The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
repair a cheaper mic? or... Condenser Microphones
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

repair a cheaper mic? or...

i have a GT55 LDC. there seems to be a ton of hum coming from it, sometimes the sound drops quite a bit. the hum got worse as i put my hand near the capsule. it cut maybe in half when i actually touched the body of the mic. i looked inside, and can't see anything specifically broken or un soldered. it is only 200 $ to buy a new one, would a repair be much cheaper? anyone know somewhere in houston area? maybe someone online who isn't crazy pricey...?

thanks y'all!!!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I would scrap it and buy a at2020 for $99. Just a thought...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

seems wasteful to just "throw it out" and buy another cheap chinese mic. i have a few dozen other awesome mics, and thought someone here might know someone who does mic repairs where the minimum cost is less than the new value...
if anything, i'll send it off to a modder, or something....
i don't have a whole lot to invest in it, and most of the modders here are probably too expensive, at the moment.
even if someone can diagnose it, i might be able to perform the fix...
thanks y'all!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon View Post
i have a GT55 LDC. there seems to be a ton of hum coming from it, sometimes the sound drops quite a bit. the hum got worse as i put my hand near the capsule. it cut maybe in half when i actually touched the body of the mic. i looked inside, and can't see anything specifically broken or un soldered. it is only 200 $ to buy a new one, would a repair be much cheaper? anyone know somewhere in houston area? maybe someone online who isn't crazy pricey...?

thanks y'all!!!
it could be a ground issue. not completely sure on this i'm no electrician
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
if anything, i'll send it off to a modder, or something....
i don't have a whole lot to invest in it, and most of the modders here are probably too expensive, at the moment.
...send it to JJ Audio...not only will Jim repair it, he'll mod it to sound like a much more expensive microphone...and his prices are very fair...I'm serious, check out this thread for an example:

Studio Projects C1 mod

...he did a similar mod to my $100 MXL V67...it sounds amazing...don't throw it out, and don't pay a repair tech money just to fix it...mod that bad boy!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ground is probably one of the problems and would fix most of your issues. It's probably an easy fix if you own an soldering iron or one of you buddys does.
Ask in geek sluts. I know the electronics store near me charges a 79 dollar bench fee but that goes to the price of being fixed. It would probably be around there. Might cost .03 cents to do it your self and might take about 30 miniutes to do but most of that time would be figuring out how to open up the mic.

Or I'll paypal you 20 bucks and you could ship it to me. (might get more for it in the classified section just be honest about it)
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

He post while I was but modding it instead of taking it to a tech would be a much beter option.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

i agree that it sounds like a ground issue. i pulled the plug out of the bottom, all the wires seem intact... don't know where to go next...
i am certainly thinking about mods, however i don't have a huge surplus of cash right now, so a repair might be less expensive.
several folks seem to think it may be a cheap and easy repair, so 300 for a mod vs 30 for a repair.....
will whoever mods it do the repairs for free, or will i just have to pay for both either way? a working un modded mic that i can afford seems better than a nice modded one that i can't...
i have heard a lot of good things about the jj audio mods, though, and am interested, just a little short on cash...
even if i get this repaired, i could sell it, and finance the mod of any of the other mics, that already work, or some other scheme, like that...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
several folks seem to think it may be a cheap and easy repair, so 300 for a mod vs 30 for a repair.....
will whoever mods it do the repairs for free, or will i just have to pay for both either way? a working un modded mic that i can afford seems better than a nice modded one that i can't...
i have heard a lot of good things about the jj audio mods, though, and am interested, just a little short on cash...
even if i get this repaired, i could sell it, and finance the mod of any of the other mics, that already work, or some other scheme, like that...
...contact Jim thru the website: Custom Microphones and Mods

...the mod I'm recommending is only $150, and I'm sure there would be no extra charge for the ground issue...and your $200 mic will end up your best mic, no joke...
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Just thinking out loud...

Have you tried switching out the mic cable?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Repairing the mic is the way to go in situations like this.

Whether or not you mod it we can definitely get it in working order

Could be a grounding issue, bad cap/resistor, gotta get 'er on the bench!

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

definitely switched to a nearly new mogami cable, different pre, different interface, etc. it's been a persistent problem for about a year, with varying degrees of intensity...
i have a bunch of ok mics, so it's not the most important investment at the moment (building more bass traps). i kinda like the sound of the 55 for certain male voices i work with regularly, as well as a kind-of all-arounder mic...
i wonder if any of the other mics i have would be a better choice if i were going to have something modded...
i am ok to make a basic solder joint, i took a few EE classes back in college, so i am also looking for advice on fixing it, as that is both educational for me and somewhat less expensive than paying someone else. i realize that may be ridiculous to attempt via internet, so that's why i was also looking for someone in the houston area.
kind of a shot in the dark, but i appreciate everyone's enthusiasm to help my mic!
thanks y'all!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search