The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time Delay Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Time Delay

How important is time delay in a small room say 15x22x9??? Or is there enough to be worried about???

Jay
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

..think you need to be a bit more specific in the question.
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
..think you need to be a bit more specific in the question.
Well in a room this size how bad could time delay that's off a little effect the overall sound??? I am thinking in this size room that it shouldn't be too terrible!!!

Jay
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmusic View Post
How important is time delay in a small room say 15x22x9??? Or is there enough to be worried about???

Jay
Dont worrty about it!

Delay is good for guitars and voclas, not for your monitoring chain!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

2. The answer is 2.

Seriously though, I still don't understand the question.

Time delay as in...

Multiple microphones set up in the room and the inherent time delay between them based on their different distances from the sound source?

The delay between the direct sound from the monitors and the early reflections?

Something else I'm completely missing?
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
2. The answer is 2.

Seriously though, I still don't understand the question.

Time delay as in...

Multiple microphones set up in the room and the inherent time delay between them based on their different distances from the sound source?

The delay between the direct sound from the monitors and the early reflections?

Something else I'm completely missing?
The delay between direct sound from monitors to listening position in a smallish room 15x22x9.
Old 17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The delay between direct sound from monitors to listening position in a smallish room 15x22x9.
Now we're at least getting some where. And where would that particular number- whether it be 2ms for a near desk' setup vs 8ms from a larger monitor room come in to interest? –Actual real interest here as I'd like to see where it is you are going with the question...
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Now we're at least getting some where. And where would that particular number- whether it be 2ms for a near desk' setup vs 8ms from a larger monitor room come in to interest? –Actual real interest here as I'd like to see where it is you are going with the question...
Well I am trying to decide if I need to be concerned about time alignment issues in a room this size, while going to an active setup!!!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I am trying to decide if I need to be concerned about time alignment issues in a room this size, while going to an active setup!!!
As long as the listening position is equidistant to both monitors there is no problem, regardless of room size or specific distance.

Being active or passive is also irrelevant.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
As long as the listening position is equidistant to both monitors there is no problem, regardless of room size or specific distance.

Being active or passive is also irrelevant.
Precisely.

Time alignment is all about relatives, not absolutes.

As far as time alignment between drivers goes, it doesn't matter if you are 5 feet or 20 feet from the speakers. As long as you are equidistant from each speaker (and you are far enough away from each speaker that the speakers as a whole act as a point source or line source, whatever they may be).

To bring it into perspective...if you add a 2-buss compressor that has 44 samples of latency in a 44.1kHz session, you are adding 1 ms of delay to the output of your DAW...which would be the same as sitting 1 foot farther back (everything else held constant, which it isn't in real life, but you get the point).

However, there are other important issues you should consider when it comes to distance to the speakers. These have to do with acoustics and take into account the rest of the room. Look up monitor placement if you're interested.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

whatever your room size, you should put some absorbers up on the walls at the first reflection points

use the mirror trick
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search