The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Projects C1 is so close. Similar mics? T3? Soundclips? Condenser Microphones
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Arrow Studio Projects C1 is so close. Similar mics? T3? Soundclips?

Hi!

I've been trying to find suitable vocal mic for a project I'm working on. I think that Studio Projects C1 is closest to what I'm looking for. It just has that sometimes metallic high end that I'd like to get rid off. So what are my reasonably priced options? Studio Projects T3 might be the limit I could invest if it fixes the high end. If somebody have soundclips that compare C1 and T3, I'd really appreciate them.

Modding is not an option at this point.

Mics I've tried: Rode NT1A, Rode K2, AKG C4000b, AKG C214, AT4033, AT4040, AT4047, SE z5600a, AIR Barracuda and Swordfish... and some dynamics.

Preamps: I could go for a preamp also, but I think mics will do more for me. I have SPL Goldmike mk2 (Mullard and others as well) and I have tried Studio Projects VTB1 and ART Tube MP. Well, one far-fetched idea is to buy ISA One and use impedance knob to darken the C1.

Thanks in advance!
Tommi
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Here ya go. T3 used on acoustic guitar, vocals, and horns.
Attached Files

LizWilliams.mp3 (2.43 MB, 1042 views)

Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks!

I've actually listened to that clip many times. It's hard to judge based on that clip since it sounds pro and on the other hand there's nothing to compare it to.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Hi,

Click the links to my band's MySpace page below. All lead vox were done with a T-3 in Cardiod Mode in my basement studio. Backing vox were a C-1 on most of the tracks with an occassional Cascade Fathead ribbon and an AT 4050 (used primarily on Click, Click Boom gang backing vox). My basement studio is FAR from perfect and all was recorded ITB through an Aardvark Q-10 interface using its built in pres. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks! I'll listen to your songs.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi Inkila View Post
Modding is not an option at this point.
...you're making a BIG mistake by ruling that out...no other option can give you the cost vs. benefit results...trust me, been there, done that...

...if you like the C1, but it just misses what you're after...here's the solution:

Studio Projects C1 mod

...you will be amazed by the improvement...

...now, the T3 is an excellent stock tube mic, BUT this one sounds better and costs less (again...been there):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...icrophone.html
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

I would mod the mic but given the timetable I'm hoping to keep the mod isn't possible to do.

Actually at the moment I'm planning to buy C3 I found and see if it's high end a bit more pleasant like most of discussions indicate. Maybe then I could send the C1 for modding.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would mod the mic but given the timetable I'm hoping to keep the mod isn't possible to do.

Actually at the moment I'm planning to buy C3 I found and see if it's high end a bit more pleasant like most of discussions indicate. Maybe then I could send the C1 for modding.
...the C3 will not sound different...contact Jim at JJ Audio...he may be able to loan you a modded version that he has in stock while your mic is being modded...he's a great guy and this mod is stunning!...the modded C1 will go head-to-head with mics costing 5 times the price...no joke!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

If the sea wouldn't be on the way I'd mod the mic asap. Modding is on my list at some point but it's not that easy arrange from here.

What comes to C3, well, there are some technical differences that will make it sound a bit different... is it enough, it's hard to tell without hearing. In any case, it's an option and I guess one C3 wouldn't hurt having around.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's hard to judge based on that clip since it sounds pro and on the other hand there's nothing to compare it to.
Well, at least you know that it is capable of producing professional results, which the C1 is capable of producing as well btw
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Well, at least you know that it is capable of producing professional results, which the C1 is capable of producing as well btw
True
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...you're making a BIG mistake by ruling that out...no other option can give you the cost vs. benefit results...trust me, been there, done that...

...if you like the C1, but it just misses what you're after...here's the solution:

Studio Projects C1 mod

...you will be amazed by the improvement...

...now, the T3 is an excellent stock tube mic, BUT this one sounds better and costs less (again...been there):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...icrophone.html
BTW, that Stellar is probably originally the same mic as A.I.R. Swordfish.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Here ya go. T3 used on acoustic guitar, vocals, and horns.

Damn Harvey that sounds great! Did you mix that one?
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
I like this!!! A lot thumbsup

Nice, nice heh

And it's in the EU
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...only the body I suspect...the Swordfish is based on a 6072A circuit (like the Nady 1050 or Advanced Audio CM47) while the CM-6 uses an EF86 tube with a plate follower circuit...also the Swordfish sells for $100US higher price than the CM-6...
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
...only the body I suspect...the Swordfish is based on a 6072A circuit (like the Nady 1050 or Advanced Audio CM47) while the CM-6 uses an EF86 tube with a plate follower circuit...also the Swordfish sells for $100US higher price than the CM-6...
Yea, but he's in the EU and trust me... importing good from the US is a very difficult and stressful thing.... I do it and man, it isn't fun.

Buy the time you pay the shipping, import and the Value Added Tax (VAT) you are well into the $100 extra dollars. Also, with the 6072 tube, NOS tubes that fit that pin configuration and voltage will be more easily available and more inexpensive. And he's using a K47 capsule.

But still, the proof is in the pudding. We need to here some audio takes heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:

We need modders in the EU!!!!!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Buy the time you pay the shipping, import and the Value Added Tax (VAT) you are well into the $100 extra dollars. Also, with the 6072 tube, NOS tubes that fit that pin configuration and voltage will be more easily available and more inexpensive. And he's using a K47 capsule.

But still, the proof is in the pudding. We need to here some audio takes heh
...yeah, I can imagine...I'm trying to bring some mics in from Vienna...same problem...but I have to disagree with you on the tubes...here in the US, good quality NOS EF86 or equivalent tubes are much cheaper and more plentiful than NOS 6072 tubes (other than the newer Electro-Harmonix re-issues)...vintage 6072 tubes are going for ridiculous prices lately...glad I have a stash of them...but you can go with any of the 12AT7 variants, you just don't get the same exact vibe...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

I have a C1 and I agree that it does have a harsh upper end. SM7B rocks. I also like my MXL v69m.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
...yeah, I can imagine...I'm trying to bring some mics in from Vienna...same problem...but I have to disagree with you on the tubes...here in the US, good quality NOS EF86 or equivalent tubes are much cheaper and more plentiful than NOS 6072 tubes (other than the newer Electro-Harmonix re-issues)...vintage 6072 tubes are going for ridiculous prices lately...glad I have a stash of them...but you can go with any of the 12AT7 variants, you just don't get the same exact vibe...
Yea, I was referring to the 12AT7's as that exact option, not the 6072's... NO sir :/

What is it ... like $100 for a GE 5star 6072... maybe more????
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
What is it ... like $100 for a GE 5star 6072... maybe more????
...hard to believe, but true...5 years ago I was buying NOS 5-Star GE 6072 tubes for $10-15 each...and then consider what the quality of these tubes are...definately better off buying a half dozen NOS 6201 and picking the best of the bunch for a lot less money...
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I found a good deal on SP T3 and bought it. Based on three takes, I think it will handle the project well.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found a good deal on SP T3 and bought it. Based on three takes, I think it will handle the project well.
...speaking of tubes, pop a better tube, like an NOS 6072 in that T3 and hear the mic really smooth out!...nice mic
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...speaking of tubes, pop a better tube, like an NOS 6072 in that T3 and hear the mic really smooth out!...nice mic
New tube is already on my list! I'm really hoping those odd and old tube boxes from '85 I saw in local store were 6072's...
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
Damn Harvey that sounds great! Did you mix that one?
Nope, that was my son's (Alex) project. He did a great job producing, tracking, and mixing that album.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search