The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic for ADL600 pre in $1500 ish range? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Mic for ADL600 pre in $1500 ish range?

Strictly male vocal (mine). GAS tendencies have me looking at Peluso 2247 LE or maybe the whole enchilada with nice used U87. The rest of the chain is Distressor & Fireface 800. My other mics are 57, 58 and 57b dont laugh :p Thanks!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

cart before the horse? i think the ADL600 will work well with whatever you feed into it.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dafo View Post
cart before the horse? i think the ADL600 will work well with whatever you feed into it.
Agreed.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devnor View Post
Strictly male vocal (mine). My other mics are 57, 58 and 57b dont laugh :p Thanks!
I won't. I recently got one of my favorite male rock vocals sounds with this chain- hand-held 57, Daking pre/eq, ADR comp, LA-610 for the 2nd comp. sounded awesome. Not for everything but worked for the tune. Don't be embarrased to use a "cheap" microphone. whatever gets the job done.
Old 18th December 2010
the peluso's are a good choice, but it may not be the 2247 that best suits your voice, it could be the P12 or any other of his mics, also the Pearlmans are well regarded. FWIW I have an old U87 in excellent shape and a 2247, for most vocals we use the 2247, it's bigger sounding than the U87. I use the 2247 with the ADL 600 and a CL1b for tracking vocals all the time, it's a great combo.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

I've found the following to work for me: use Solid State mics with Tube preamps and use tube mics with Solid State preamps.

Since the ADL 600 is tube, my suggestion is to get a Blue Kiwi. You can buy one new for very close to $1500 if you know where to go.
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vinsick View Post
I've found the following to work for me: use Solid State mics with Tube preamps and use tube mics with Solid State preamps.
Why? a good sounding mic is a good sounding mic. A good sounding mic pre is a good sounding mic pre
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Why? a good sounding mic is a good sounding mic. A good sounding mic pre is a good sounding mic pre
Exactly. Good gear is good gear. Don't over-think this stuff.

Good mic in a good pre will give you good results, unless you don't know what to do with them.

Tube, solid state....it's what you do with them that counts. No rules.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I just tried a bunch of dynamics (MD421, RE20, SM7B, SM57/58) and condensers (u87ai, Oktava MK319/219/012, modded Rode NT1a/NT2a) with a 2nd hand ADL600 I acquired recently. The best sounding mic of them all through the pre was the SM7b - sounded absolutely HUGE!

Steve
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I've owned a lot of mics and a lot of pres. This is just something that works for me. I don't know why tube mics don't sound as good to my ears through tube pres and why I like solid state mics with tube pres. Just what wortks for me.
Old 20th December 2010
respectfully I own a lot of mics and a lot of pres, and I don't know why a tube mic and pre don't sound good to you either, and btw which type of tube mic? U47, C12, Sony 800, They all have different colors, and the same with pre's,
There is no one tube pre sound either, off the top of my head the Summit, sounds different than the Tube Tech, than the ADL 600 than Groove Tubes.
It's a generalization that doesn't hold up
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 for Lou. Get the mic that sounds good on the stuff you do. The ADL 600 is a very nice piece. The 2247 is a great mic also. Most around here like the le version. Lou's chain with those 2 pieces and the Cl1b...pretty doggone good. thumbsupthumbsup

p.s. Wow, this seems like and expensive selection of "tools" for low end!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks guys for your input. Went with 2247LE. I don't see the ADL600 discussed much...good to hear others love it as much as I do.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

I haven't tried the LE, I have the SE and it's just fine. I wouldn't necessarily discount the SE just because it's a few dollars cheaper and a couple people on the internet said something about it. However it would be fun to do a side by side comparison

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search