The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which mic to buy to make a stereo pair? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Which mic to buy to make a stereo pair?

I have one of each

Rode NT1-A
AT-3035
MXL R-144

Thinking about buying an additional of one of these to make a stereo pair. Which one would you double up on?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not to be off topic, but would some argue that a level matched pair of different microphones can be effectively used as a stereo pair?
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post
Not to be off topic, but would some argue that a level matched pair of different microphones can be effectively used as a stereo pair?
Two different mics can certainly be effectively used together, but I wouldn't say they are "true stereo" in that it is not just the positions that creates the stereo field, but the different tone and frequency response of the mics changing the stereo image. It's like using an EQ or compressor on a mix without using linked stereo. If you change the left differently than the right, then you can be introducing phase problems and hurt your stereo image. Can be cool, but can get messy.

To the original poster, which of the three is YOUR favorite? What sources do you record most often? If you're mostly recording, say, piano, then which of the three is your favorite on a piano? Get another one of those....or get a pair of the 3 Zigma mics with swappable capsules, which I'm using in pairs on many instruments lately.
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgtrguy View Post
I have one of each

Rode NT1-A
AT-3035
MXL R-144

Thinking about buying an additional of one of these to make a stereo pair. Which one would you double up on?
Wooo dude, you should get a matched pair if you ask me... Just my opinion...

Like the previous post said, what are you recording?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get a matched pair of KEL HM3C's. You'll have an awesome stereo pair.
Old 18th December 2010

any mic that says the frequency graph is within say 2 db of actual graph can be made into a useable stereo pair imho
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The MXL R-144 gets the most use by far on Guitar Amps.

The NT1A and 3035 are used 50/50 for vocals and acoustic guitars. Whichever one strikes my fancy for a given source.
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

I agree with Mista, start fresh and get yourself a factory matched pair
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Out of those 3, I'd go with the 3035. Rode mics really do sound different even if you have 2 of the same kind. Plus the NT1-A is overly harsh in the treble had has nasty resonances from its body and basket.

The AT3035 is a sweet mic for rock vocals but hard to get nowadays.

If I were you, I'd sell the NT1-A and get a matched pair of small condensers like the Oktava MK012. These are excellent on acoustic guitar, drum overheads and surreal for recording a jam session by just putting them up anywhere.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Little blondies made by one of our own. Search them...amazing. I just got mine in on Saturday and love'em so far. He has hand-carved wooden ones too...(which is what I got). Very nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search