The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
obstructed audio monitors? Studio Headphones
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

obstructed audio monitors?

I'm looking at a compact home studio where it would be convenient to have the audio monitors partly or completely obstructed by the computer monitor(s). The audio monitors would be, maybe, one foot behind the computer monitors.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal, but I don't trust my ears on this.

What do you think? Is it a big deal?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Very big deal. Don't do it. You are mixing by hearing only reflections and not direct sound. 100% wrong.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'm looking at a compact home studio where it would be convenient to have the audio monitors partly or completely obstructed by the computer monitor(s). The audio monitors would be, maybe, one foot behind the computer monitors.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal, but I don't trust my ears on this.

What do you think? Is it a big deal?
I assume they are 2-way monitors? If so, you should probably avoid it.

If they are 3-way (IE LF driver MF driver HF driver) then you are fine as long as the HF and MF are not obstructed. Blocking the LF driver in a 3-way design doesn't cause any issues.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

If they are 3-way (IE LF driver MF driver HF driver) then you are fine as long as the HF and MF are not obstructed. Blocking the LF driver in a 3-way design doesn't cause any issues.[/QUOTE]
Not being a smartass at all, but could you please explain why it doesnt matter if the LF driver is blocked? wouldn't this cause you to hear only the reflection of the low end as well?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionaudio View Post
If they are 3-way (IE LF driver MF driver HF driver) then you are fine as long as the HF and MF are not obstructed. Blocking the LF driver in a 3-way design doesn't cause any issues.
Not being a smartass at all, but could you please explain why it doesnt matter if the LF driver is blocked? wouldn't this cause you to hear only the reflection of the low end as well?[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you put a bass trap in between the LF driver and the ear you'd get a problem. But a computer screen, considering the wavelength of the frequencies produced by the LF driver, is not going to absorb or reflect any of the bottom end, it'll go straight through it.

What do you notice about the sound system when you go to a concert? All the Mid-Top cabinets are up high because if the audience got in the way, they'd soak up those frequencies. So they're above the audience where they can travel to the ears un-interrupted. The bass bins however, are on the floor, because the people don't absorb nor reflect the bass coming out of them.

If you see this pic of Abbey Road's penthouse studio, you will see that only one of the LF drivers in each of the B&W speakers is visible over the console, and even that is not entirely over the meter bridge.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

therealbigd... thanks!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Also, remember that to hear the soundstage properly, there should be a clear path from the right speaker to your left ear, and vice versa. That is one reason why the soundstage in headphones is so different from speakers, because each ear is isolated to one side. Blocking that in your monitor setup will throw off your perception.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

it IS interesting, though, that you see this obstruction all of the time in pics of studios. I've always puzzled over that...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search