The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good $100-$300 Mic for Vocals? Buying as a gift tomorrow. Cut down nose-holding vocs? Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Good $100-$300 Mic for Vocals? Buying as a gift tomorrow. Cut down nose-holding vocs?

Hey, I'm looking to buy a mic for my brother. He's good at piano and wants to start singing along with it.

He already has a Midi Piano, a good Piano VST Library, and a Line 6 UX2 Pre-Amp

I was looking at the SM57, SM58, AKG 220, AKG 420, and Rode NT1A. I'm a complete novice when it comes to recording, so if you guys could give your recommendation on a good mic for this price range, I would greatly appreciate it.

When he sings high notes, he sounds alright, but kind of sounds like he's holding his nose while he's singing a little bit. I know the proper thing to do for this would be to get him singing lessons. BUT... I figured a good mic would be nicer :P

But is there a mic that can cut down on the nose-holding part of the vocals and bring out the rest of his voice? I will attach a sample later if I can find one. He hits all the pitches, it's just its a bit annoying.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewxp View Post
Hey, I'm looking to buy a mic for my brother. He's good at piano and wants to start singing along with it.

He already has a Midi Piano, a good Piano VST Library, and a Line 6 UX2 Pre-Amp

I was looking at the SM57, SM58, AKG 220, AKG 420, and Rode NT1A. I'm a complete novice when it comes to recording, so if you guys could give your recommendation on a good mic for this price range, I would greatly appreciate it.

When he sings high notes, he sounds alright, but kind of sounds like he's holding his nose while he's singing a little bit. I know the proper thing to do for this would be to get him singing lessons. BUT... I figured a good mic would be nicer :P

But is there a mic that can cut down on the nose-holding part of the vocals and bring out the rest of his voice? I will attach a sample later if I can find one. He hits all the pitches, it's just its a bit annoying.
For that price, I would recommend the MXL 2003a or V67G.

Or maybe even the CAD e300(2), Trion 8000 or MXL V69ME, but it can get sibilant. And shop around on ebay for some really great prices.

Those are all great mics!

Happy holidays

Last edited by mista min; 22nd December 2010 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Kept thinking of better suggestions....
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I would recommend a sm57. From experience it sounds better than a 58 which I think is almost unuseable. The Cheaper condensers can be great mics. I own plenty but need there guts replaced before being acceptable for a quality recording.

The sm57 will record just about anything well right out of the box you don't need some super preamp to have enough gain or make it sound good and there built like tanks.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewxp View Post

switching the mic could help but, this could also perhaps be fixed with a change in mic positioning. if the vocals sound nasal, get the mic pointed away from his nose as best as you can, getting it slightly off-axis might help. what mic is he currently using?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
I would recommend a sm57. From experience it sounds better than a 58 which I think is almost unuseable. The Cheaper condensers can be great mics. I own plenty but need there guts replaced before being acceptable for a quality recording.

The sm57 will record just about anything well right out of the box you don't need some super preamp to have enough gain or make it sound good and there built like tanks.
The Sm57 and SM58 are the same mic elements in different bodies.

"they're"
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, I get the nasally thing a lot on my own voice, the '57 is a great mic with a good pre...but not a go-to mic by any means for me...but at times it's a good fit. Still a must have tool for a variety of other things though.

I found the V67G to be pretty good for a cheap mic, but just like any other cheap mic it has it's limitations.

You've probably heard before (and will again), starting from scratch to pick the right mic for any voice will be expensive. Your best bet is to stick with the Shure's, AT's, AKG's of the world. Only reason is because your initial investment will retain it's value. You buy and sell several mics to find the right fit and that philosophy makes a lot of sense!

IMHO; a Shure KSM32 or 44, a AT4050 or AT4047, or an AKG 414 would be a great place to start. All are above your budget (but can be within if you find a deal used). All will basically sell for what you got them for. I bought an AT4050 for $300, used it for a few months and sold it for $400...6 months later I realised it worked the best of several mics I flipped, and found another for $300. Try doing that with an MXL.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

The 2003a sounds good right out of the box, and is totally affordable...
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

SM58. Good live mic too if he chooses to begin playing in public.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

MXL V67G. I have the V67G and the 2003a, and found the 2003a to sound more nasally on my voice than the V67G. I'd say first choice for under $100 is the V67G...second is the SM57.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search