The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
at4050 vs ksm32 vs mxl genesis vs ksm42 Condenser Microphones
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

at4050 vs ksm32 vs mxl genesis vs ksm42

hi my budget is $1000 right now... i am looking for a warm mic that do dont harsh... my voice is a lil thin so i dont want a mic that is too bright..
i am only going to use this mic for vocals.
right now i am looking to buy one of this...
ksm42, ksm32 , mxl genesis , att4050
wich one do you think i will be a better choice?
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcche19 View Post
hi my budget is $1000 right now... i am looking for a warm mic that do dont harsh... my voice is a lil thin so i dont want a mic that is too bright..
i am only going to use this mic for vocals.
right now i am looking to buy one of this...
ksm42, ksm32 , mxl genesis , att4050
wich one do you think i will be a better choice?
I am familiar with the 4050 ..and with $1000.00 the 4050 should cost less than half of that.. I like mine (both the 4050 and the $1000.00) very much. I don't think it will add any fat to your voice but it will not thin it out any either... 'my take' on the Shure is the same.. going toward accurate.. the MXL ..donno

if you have 1000 to spend on a mic look at the AT4060 it is still pretty accurate but adds a little beef in the low end a little, and the high end, though it has a boost, is broad enough to be able to eq with out feeling like you are fighting the mic...
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac
I have the KSM44, the AT4050, the Genesis and the KSM32. For vocals in general, I favor the KSM44 because it has a good balance of deep lows and crisp high end. If you want something a little less bright with the same deep lows, I think the KSM32 would be best. Based on what you've described, the KSM32 seems like the best fit for you out of the 4 mics you've named.

I'm not real fond of the AT4050 for vocals. Seems rather dull and unexciting in that application. The AT4047 is, however, beautiful on vocals -- rich lows and no hype in the top end.

The Genesis sounds good, but it's relatively noisy, whereas the Shures you are looking at are dead quiet. The noise can get in the way if you use a lot of compression. On the other hand, if you can find a good deal on an MXL Revelation (you can get them for less than $1,000), I think the Revelation is a fantastic vocal mic -- very rich and fat sounding and pretty quiet for a tube mic. It will really beef-up a thin sounding voice, but it's not at all harsh or overly bright.

Hope that helps.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Look at the AT 4047MP (multy pattern) It's a lot of bang for the buck!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

if I were you I'd get a genesis+daking mp1
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4001 View Post
I have the KSM44, the AT4050, the Genesis and the KSM32. For vocals in general, I favor the KSM44 because it has a good balance of deep lows and crisp high end. If you want something a little less bright with the same deep lows, I think the KSM32 would be best. Based on what you've described, the KSM32 seems like the best fit for you out of the 4 mics you've named.

I'm not real fond of the AT4050 for vocals. Seems rather dull and unexciting in that application. The AT4047 is, however, beautiful on vocals -- rich lows and no hype in the top end.

The Genesis sounds good, but it's relatively noisy, whereas the Shures you are looking at are dead quiet. The noise can get in the way if you use a lot of compression. On the other hand, if you can find a good deal on an MXL Revelation (you can get them for less than $1,000), I think the Revelation is a fantastic vocal mic -- very rich and fat sounding and pretty quiet for a tube mic. It will really beef-up a thin sounding voice, but it's not at all harsh or overly bright.

Hope that helps.
thanks for your review.. i bought a ksm32 and the mbox 3 pro with pro tools 9
i saw this review of Ronan Chris Murphy and i think he knows what he is talking about... YouTube - Home Recording Studio Advice: Buying your first microphone (a pro's perspective)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search