The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show Of Hands: Residential Recording Workshops in the UK DAW Software
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Show Of Hands: Residential Recording Workshops in the UK

Residential Recording Workshops in the UK

Mods: This is not commercial advertising, I am just trying to get a look at who wants what at the moment

Hi all, I know that this board is a great place to find new engineers who are coming into the industry and trying to get their hands dirty as soon as possible to help them advance. I was in that position a number of years ago and was lucky enough to attend a full-time college course for 2 years where I was able to learn the theory, work with professionals, and spend a good amount of time in the studio trying out things that I have learnt. However, it cost me a lot of money attending college, it also cost me 2 years learning a trade which, for most, will never lead to a full-time career (that can solely support you), and I know that many people on here simply cannot afford to spend both the time and the money developing themselves in this business.

I work at a nice residential recording studio in the English countryside, we have a good setup including Amek console, Pro Tools HD, Quested & Genelec monitoring, Focusrite/Avalon/Golden Age pre-amps, a good selection of outboard, microphones including Neumann, Shure, Sennheiser, Sontronics, AKG, Heil, Audio Technica, Sound Field and more; and a wide range of instruments and acoustic spaces. We are constantly looking for ways to broaden the services we can offer to both professionals and up-and-coming talent, and are looking into the possibility of hosting a number of Audio Production Workshops at the studio. I have put some details of what I have in mind below, I would love to get a 'virtual show of hands' from people to see what interest there is!

The workshops would address a small number of students, probably 6-8 (split into 2 groups), and could be tailored to what they hoped to achieve. The courses would last 2, 3 or 4 days, and include full-board accommodation at the studio (individual room and 3 meals each day), and include time in both lectures, practical workshops, studio time with a session band, and spare time, which would incorporate a group meal at a local pub. There would be lectures and workshops from both the course tutors (myself and the studio owner), and also visiting lectures and workshops from a number of major-name producers, who have worked on many Number 1 rock and pop albums over the last 25 years. There may also be an opportunity to get some hands-on time with some of their more notable Pro Tools sessions! Studio time would allow the students to practice the skills learnt during the course with an experienced session band and develop themselves through practice under the guidance and supervision of an experienced engineer, and a mastered CD of all the students work would be provided at the end of the course. There would also be a healthy amount of social time, allowing course students to enjoy the local surroundings, whilst networking with the other attendees, which could lead to future collaborations or partnerships. Upon finishing the course, all students would be provided with a certificate of attendance with course content listed, as well as the mastered CD of their studio work, and a group photo.

The studio owner has a wealth of experience in 14 years at the studio and over 1000 bands passing through the doors in that time, as well as touring experience with a number of highly successful artists. I myself have produced a number of up-and-coming rock and alternative bands who have since received a lot of industry interest, whilst touring with some of these bands and working in some of the UK's top festivals; and also have teaching experience as a staff member of one of the UK's top public schools.

The courses would be ideal for new engineers looking for a kick start to their audio production hobby or career, as all top engineers will agree that regardless of what equipment you own, it is the skill of the engineer that pushes a good-sounding record the most. They would also suit more experienced engineers looking to further their skills under the supervision of experienced professionals, and allow them to develop their techniques by working with other engineers and producers in this environment, and sharing tips, techniques and ideas. Once interest is confirmed, tailor-made courses can be assembled to best suit the attendees and create the best packages for the money. The current intention in terms of pricing, based on 6 students, would be:
2-Day Course: £300
3-Day Course: £400
4-Day Course: £500
all inclusive of accommodation (including the night before the course starts) in individual rooms with communal living areas, and 3 meals per day either at the studio or delivered to the accommodation. I know it might seem a fair bit of money in one go, but good techniques in recording will serve you far better than a few hundred quid of microphones and pre-amps! Oh, and £500 for 4-days away from the wife, in a studio, and the food still makes itself, the dishes still do themselves, but you don't get nagged? Gotta be a bargain!

So, as a 'virtual show of hands', if people could update the numbers in brackets below to express their interest (IE, if it says 1, make it 2 to show you're interested or leave it as 1 if not), I can have a look at what people want and if we can get some people together, it would be great. Anybody who helps me get this research together may be applicable for a discount to show my appreciation.

So...

Recording / Tracking Workshop (0)
Editing & Mixing Workshop (0)
Pro Tools Workshop (0)
Logic Pro Workshop (0)
Anything Else (please list in your post!) (0)

Really hope to get this off the ground and hopefully give some of you low-enders a real kick start to the crazy world of audio production!

By the way, if some seriously crazy American or European folk fancy it, there is an airport not ALL that far from us, and it would be very cool to have you join us!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search