The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading from Presonus Firebox to Focusrite Saffire pro 40, how much better is it? Audio Interfaces
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Upgrading from Presonus Firebox to Focusrite Saffire pro 40, how much better is it?

I'm mostly interested in the converters in the saffire pro. the extra i/o is just a plus.

Has anybody compared the two? I'm hoping for better conversion. Additionally I want better conversion because I want to use external effects on mixdown...so i'd like the best conversion for the money.

Is it worth upgrading for the conversion alone to the saffire?

if not, f' it im just gonna splurge on another gap pre-73 and keep the firebox
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I own the saffire pro 40. Love it. Never had anything similar to compare it to except a digi 002. I'll take the focusrite over the 002 any day.

I just recorded a live jazz gig with the saffire. Horrible room, worse acoustics, speaker placement caused feedback all through the night and the drums leaked into every mic. And the results aren't bad. I did a super quick demo mix and I gotta say that it turned out better than I thought it would.

Last edited by thatgtrguy; 19th December 2010 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

The best thing I ever did was upgrade my firebox. Don't get me wrong, it was a great starter box that lets you get your feet wet, but when I got a duet, it really opened my ears up. I'd say go for the saffire pro. I have not personally heard it, but it gets great reviews.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
Depends on if you have good mics, If not you will prob hear more difference by getting better mics first.

Apogee Duet...............yea you will hear a difference
firebox vs saffire maybe.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
Depends on if you have good mics, If not you will prob hear more difference by getting better mics first.

Apogee Duet...............yea you will hear a difference
firebox vs saffire maybe.
SM57's

SM7b

and Studio Projects C1

into a GA Pre-73
or a studio project vtb1
or maudio DMP-3 unmodded

so...you tell me...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think I'm gonna go with an echo audiofire 8, from what I understand it has even better converters than the saffire

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search