The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal Mic Recommendations Dynamic Microphones
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Vocal Mic Recommendations

Hi,

I'm yet another noob to the recording trade; a budding musician trying my hand at something way out of my league no doubt.

Anyway, I'm looking to record some good demo tracks for my band; I'll be running Logic 9 on a Mac Mini (2.26 GHz processor, 2Gb RAM) which I recently acquired from a friend who has upgraded and I'll be using a Presonus 26x26 Firewire Interface, and the entire recording process will take part in my home.

I was just wondering; what good quality vocal microphones would you guys recommend for working with a female voice on a low budget? I've heard good things about the SE2200 but I can't really trust myself to make the right decision straight off the bat seeing as I have very little practical experience when it comes to working in a studio environment (all of which has been from the position of a musician rather than from behind a console).

Also, any further hints or tips regarding home the home recording process would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested in hearing the female voice I'll be recording (because it is not your average, generic female voice, it has a very percussive quality in my opinion), then here is a link to some of our older demos:

3 Ways of Thinking (BUTSERFEST ANNOUNCED!!!) on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 20th December 2010

sm7b def save for it if you have to its perfect for this application
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yep sm7b. Great on floor tom, and guitar cabs as well.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Just listened to the stuff on your link.

Your singer has a cracking voice. If you're new to this you are unlikely to do her justice. Get an experienced engineer with good mics and preamps and a vocal booth or a treated space to record her. It will be worth it.

Do the band yourself by all means and get her to do a guide vocal - but definitely go to a commercial studio to do her vocals again.

If you really are new to this get:

"Guerrilla Home Recording" by Karl Coryat. It's inexpensive and Amazon do it. Get the latest edition.

SM7b is a very popular mic on here. It needs a preamp - and a reasonably powerful one.

My tuppence worth - just use an SM57 - and pay to redo her vocals. You build a band around the singer. You've got her.

Very best of luck on your musical adventure.
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz211 View Post
Just listened to the stuff on your link.

Your singer has a cracking voice. If you're new to this you are unlikely to do her justice. Get an experienced engineer with good mics and preamps and a vocal booth or a treated space to record her. It will be worth it.

Do the band yourself by all means and get her to do a guide vocal - but definitely go to a commercial studio to do her vocals again.

If you really are new to this get:

"Guerrilla Home Recording" by Karl Coryat. It's inexpensive and Amazon do it. Get the latest edition.

SM7b is a very popular mic on here. It needs a preamp - and a reasonably powerful one.

My tuppence worth - just use an SM57 - and pay to redo her vocals. You build a band around the singer. You've got her.

Very best of luck on your musical adventure.
Thank you very much for the kind words

At the minute, I am only looking to do some home demos so that we may release one or two for the purpose of building a little bit of hype (as we haven't released any new recordings in over a year) and for guide tracks. We are currently booking into a studio in Reading to record an EP but that recording process won't take place until the Summer and we were just eager to release a track or two (neither of which will be on the later CD) as some form of 'hype builder', for want of a better term.

I do, however, totally understand your points and thank you so much for being so supportive, I will definitely take heed of your advice.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search