The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CAD e60=M179? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

CAD e60=M179?

I saw a couple of Tiny's comments on the e60 comparing it to a cardiod only M179. I checked out the frequency response graphs on their site and the polar pattern appears to be the same. Frequency response is extremely similar however the e60 has a 2 or 3 db dip at 4.5K where the M179 is pretty flat. How major are these differences sonically? Would the e60's still kill on Toms like the m179?

CAD Audio - The Brand Used by Professionals!

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
I saw a couple of Tiny's comments on the e60 comparing it to a cardiod only M179. I checked out the frequency response graphs on their site and the polar pattern appears to be the same. Frequency response is extremely similar however the e60 has a 2 or 3 db dip at 4.5K where the M179 is pretty flat. How major are these differences sonically? Would the e60's still kill on Toms like the m179?

I can't say for sure as I only own the M179's, but it was my understanding that it was the same mic without the MP, and not just from tINY. If so, I would say yes, but the Hypercard is essential to me because of cymbal proximity so don't forget that as well.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

I'm pretty sure it's a totally different microphone, small diaphragm, end address, but in that bulky rubberized body. The M177 was the cardioid-only counterpart of the 179.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosconpollo View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a totally different microphone, small diaphragm, end address, but in that bulky rubberized body. The M177 was the cardioid-only counterpart of the 179.
Geez, my brain was out to lunch on that one. Disregard what I said as I was sure that was the one he was speaking of. I thought this discussion was what the OP was referring to. (Which is amazing to me that I even remembered it and glossed right over the big e60 in the post)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6072966-post27.html

My mistake...Yes, erosconpollo is correct....
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

tINY did make a comparison of the e60 and M179, so your memory is right, but I think he just meant they were similarly versatile.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosconpollo View Post
tINY did make a comparison of the e60 and M179, so your memory is right, but I think he just meant they were similarly versatile.
Gotcha, as well with the M177 hence my wires getting crossed on what the OP was asking for. Thanks for correcting me.

Merry Christmas to Ye.

Mitchell
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search