The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Feedback on pod studio setup Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Radio talk show setup - feedback wanted

I'm planning on expanding my home studio and moving it to another space for more serious pod work. I'm currently working on a custom made desk that would house all this, with a rack box etc. I listed the gear I could think of below. Hopefully, you can give me some feedback on it, tell me what might be "wrong" or missing etc. Feel free to suggest other brands/models etc. too.

Keep in mind this is supposed to be a complete, pro-grade studio setup for web-only talkshows, pre-recorded (hence, all "mastering" suck as limiter, eq etc. of the final mix till take place itb). I'm aiming for a good-quality "american" talkshow type sound. I will record thru the main mix output in stereo so I need so have a fairly finished sound in terms of balance and dynamics so the only thing that remains is final processing and mp3 encoding. Room treatment etc. is not listed. I will also feature some live music but I have a buddy with a mobile rig that will take care of all the recording and just feed me a finished signal of that to the console. So I won't be needing additional gear for that type of stuff.

I frequently have a co-host in the "studio" and a call-in guest over the hybrid and the three of us talk about current events for 15+ minutes. I want this setup to work flawlessly. We all need to sound good and equally loud, all need to hear each other perfectly, all faders need to be up at once without feedback or other sound problems and if no one's talking I want zero audible noise. This is very important to me as the last place I rented could not facilitate this in a satisfying way. I prepare for hours on end and I want to be able to relax during "broadcast" and not mess around with the gear too much even though I'm technically the engineer. Sometimes, I might have two callers-in and myself, this too needs to work perfectly. A "*" means I already own this piece.

Basic setup:
allen & heath xb14 console
dbx 1066 or maybe a Drawmer MX30, comp/gate/limiter for vox
(the airtools voice x2 looked pretty cool too, and would save space. that might be an alternative to the comps and channel strips for voice and phone processing.)

*jk digital phone hybrid (has agc and caller ducking etc)
symetrix 528e (for phone processing, this has sweepable parametric which can be used as a bandpass basically)

*2 sony 7506's
2 mics, heil or ev dynamics
*active monitors (smallest krk rokit's and a 6301b)

various acessories such as cables, status lamp, desk light, usb pad, boom arms, shockmounts, power line, telephone, power conditioner, clock etc...

*small, fanless ssd computer (dual core, 4 gig ram) with dual monitors, external backup drive etc.
rack mountable usb or fw interface (thinking maybe motu or echo)
*portable field recorder (oade modded marantz, omni dynamic)

Later on, or in case of a bigger budget:
2 fmr rnp or black lion auteur's (to get better preamps)
1 extra set of mic&cans (identical to the ones i already have)
1 extra comp (for additional mic)
1 extra phone hybrid or change to a dual
1 extra 528e for the above

Last edited by petsematary; 21st December 2010 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Changed a couple of things after contemplating this, skipped the RNC's due to no dual mono mode etc.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Really, no one? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I think your title is getting the wrong viewers.

Maybe try "radio talk show setup feedback" or something along those lines.

I was expecting to read something about someone using line 6 gear to setup a 'studio'!

I can't offer any good advice, I haven't done any talk-show audio in about 20 years!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi, thanks. I tried changing the topic title in advanced mode but it doesn't seem to be displaying the right title anyway.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Suitcase View Post
I think your title is getting the wrong viewers.

Maybe try "radio talk show setup feedback" or something along those lines.

I was expecting to read something about someone using line 6 gear to setup a 'studio'!

I can't offer any good advice, I haven't done any talk-show audio in about 20 years!
+1 i was expecting the same thing. i'm sure someone with expertise in this area can help if you get them to look in here with a new title. good luck! sounds like a cool project.
Old 8th August 2011
Did you every purchase the XB14? I was looking at this little desk from A&H and was wondering what people's feedback was on it. Are the preamps the typical ZED fare or something a bit different?
Old 15th August 2011
Here for the gear

I would also love to know how your studio turned out. I am in the process of building something similar. photos? audio samples? I am trying to nail the vocal sound for our podcast and would love any tips you might have come by. (right now I am doing it all in post with plugins though)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search