The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Treating Vocal/Overdub Room Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Treating Vocal/Overdub Room

I have an almost square room with just under 8' ceilings for a vocal room.

My thoughts are try and make it as dead and neutral as I can (with out spending as much as I did in mixing room).

I treated the mixing room with RealTraps and love them. To do the vocal/overdub room I decided to try to save some money and do it with GIK.

I will say this much... as far as appearance and durability goes, I know why I paid more for my RealTraps.

That being said I now have 4 to 5 - 244s and 3 to 4 242s. Now first off, I will explain the possible quantities... one of each arrived damaged. GIK was great about replacing them and I am waiting to see if FedEx takes the damage ones back or just writes them off. If they do not I can reinforce them and use them.

One of the layouts that was discussed with GIK was the image attached. In this layout the vocalist would sing in to the corner with the 244 with back to the 3 242 panels.

I also planned on treating the walls and ceiling above singer with heavy moving blankets to stop some reflections.

GIK staff advised that the blankets were virtually useless and only real option would be to fold them many times and try and use them for absorption.

RT staff had a great Idea to make some of the blankets draw like curtains so you could adjust the rooms tone.

So still not sure on if/how blankets will work.

As far as the 3 242s on the stands... well this looks terrible...

Not sure if it performs well yet, but I can say the unfinished look of the GIK's back does not present a professional look when they are in the middle of the room.

What are some thoughts on this layout? Any other thought on these 3 panels in middle of room to the singers back?

If this technically a good layout, what do you think of blankets on walls for RFZ? And if is good technically, I will have to come up with something for the rear of the GIK traps to try and give them a finished look.

Any thoughts, opinions, facts?
Attached Thumbnails
Treating Vocal/Overdub Room-screen-shot-2010-12-20-dec-20-01.04.14.jpg  
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Update

I have to say that Glenn at GIK is very helpful and really focused on making sure the customer is happy with his product.

In my case, I really could not accept the look it presented to the vocalist as they entered the vocal room. They walked in to the room to see the "less than professional look" of the unfinished side of the trap. The front is nice and is not really an issue if it is hanging on the wall.

In my case, screen panels are a better fit for what I want to do in the room.

Thanks for the follow up Glenn.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Good deal sir (don't want to use your name since you did not on here). You gave me a idea on a option that we can offer in the future. Glad to hear we could make things right for you. I think you are going to be pretty happy going with the screen panel. It really is what is intended for your application you are doing.
Happy recording!thumbsup

Quote:
unfinished trap
I just want to make clear that it is finished but you can see the wood frame and staples from the back. I can see how this could be a problem for what you are using it for.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarocque View Post
What are some thoughts on this layout?
In an enclosed room like that I think you'll do best with the panels on the walls and straddling corners. They'll help there more than out in the room as you show in your drawing. free-standing panels are useful in a large room that's too live, or when isolation is needed to keep guitar amps out of the mics. But in a small room the panels absorb more when placed nearer to the walls and corners.

--Ethan

Gear Guru

Ethan,
I agree, but in this case he has panels on the walls and corners and is adding our product. This will help focus the sound around the mic within a room that is "treated". Also these can be used in the other rooms if need be as gobos and bass traps (they have many functions). I am sure if someone has a small control room that is treated using your Real Traps PVB would become very useful.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for your input Ethan...

BTW here is an updated layout plan:
Attached Thumbnails
Treating Vocal/Overdub Room-screen-shot-2010-12-21-dec-21-12.17.25.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search