The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home studio Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thumbs up Home studio

I got my myself a "Oxygen 49 + Mbox mini black + pro tools 8 le"

I will choose for the Rode Nt1a, best for vocals (most of peoples said)

1st: I just wanted to ask, do i need a PRE AMP with the MBOX to make sound better ? I dont use any instruments (guitar, drums, ..) i make beats myself & sing on them. Do i still need a PRE AMP ?? issit for instruments or vocals ?

2nd : My "Oxygen 49" is not working on PRO TOOLS, i tried it on SONAR program & there it works... Help please

3rd : And btw, do i still need anything else now to get a better vocal quality or sound quality ?? or is this enough as "SEMI PRO" ?

thanks allot !!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

1- No, you don't need a pre

2- check your MIDI setup. it should work fine

3- from what you say you should be fine - maybe get a pop filter.

Warning - being a member of this site will make you buy a ton more stuff. Buckle up.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

that's a decent starter setup. the only thing that will give you better vocal quality is a better mic and/or a preamp. there's no tricks or anything.

when it's time to upgrade, i'd get a 2nd mic before i got a preamp, the new mboxes (i'm assuming you have a new black 3), are pretty decent from what i've been hearing, miles better than the blue ones.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

It's a good mic. The Shins first album "Oh Inverted World" was recorded with a Rode nt1. I think all the vocals. Though, he had a UA pre.
I'd say, you're off to a great start with what you have. If you upgrade, GET A NICE PRE! Before you get a new mic. Most might tell you otherwise, but a nice pre can change your sound considerably.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
It's a good mic. The Shins first album "Oh Inverted World" was recorded with a Rode nt1. I think all the vocals. Though, he had a UA pre.
I'd say, you're off to a great start with what you have. If you upgrade, GET A NICE PRE! Before you get a new mic. Most might tell you otherwise, but a nice pre can change your sound considerably.
Right, and Bono records on a 58, and MJ recorded on an sm7. However, those are the exceptions to the rule - and that's why it's so noteworthy. However, a nice pre is definitely important.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
. . . Warning - being a member of this site will make you buy a ton more stuff. Buckle up.

Haha . . . too true. Have fun with your new gear!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Right, and Bono records on a 58, and MJ recorded on an sm7. However, those are the exceptions to the rule - and that's why it's so noteworthy. However, a nice pre is definitely important.
The shins pulled that off with a great pre amp, and amazing song material. You could own the nicest gear money can buy, but song writing quality is way more important. Bono and MJ are both examples are insanely talented singers.. You could put a fake chinese 57 in front of them and it'd sound find.
Number one most important thing in recording anything: Source.
Sing well, that's high quality.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search