The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting toft atb to my Daw ?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Connecting toft atb to my Daw ?

Hi guys

I am new to recording OTB and am a little unsure of the easiest way to connect to and from my daw. I want to record from the desks preamps so i should i go through the desk then come out of the 8 submaster outputs and into the computer.

I also want to bring my software tracks through the desk from my computer to give them a bit of sparkle. Not sure but do i bring the 8 outs on my interface back to 8 line ins on the desk or back through the subgroup inserts on the master section.

The final and most important question i had was about the master outs of the daw(logic). Instead of bringing my main outs straight to my monitors i would like to bring them through the console. Do i bring them through 2 spare tracks to hear them through the desk along with what im tracking or through the master ins.

Cheers in advance
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Am guessing no one out there uses the toft....
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

I just think you asked too many questions all at once. The first thing you need to do is download the manual, figure out the signal flow of how you specifically want to work with the console and then draw it all out.

Generally, you would have either the groups or the direct outs(or both) connected to the inputs of your A/D converters. Then you would have the outputs of your converters going to the monitor ins on the console( these are separate channels on the console with separate volume controls specifically for hearing back what you recorded.) Then your monitors would be connected to the consoles CR outputs.

But when all else fails, RTFM thumbsup
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Cheers for that.

Apologies for all the questions.Have read the manual a heap of times . Manual doesnt give me enough info but a lot of that might be down to my lack of knowledge.

Kinda mixed up between direct outputs and group outputs. Wanted to connect cables so i could record both one track at a time or maybe 6 tracks at at a time without having to repatch the cables every time.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Assuming you have at least an 8 channel toft, and an 8 channel (in and out) interface I would suggest this:

Direct outs channels 1-8 into interface line inputs 1-8 (unless you plan on submixing inputs to your interface; in which case you would send stereo bus 1-4/ mono bus 1-8 to your interface). I would suggest using an 8 channel snake that is terminated trs-trs.

Not sure what sort of connecters you have on the rear of the interface but get another 8 channel snake that terminates XXX-TRS into the tape return inputs on channels 1-8 on the Toft.

That should pretty much do it. In terms of internal routing, check the manual.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac
Cheers for the reply guys...

Still unsure of which route i am gonna take but have been doing a lot of research.

I think tracking with the ATB can be accomplished going out of the subgroup section into the interface inputs or use the direct out from the channel strip.

For OTB summing you can use the submaster returns (which also have inserts), or do additional processing by routing the submaster monitor returns through channels 1-8 and then sending them to the master out, which also has inserts.

Kinda getting my head this very slowly. Any more info or hints would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 23rd December 2010

***this is very simple basic mixing 101 stuff***

record off the direct outs anything else will add more noise then is needed
direct out of toft to line in of interface
the shortest path is always the best signal
for mixing I don't see the point unless you have great outboard.
but I'd take all the individual outputs of the daw and bring them into the line inputs of the interface
theres a switch on the toft that toggles between recording and mixing so you don't have to unplug everything its all in the manual
press the line button on channel 1 now it brings the daw channel 1 output signal through the tofts channel 1 channel strip
the studio monitors go to the monitor section of the board
the output of the board goes hopefully through a 2 buss compressor and back into 2 fresh channels of the daw this is burning your mix back to the daw all automation is controlled by the daw but panning will have to be fixed to the toft and printed live as there is no automation on the toft or brought in as a stereo channel or to a bussed output

happy mixing
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Cheers doulos24.
Thanks for the detailed info...Will let you know how i get on...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search