The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to connect Really Nice Compressor to Mbox Pro Audio Interfaces
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

How to connect Really Nice Compressor to Mbox Pro

I have decided to try out some outboard gear (have previously been using vsts only) so upon reading a bit of research found that the “Really Nice Compressor” seemed to be well thought of and relatively affordable. I have recently also purchased one of the new Avid Mbox Pros as I got a deal on it.

I tried to connect the RNC by having an output from the Mbox Pro going to one of its inputs and then sending the output to one of the Mbox pros inputs. In Abelton Live (my DAW for composing although I use Pro Tools for mixing) I set the various i/o as seemed correct but no sound (evident by the gain reduction meter not moving) seemed to be going into the RNC and therefore noting was routing back in.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Record Armed? Threshold Correct? Routed back in correctly. Do you get any signal back in from the comp on the channel?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Yep - all of that done - only thing I can think is that I have to use the insert i/o's rather than just the straight input and output connections
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Are you using balanced cables?
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Nut

Having a similar problem here; can't get the Mbox 3 Pro to work with outboard gear in the mixing process- is post-production of this sort (sending out and back in) impossible with the Mbox Pro? It seems you can only utilize one group of outs at a time via the speaker select button... Seems kind of ridiculous. Does such a process require the insert cables? Settings in the "driver control panel"? How did you resolve your problem? Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search