The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Firewire -> USB adapter Audio Interfaces
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Firewire -> USB adapter

I'm planning to connect an Alesis desk (firewire output) to a mac that only has USB (2.0) port and am hoping that a very low end (fiver...) firewire->usb adapter will do the job.

I realise that they can both operate at around the same Mbps and google-searching for a while I couldn't find any suggestion that it would, but I just want to make sure before I spend the money, so if anyone has any experience with this or knows about any potential problems, please let me know.

cheers...
Old 18th December 2010
As far as I know you can't adapt between the two as they're completely different formats.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
As far as I know you can't adapt between the two as they're completely different formats.
Yep he's right, not possible.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

I mean the kind of adapters talked about here:

What is a Firewire to USB Adapter?

The guy mentions hubs mostly, but amazon seem to be selling simple adapters (with, say, female firewire to male USB) for a fiver or so.

EDIT: Oh...what is it these adapters do, then? I'm confused.
Old 18th December 2010
It's all just conductive metal. I could put an XLR socket on the end of a USB cable, doesn't mean it'll work.

I'd recommend looking at USB interfaces like the Alesis IO2, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, etc.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
It's all just conductive metal. I could put an XLR socket on the end of a USB cable, doesn't mean it'll work.
I'm still a bit confused - if the firewire-->usb adapters don't allow you to plug a firewire device into a usb port (or vice versa), what do they do? Surely they can't do nothing?

Quote:
I'd recommend looking at USB interfaces like the Alesis IO2, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, etc.
The firewire device + adapter was the option I was looking at atm for budget reasons - I checked out the USB2.0 version of the alesis desk, but don't have the extra £200. Looks like I'll have to wait until I do, though.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

As a loyal Focusrite user, I vouch for the Saffire 6 USB.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Does stuff like this:

Visionaer FIREWIRE 6 PIN MALE IEEE 1394 to USB 2.0: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

or

USB to 4-Pin 1394 FireWire Adapter Cable (1.8M) [E45485] : BestOfferBuy.com, Buy DVD, Shop for PC accessories, Discount MP3 Players, Bargain Deal for Surveillance Equipment, Cheap R4 for NDS, X-sim Unlock

or whichever other firewise-->usb adapter you might see advertised just not work?

EDIT: From the reviews on the ones that have reviews, it appears that could be the case...
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

From what I understand, firewire transmits both ways simil, and USB only transmits one way (send or receive). Might be wrong, my brain is a bit rusty right now.

Best,

Mike
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul153 View Post
Does stuff like this, or whichever other firewise-->usb adapter you might see advertised just not work?
I guess I could build a camera for example which had a FW400 connector on it but it was actually a USB device. That way when you break your supplied cable you have to buy a new one off me for a stupid price instead of just getting a standard one from anywhere (I have about 8 USB mini, 2 USB micro and a dozen USB A>B cables here). I think these adapters are just for that. They won't transfer the FireWire protocol though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2112 View Post
From what I understand, firewire transmits both ways simil, and USB only transmits one way (send or receive). Might be wrong, my brain is a bit rusty right now.
Not quite, I'm not a computers expert but I know that Firewire can be CONTROLLED from either side (not exactly a user-done operation) whereas USB can only be controlled by the computer.

USB flash drives can save AND load data, USB audio interfaces have both input AND output.

I see what you meant though
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
all I know is if you're going 4 pin to 6 pin firewire or trying to adapt something that will be running an interface..........................................
you are asking for nothing but headaches, and frustration tutt
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Cheers everyone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search