The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacing drivers on headphones Studio Headphones
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Replacing drivers on headphones

Hi everyone. I've noticed that several people I know that have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's have one side that quits working. and again for whatever reason more often than not its the right side that stops working. So does anyone know where I can find replacement drivers for these or a tutorial on how to. I can solder and am confident in that so any help is apreciated.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandondmorris1 View Post
Hi everyone. I've noticed that several people I know that have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's have one side that quits working. and again for whatever reason more often than not its the right side that stops working. So does anyone know where I can find replacement drivers for these or a tutorial on how to. I can solder and am confident in that so any help is apreciated.
Many headphones use stainless steel wire or a braided cloth wire, both a pain. Often the drivers are fine, it is the connections that have been damaged.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Nice, always good to hear that the problem is more complicated than anticipated. hehe just kidding. Ok so if this is the case, where are the connections usually broken, AT the driver, or where? Sorry, just never really worked on headphones before. The worst part is that these are about the only pair of decent headphones I have and I travel around to people's houses recording so I cant take my monitors as Im usually in the same room with the instruments and mics, so trying to track and critically listen with bad cans is a pain in the tuckus to say the least.
Old 22nd December 2010
You can get replacement drivers direct from Sennheiser for the 280's last time I ordered one it was around $30 plus shipping per driver..they are fairly easy to swap but you will need a soldering iron
Old 22nd December 2010
the connections usually break at the bend points.

right by the 1/4th plug and right by the ear muff.

but this isn't always the case, just most times. use a multimeter in continuity mode to check tip to tip for broken strands in the wire.

EDIT: i have worked on a pair of those before i think. you got to get the muff part off the ear cup and get at it that way. there may be screws in there two.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

With the Direct Sound Extreme Isolation headphones, you can order a set of replacement drivers with the cord attached for around $35. It takes about ten minutes to replace them. I realize this won't do you any good with your Senn's, but when you're considering buying a new pair, the Extreme Isolation phones might be worth considering.

Some in the studio business say that headphones are a disposable item, in that they always break eventually. So, do you keep buying new ones for $100 a pop, or buy cheap ones and throw them away, or buy ones that you can repair yourself? I prefer the sound and comfort of the Senn HD280's, but the latest model of the Extreme Isolation phones comes pretty close. I give the talent the 280's and use the EI's myself.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Disposable headphones is an interesting idea. Im more of the buy a good pair, not a $300 pair, but just a good pair that sounds decent and replace parts as needed. I think for me this is more cost efficient. I do also have a pair of AKG KT77s and they are comfortable enough but sound like garbage and I have a pair of the extreme isolation cans as well. The EI cans have GREAT isolation BUT the band I work with mainly always calls them the "head suckers" becuase they really do get pretty uncofortable after a while. I let the drummer use those and if i HAVE to Ill wear them just to keep the talent comfortable and happy. This is why I really need to get my HD280s repaired because Id much rather use those and have my artists use the AKG cans. as long as its loud enough and they can hear what they want to hear, thats really all that matters.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search