The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPA II high gain potential to damage tubes Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

MPA II high gain potential to damage tubes

Hello ladies,

I just received a new Art MPA II preamp in the mail. Thank you postman!

The first thing I did once I wired it up was max out the input gain! Wanted to see if this thing can do culture vulture... It's not culture vulture exactly, but it can destroy a sound.

Then fear crept in... can I damage my tubes or the circuit by just absolutely maxing it out?

Totally new to tube gear, your help is appreciated.stike
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
Hello ladies,

I just received a new Art MPA II preamp in the mail. Thank you postman!

The first thing I did once I wired it up was max out the input gain! Wanted to see if this thing can do culture vulture... It's not culture vulture exactly, but it can destroy a sound.

Then fear crept in... can I damage my tubes or the circuit by just absolutely maxing it out?

Totally new to tube gear, your help is appreciated.stike
Hmmm. I usually burn stuff in a bit, just to satisfy myself, but NORMALLY you'd think the manufacturer would do that prior to shipping them out. Tubes are funny and sometimes fragile things. The tubes I'm used to messing with are in guitar amps only and are maddening sometimes. But when they're hitting right, there's nothing better.

Keep messing with it, if it keeps sounding ok, then you should be good. I don't think you'd damage the circuit itself by maxing it out unless maybe it's just some nuclear sort of input that the unit isn't designed for, or the circuit itself has design flaws and/or improper/inferior components. Stock up on a few extra tubes of different varieties, if you can get them cheap enough, and see which ones sound the best too.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
The valves themselves will be happy whatever you put into them as the 'little' ones can tolerate pretty serious overdriving on the basis that as a preamp / comp they are usually run at a pretty low percentage of the power dissipation that might cause them to be damaged.
Running a power amp into overload with continuous tone is a different matter and even so for a few minutes or more don't usually come to harm. A transistor (power) amp unless 'protected' can fail in a matter of microseconds if driven out of it's 'comfort zone'.
Play away, you should have no problems.
Matt S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search