The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FMR RNC vs RNLA vs PBC6A vs ART VLAII vs DBX 160X on vocals? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
PBC vs Pro VLA

Just wanted to report back, since I got a good deal this month on a PBC6A and now have two of the units I was asking about.

The Pro VLA 2 can be more transparent than the PBC6A. The PBC6A can add a lot more desirable tone shaping, some cool grit, and can still be fairly transparent if you set it up right. I haven't had very long to use them on different material, but I would guess that the ART unit would be preferable for more natural vocal presentations (if you don't need to smash a track's dynamics), and I love the subtle leveling at which it excels. It can add a degree of polish. The PBC is both a much more forward sound, a more immediate sound (perhaps due to it's harmonic distortion, or maybe because the ART clouds things up ever so slightly with its starved plate stages), and has potential to make things sound very smooth because it tends to emphasize fundamental and 2nd harmonic frequencies as far as I can tell.

PBC = more fun and maybe more useful, but it can't quite do what the ART unit does

They are both great on vocals and bass guitar, but for different reasons.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

My guess would be the more you use both you will more than likely gravitate to the pbc-6a, I did from my other decent low end compressors, I didnt think I would, but the tone shaping track stacking sounds so profesional when pre compressing with the pbc-6a...I dont like it on bass still...lol
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
I wouldn't be surprised. It can do a lot more and sound good doing it. I'm going to be mixing my friend's debut album soon, and will be developing my relationship to the pbc pretty well during that time, I'm sure.

I still think that for bass, vox, and acoustic guitar, the vla does things I like a lot that the pbc doesn't cover. It also might fit more spacious songs with mainly acoustic tracks a bit better. I'm really glad to have both!
Old 13th January 2015
Here for the gear

I have recorded some rap vocals with the dbx 160xt, the art pro vla 2 and the pbc-6a. I kept only the dbx 160xt and sold the other two. Tracking vocals trough dbx 160xt compressor in normal mode (not over-easy) with a ratio of 3 doing about 3-6db of gain reduction (and equivalent make-up gain) adds a nice punchy flavour. I would say The Art Pro Vla 2 also has a good price-performance and it worked for my setup. I didn't like the pbc-6a in thick mode like many others do here.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Is the PBC-6A to warm? Thick? Some of the discriptions I am going by?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search