The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Art Tube MP Single-Channel Preamps
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted User
Art Tube MP

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy an interface, to use on projects at home. I don't have a very good set up, but am begining to start a collection. I'm acquiring 3 x Shure SM57's for Christmas, and have an MXL 909. I currently use the Line 6 Toneport UX1 as an interface, which is sufficient for guitar and vocals, but doesn't have phantom power.

I was looking at the ART Tube interfaces and wondered what people thought of them? They're relatively cheap, and therefore seem like a good investment for the short term. What's the difference between the two and what are peoples experiences?

Thanks very much,

Jampottt

ART Tube MP

ART Tube MP Studio V3 Tube Mic Pre-amp
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

instead of getting 3 sm57, get one sm7b

and art tube mp v3 is alright, does the job... someone named chris on this forum believed art preamps are as good as neve but with different flavor... but u shouldn't believe that...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
instead of getting 3 sm57, get one sm7b
So...if he needs to mic 3 guitar cabinets, just use one mic, right?

tutt
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

What are you looking for? An interface really? Because the links to the gear you posted and what you describe are Preamps, not interfaces.... (Or do you need an interface with preamps? )

Anyways, if you dont have much money, the Art Tube MP is a good choice (if you need a preamp). Check this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...eat-river.html
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted User
Hi Guys,

Well to be honest, I could do with both a new interface and a pre-amp. Is the ART USB Dual Pre any good?

ART USB Dual Pre - USB Interface

Sorry for the millions of questions.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
Hi Guys,

Well to be honest, I could do with both a new interface and a pre-amp. Is the ART USB Dual Pre any good?

ART USB Dual Pre - USB Interface

Sorry for the millions of questions.
Just got one for a friend of mine for Christmas. The only gripe I read in all the reviews seemed to be the battery compartment. Everyone seemed to like the pre's on it though. I'll have to wait til after the holidays to report back from our perspective on how it works. That's all I know about it.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

If you're short on budget, just have one good mic, one good preamp' and a nice interface, that could do the job even with a cheap DAW, see what I mean ?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I really love my ART MPA Pro Gold, and I like my ART TubePre, but for your purpose starting out, check out the E-MU 0202 or 0404 USB pres. The pres are decent, I've never had a problem with my 0404.

The little ART is good, and I have a Presonus tube pre that I like, but you still need an interface.

Just my $.02...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Why would you need 3 57's if you're using only 2 simultaneous channels? If you want to ever do drums, I suggest an interface that has 8 mic pres, such as a firepod or tascam.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Why not buy a USB soundcard with 4 or so pre's built in? The ART stuff is not better than that anyway, so why bother buying separate units. Get as many mics as you need at one time and a micpre/interface and you're done.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Your choice of interface will depend on the usage you'll want to achieve. For example if you want to mic up in stereo an acoustic guitar, the Art doesn't take 2 inputs at once.

As for my knowledge on the ART Tube MP:
1) it works fine
2) it is not that noisy if you don't push hard the gain. You might need to push it if you use some dynamic mics with it
3) it sounds really nice on bass guitar
4) i wish it would take 2 inputs at once.
Old 21st December 2010
Deleted User
Art Tube MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary
Why not buy a USB soundcard with 4 or so pre's built in? The ART stuff is not better than that anyway, so why bother buying separate units. Get as many mics as you need at one time and a micpre/interface and you're done.
A guy wants me to record him in the newyear, therefore the 2 channel interface would be perfect. I'll then save up for an 8 channel interface. Something like the 2626.

Thanks for your words of wisdom so far!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I bought a used edirol UA-25 a while back and I'm a happy camper. It's got 2 channels, preamps, a limiter, headphone output for monitoring while you overdub or even do some headphone mixing. has all sorts of input and out options. It's awesome as a quick way to have both preamps and an interface and I've been able to use it with a few laptops without having installation issues. here's one I see going for $125 but the seller never fully tested that one.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Don't buy the Art Tube MP. It will be the bottle neck in your chain and you will want to get rid of it. I recommend saving a little longer for at least an M-Audio DMP3 or something you will be able to get some legitimate use out of.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Tascam US-1641...8 mic pre USB interface with decent preamps. Not enough clean gain to run an SM7b, but will handle just about everything else just fine.

I kind of agree with others...Why 3 SM57's? I can see using two, but if I were you I'd go for a little more variety. Maybe an SM57, MXL V67G and 2003a. Just my two cents.

Oh, and avoid the Art Tube MP. I had it, and it sucked. It was really noisy and sounded like crap. I returned it and got my money back. If it's just a preamp you want, look for an M-Audio DMP3, or a used Rane MS-1b or Symetrix SX202 (I have a pair of the Symetrix and like them a lot).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search