The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digital vs. Analog. chosing the right budget compressor
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Digital vs. Analog. chosing the right budget compressor

so i am finally building my home studio and wanted to get a few opinions. i am running pro tools 9 with the mbox 3rd generation and a custom built beast ass computer. i am mainly recording, mixing and mastering vocals for local artists and myself.

my questions are:

i have run all types of plugins through protools... compressors limiters eq's everything and cant seem to get a GREAT sound. i was looking into budget compressors/ limiters/ eq's and there are alot to choose from. before i go any further my next question will help with the decision of what to choose.

i will either be purchasing the blue bluebird mic or the audio teqnica at4040. my budget for the mic is 300. i will be only producing rap and r&b.

what would be your mic choice? throw some other ones in there if u have a better preference.

i would love to run a nice channel strip or even just a decent vocal compressor that will give me a better sound then what a plugin will.

i have asked similar questions before and everyone has said listen to them all and choose to your voice and how u like to sound but that is not an option i will have many artists and that is not what i am asking i am asking for everyones opinions. my budget for a compressor or channel strip is 3 to 400. thank u for your time.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

my opinion is the fmr rnc is a great first comp

the fact that it's a solid useful piece of gear means you'll find a use for it for many years to come

i think supernice mode sounds great on vocals
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersully View Post
my opinion is the fmr rnc is a great first comp

the fact that it's a solid useful piece of gear means you'll find a use for it for many years to come

i think supernice mode sounds great on vocals

so running this compressor i will need a preamp before running into this correct? i know protools has the phantom but the order process has now changed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search