The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A new tlm 102 or a used tlm 103 ?? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

A new tlm 102 or a used tlm 103 ??

Greetings!!
Im Looking to upgrade mic from an akg c3000b !!! (first and only mic, didn't know any better lol )
I can get a used tlm 103 for about the same as I new tlm 102
I record mainly rap vocals and some r&b
My chain is gap pre 73 (stock) thru an art vla 2 pro (mallard nos) digi 003 interface running pt8
Any advice and or experiences
Would be very helpful and greatly appreciated !!
Thanks
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Both are great microphone, if you can, you should try both and decide after,
it may not be the answer that you want, but that's what you should do.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not a fan of either one, in that yeah they sound okay but aren't a great value. I think that you can do as well for sound with one of the low priced imports. (Understand that I own higher dollar mics, I'm a fan of Neumann, and only currently own one budget condenser, which I have not used in ten years. I just don't think that these particular Neumanns are 'all that'.)
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

The 102 is "more different" from your AKG than the 103 is, if that matters to you.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I am anxious to try the 102 myself. The clips I've heard have been amazing. It's a present, open but still smooth mic with a good high end that doesn't get harsh. IMHO that is. The 103 I've tried myself and I don't like it. I feel it's way harsher than the 102. Just a completely different mic. Might fit a particular voice better but for me - nope, not my thing. The 102 though... gotta try it. I think it could be the one for me as far as condensors.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm not a fan of either one, in that yeah they sound okay but aren't a great value. I think that you can do as well for sound with one of the low priced imports. (Understand that I own higher dollar mics, I'm a fan of Neumann, and only currently own one budget condenser, which I have not used in ten years. I just don't think that these particular Neumanns are 'all that'.)
The 102 is 600 dollars, I suspect no matter how it sounds it's a killer value. A Neumann, new, for 600. C'mon, that's the definition of value.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you try both ( TLM 102-103 ).
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think the magic of the 102 is the dip at 5k before the rise starts. This has the affect of taking the edginess away, while still adding air on top. I've been having good luck with using it on harsh female singers.

I think a better choice for rap would be that Stellar tube mic that's being sold on ebay. Kidvybes started a thread about it in the "new products" forum. It's only $350. It's also much bigger than the tlm 102, which might inspire more confidence in the artist.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

you just dont think??????
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
you just dont think??????
we are voicing opinions about the mics in question here. Whats yours?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don´t guess first. Not to be rude.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin weight View Post
Greetings!!
Im Looking to upgrade mic from an akg c3000b !!! (first and only mic, didn't know any better lol )
I can get a used tlm 103 for about the same as I new tlm 102
I record mainly rap vocals and some r&b
My chain is gap pre 73 (stock) thru an art vla 2 pro (mallard nos) digi 003 interface running pt8
Any advice and or experiences
Would be very helpful and greatly appreciated !!
Thanks
Hi from Europe,
on rap / rnb vocals - between those two - in my experience

really depends, 103 - more responsive, sensitive, crispier, brighter, /some say harsh, yes with Motu 828 pres, very much : )) / and with a bigger detail, 103 appreciates performance control and nice room, less forgiving...doesn´t neccessarily suit every task, but when it does it is a really good friend...BUT can kick one´s ass pretty fast.

102 - very smooth, "big", bit more versatile, safe, less sensitive, but sooo pleasing in my opinion, definitely not that bright /which can be a good thing too/, but still shiny, with very nice meaty low end..good stuff which I love a lot. + not much dessing needed as with 103 in my exp.

Really depends on lots of variables, if you can borrow them Id suggest make it happen heh , having 102 which I love, just saving on 103 which I used to work with regularly, they are different sounding...

103 can surprise you in those "variables", but can beat 102 when it gets the right food, however 102 will definitely serve you as multipurpose vocal mic, giving you high quality standard,

you can play with proximity really well, 103 isnt as forgiving, more poppy, more sensitive on off axis stuff etc..BUT /who knows/...but with a great performer can do miracle. Dont believe 103haters, this mic is in lockers of lot "urban" music studios, and the guys know why.

My tip:

Rap mostly - 102
Rnb mostly - 103
Both - 102 /versatility/

Have good choice.
P.s. 102 made me sell C214, KSM 44, it is so good if you go for "smooth and vibey and crisp at onceheh". /ON VOCALS, KSM rocks anyway/
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Tlm 102 into GAP73, not sure whether its useful, but again...

TLM 102 into Gap 73
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input. Just curious, by "r&b", do you mean hiphop in disguise (Mario etc) or do you mean real rhythm and blues from the 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Hi from Europe,
on rap / rnb vocals - between those two - in my experience

really depends, 103 - more responsive, sensitive, crispier, brighter, /some say harsh, yes with Motu 828 pres, very much : )) / and with a bigger detail, 103 appreciates performance control and nice room, less forgiving...doesn´t neccessarily suit every task, but when it does it is a really good friend...BUT can kick one´s ass pretty fast.

102 - very smooth, "big", bit more versatile, safe, less sensitive, but sooo pleasing in my opinion, definitely not that bright /which can be a good thing too/, but still shiny, with very nice meaty low end..good stuff which I love a lot. + not much dessing needed as with 103 in my exp.

Really depends on lots of variables, if you can borrow them Id suggest make it happen heh , having 102 which I love, just saving on 103 which I used to work with regularly, they are different sounding...

103 can surprise you in those "variables", but can beat 102 when it gets the right food, however 102 will definitely serve you as multipurpose vocal mic, giving you high quality standard,

you can play with proximity really well, 103 isnt as forgiving, more poppy, more sensitive on off axis stuff etc..BUT /who knows/...but with a great performer can do miracle. Dont believe 103haters, this mic is in lockers of lot "urban" music studios, and the guys know why.

My tip:

Rap mostly - 102
Rnb mostly - 103
Both - 102 /versatility/

Have good choice.
P.s. 102 made me sell C214, KSM 44, it is so good if you go for "smooth and vibey and crisp at onceheh". /ON VOCALS, KSM rocks anyway/
Old 20th December 2010

sm7b will get more use in the rap world and its almost 1/2 of the neumann
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again, Have you try the mic ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search