The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has michael joly lost his mind??????? Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd December 2010
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Wink

You don't have to "lose your mind" to post on Low End...

But it helps!heh

Maybe in honor of this thread Michael might come out with the "Killer Kane"
mic mod, inspired by the cult film
"The Ninth Configuration" aka "The Mad Molecule". (one of the best bar fight scenes EVER BTW).

Chris
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemesmin1 View Post
The Guy you speak so highly of I would love to do business with.

...when I say the guy's losing his mind, I'm talking about this guy:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6127183-post189.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6127126-post37.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6127156-post41.html
Alright, I read each and every one of those posts you link to-- doesn't sound like anyone's losing anything other than his patience-- which might not be your or my style, but have you or I been dogged relentlessly by street teams of horse**** artists? I know I haven't, and I of course can't speak for you, but if I had, you might see my temper flare slightly.

Everyone has their limit-- including everyone you probably think of as your personal heroes. I've seen the ugliness-- jealousy can drive people into nastiness and these cutting little snippy bitchy comments can wear people down. Does Michael not have a Christ-like forbearance with all this? No? Well... damn!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

In response to the questions about what he does and how he can charge so much for what he does, take a look over on the prodigy-pro DIY forums for perspective. You can make your own 1176 for around $500. Instructions are out there, parts are out there, it's easy. Do you go and freak out at Purple audio for making an 1176 clone and charging $1650 for something you can make for $500? No! Why? You're paying for expertise and labour. They work hard to get it right and put their own twist on it.
Sure if you know what you're doing, you might be able to do what MJ does to mics for a lot cheaper. That's fine, go do it. But there's a layer of quality control and years of experience you can count on when you get something from MJ, or when you order an MC77 from Purple.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What exactly was done? He nor you can't tell me???? really LOL I smell something funny here. I just want to know exactly what work he is doing for all the money his charging, I can get any of his mod's for a lot less from the other guys that mod.
If you think he's charging a lot, I think you need to make more money pal.
He did a good job for me...very professional. From your posts it seems you've never had him do anything, so your point of reference is nowhere.
You sir, are a knucklehead.
L.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Alright, I read each and every one of those posts you link to-- doesn't sound like anyone's losing anything other than his patience-- which might not be your or my style, but have you or I been dogged relentlessly by street teams of horse**** artists? I know I haven't, and I of course can't speak for you, but if I had, you might see my temper flare slightly.

Everyone has their limit-- including everyone you probably think of as your personal heroes. I've seen the ugliness-- jealousy can drive people into nastiness and these cutting little snippy bitchy comments can wear people down. Does Michael not have a Christ-like forbearance with all this? No? Well... damn!
I love this. Definitely describes the last few weeks.

And almost every anti-MJ poster has like 10 posts or less. Hmm I SMELL SOMETHING FISHY
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

i'd personally like to take this moment to randomly insult some person whom i have never met because i am unable to understand what they are doing.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Hey, I just reported my first poster for harassing. I'm sick of these bottom feeders and I applaud Jules for trying to police the issue. I urge everyone else to consider this option. You KNOW the kind of posters I'm talking about!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey MIKE we all can see exactly what you trying to do. You here to get the threads shut down because no body care about your mics anymore i almost purchase one of your 1050 mods until i realize how much your capsules cost was, and how much more you are charging just to put in a capsule. How do you sleep at night knowing the kind of business you running? I will say this Stellars CM-6 Will Blow out any of your mods you know that. We all on GS know that is why you don't want to get in a shoot out. Instead you pay your friend 10,000 plus to do a shoot out that favor your mics. Just creat a great mod like all the other guys on GS. JJ Audio, Stellar you know the guys that keep you up at night.
Go....... away........ troll

Wait...... dfegad ahhhhhh thanks... I hope I didn't get any in your eyes heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

MJ has always been very gracious with his wealth of knowledge, unlike many trolls who have nothing to offer, but offer it anyway. BTW-- VERY glad to see you back Mr Joly, many of us missed you. This other clown, not so much.

Jeff
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
My friend, listen-- Michael Joly is perhaps the premier mic mod guy, period. He has been doing it for years and years and in that time has selflessly shared his wisdom with anyone who cared to ask. Back in the era of the TapeOp Ribbon buy, which might have happened before you were born, he patiently walked me through the mods and as a result today I have a set of drum overheads the envy of my area code. Thousands upon thousands of people have seen fit to hire him to mod their mics and their testimonials grace this and innumerable other messageboards.

And I'll tell you one thing-- there are alot of outright clowns who try to do what he does-- some have some ability, some are legitimate comedy routines-- none of them has the combination of dedication to craft and basic human decency and superb insight and gifts that Michael has.

I hope you hear what I'm saying-- although I ain't holding my breath.

Joel, what happened? I didn't feel like I needed to drop a tab to understand your post. heh heh heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

We can all be grateful for the "ignore list" option.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

After reading those three posts from MJ...... I will admit they are a little scary...... but no more scary than the next poster.

I don't mind if he has lost his mind, and whether he scares me or not, or is willing to publicly post his furious anger and frustrations........ I still hear nothing but praise for his work.

If I was to encounter that kind of speaking face to face I might go running, but regardless of all this, and the fact that none of the stuff he said personally offended me...... (and I never entice(antagonize) people to speak this way to me anyway.......)

I still plan to have him mod my MK-219 based on the fact that he does great work.......
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
I love this. Definitely describes the last few weeks.

And almost every anti-MJ poster has like 10 posts or less. Hmm I SMELL SOMETHING FISHY

Indeed. And somehow, after declaring MJ the anti-Christ, they always seem to have a uniformly consistent answer about WHO you should go to to mod your mic(s). It's hard to get people to agree on the internet, but these jokers all seem to all be of one mind. More power to em, but....Phew..... heh

I agree. Sure smells fishy.

What I want to know from them though, is why someone can't charge whatEVER they want. It's up to the buyer to decide. Personally, I think MJ's a bargain for his years of expertise and ears. Others think he's overpriced. Fine. Get your mics modded by the cheap guys. MJ has too much work anyway. Having the whiners go elsewhere helps me get to the front of the wait-line quicker. heh

I suspect they will be here any time now, and this thread will be shut down faster than a new york minute.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I for one got a good laugh out of the incoherent rants coming from this dork.

I imagine him to be a 47 year old Lithuanian (no offence to REAL Lithuanians btw) holed up in an attic somewhere in Brookly with a P-90 with 64mb of ram and a cracked copy of Cubasis (I know) plus a Tandy boundary mic modded to run off phantom power.
Underneath his single cot-style bed is a plastic model of an AK47 and a copy of the thoughts of Chariman Mao, together with a months supply of dry-pack TV dinners and of course Instant Ramen.
He hasn`t shaved in threee weeks but still has large patchy gaps in his beard, his feet smell so bad even the mice moved out and he hs now turned his undershorts four times.
He has never actually recorded anything at all, but has read so many gearhead forums, in his mind he is the alternative Bob Clearmountain.

In the dim glow of his 12" monorchrome CRT monitor, his eyes gleam with excitement as he delivers yet another knockout blow to the forces of Imperialist Mic Modding by dissing MJ once again....

The scary part is, I am probably not a million miles from the truth here....

Last edited by ivansc; 22nd December 2010 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: I karnt spel too sav my lief
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Man this board is just getting wacky!!
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Everyone has their limit--
I'm just wondering about the point behind this post then:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6025741-post1.html
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search