing but tell me advice. i asked advice on the mod, as i was doing it myself. and he gave me advice on what to do.

i figured the mod out myself and decided to work on it myself. i just wanted some advice at cap selections and small things. nothing to do with money as you so like to point out again. i just messaged him my questions, like you should have done.

if you can get it cheaper elsewhere then do it and shut up. nobody cares.

what good would it do to tell you anything? you'll just troll it away anyway. I'll bet you smell something funny.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, get together a big bunch of cowrie shells, two chicken breast bones and the tail feather of a raven plucked on a full moon and we'll get started.
Old 22nd December 2010

Quote:
I just want to know exactly what work he is doing for all the money his charging, I can get any of his mod's for a lot less from the other guys that mod
any of them alright I'd like a price on the nt1a mod including the headbasket redesign heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
My friend, listen-- Michael Joly is perhaps the premier mic mod guy, period. He has been doing it for years and years and in that time has selflessly shared his wisdom with anyone who cared to ask. Back in the era of the TapeOp Ribbon buy, which might have happened before you were born, he patiently walked me through the mods and as a result today I have a set of drum overheads the envy of my area code. Thousands upon thousands of people have seen fit to hire him to mod their mics and their testimonials grace this and innumerable other messageboards.

And I'll tell you one thing-- there are alot of outright clowns who try to do what he does-- some have some ability, some are legitimate comedy routines-- none of them has the combination of dedication to craft and basic human decency and superb insight and gifts that Michael has.

I hope you hear what I'm saying-- although I ain't holding my breath.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

What exactly was done? He nor you can't tell me???? really LOL I smell something funny here. I just want to know exactly what work he is doing for all the money his charging, I can get any of his mod's for a lot less from the other guys that mod.[/QUOTE]

Like any other business, People pay him for his expertise. As an engineer, people pay me, not because of my stuff, but because I know how to use my stuff. Mr. Joly knows how to make microphones better microphones. I don't. So I will pay him for his ability to do something that I can't. If you can find other people to do it cheaper than him, then go ahead and do it and shut up about it. I can buy a Neve, and I can also buy a Behringer Eurodesk. They are both preamps, and eq's, and wires etc... but guess what? The Neve can do things that the Behringer just doesn't know how to do. So I'm gonna go with the Neve if I can afford it. I'm not gonna bitch about how expensive it is just because I don't know how it works
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
My friend, listen-- Michael Joly is perhaps the premier mic mod guy, period. He has been doing it for years and years and in that time has selflessly shared his wisdom with anyone who cared to ask. Back in the era of the TapeOp Ribbon buy, which might have happened before you were born, he patiently walked me through the mods and as a result today I have a set of drum overheads the envy of my area code. Thousands upon thousands of people have seen fit to hire him to mod their mics and their testimonials grace this and innumerable other messageboards.

And I'll tell you one thing-- there are alot of outright clowns who try to do what he does-- some have some ability, some are legitimate comedy routines-- none of them has the combination of dedication to craft and basic human decency and superb insight and gifts that Michael has.

I hope you hear what I'm saying-- although I ain't holding my breath.
The Guy you speak so highly of I would love to do business with.

...when I say the guy's losing his mind, I'm talking about this guy:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6127183-post189.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6127126-post37.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6127156-post41.html
Old 22nd December 2010
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:

You know man,, I'm just a musician/producer/songwriter...I don't know what the hell he did to my 319..dont care..Dont know what BLA did to my Tango 24 either...dont care...what I do know is both sound a whooole lot better then what I sent in..

Have you used any of his mics? If you can get one cheaper then.. get on with it..

If you haven't heard/used one of his mods then what is the point?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search