The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody own a jj Audio modded v67g or Oktavamodded Nady 1050? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear
Anybody own a jj Audio modded v67g or Oktavamodded Nady 1050?

Bit of a rhetorical question. The real question is will any of you lucky schmucks post or pm me some mixes where you used the microphones in question, especially mixes where they took lead vocal duty?! Will you?!

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've found the Joly K47h capsule (the capsule that he puts in his 1050 mod) to be a niche mic, in that it's got a very pushed midrange. A pushed midrange can work on some sources, and suck on others. I've had much better luck with my JJ Audio modded V67g. On a honky male baritone, the Joly mic brings out the worst in the voice - the part that's hard to listen to. The V67g just delivers the voice the way you hear it. Here's a low-budget project I did for a local band. I used a JJ Audio modded V67g through a Eisen "neve-ish" 500 pre for the vocal. As I recall, I didn't EQ the vocal in the mix, or if I did, it was minimal.

IndiependenceMusic.net - Play, Buy, Download, New mp3 Music

The tune is "Ellie May's Biscuits" in the "top ten" list on the left. This singer would have sounded really unpleasant on the Joly mic. Trust me, when I first got my Joly mic I tried it on several similar male singers (honky baritones) - with unacceptable results.

Dr Bill will undoubtedly chime in and say that the modded 1050 sounds different than the MJE-K47h mic I have. It's the same capsule, so the push in the midrange is going to be similar. In fact, Dr Bill says he likes the more "open" sound of the MKE-K47h compared to the Joly modded 1050. Whatever. I think Dr Bill likes midrange more than I do. It's all subjective. One thing Dr Bill does say that's interesting is
Quote:
Since I've got it, I've been on a lot of projects that haven't called for it.
Since I got my modded V67g, I use it almost every friggin' day. I do use my MJE-K47 mic occasionally - now that I know what it sounds like.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
@ Dr. Bill:
Yea, I've heard that shootout. I'd love to hear the mic in different settings to see what all it might be capable of. I'm guessing you haven't really used it because you have a pretty swanky array of mics already at your disposal?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Thanks Uncle Duncan.

One thing I'm not sure about with the jjA v67g is that there seems to be something sort of odd with the sound, maybe some strange phase issues, in the vocal samples I've heard of it (which have all been from Kidvybes' mxl2003a shootout). Am I just crazy? Would it have to do with the position of the mic when they were doing the shootout, maybe? Dunno...

I'm going to listen to the link you so kindly provided now.

Edit: Definitely not hearing the same sound from your mix. Actually, the mic sounds totally different from what kidvybes' shootout would have led me to expect. This is getting confusing. At least I wasn't hearing anything overtly weird, so that's a plus.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
I've found the Joly K47h capsule (the capsule that he puts in his 1050 mod) to be a niche mic, in that it's got a very pushed midrange. A pushed midrange can work on some sources, and suck on others. I've had much better luck with my JJ Audio modded V67g. On a honky male baritone, the Joly mic brings out the worst in the voice - the part that's hard to listen to. The V67g just delivers the voice the way you hear it. Here's a low-budget project I did for a local band. I used a JJ Audio modded V67g through a Eisen "neve-ish" 500 pre for the vocal. As I recall, I didn't EQ the vocal in the mix, or if I did, it was minimal.

IndiependenceMusic.net - Play, Buy, Download, New mp3 Music

The tune is "Ellie May's Biscuits" in the "top ten" list on the left. This singer would have sounded really unpleasant on the Joly mic. Trust me, when I first got my Joly mic I tried it on several similar male singers (honky baritones) - with unacceptable results.

Dr Bill will undoubtedly chime in and say that the modded 1050 sounds different than the MJE-K47h mic I have. It's the same capsule, so the push in the midrange is going to be similar. In fact, Dr Bill says he likes the more "open" sound of the MKE-K47h compared to the Joly modded 1050. Whatever. I think Dr Bill likes midrange more than I do. It's all subjective. One thing Dr Bill does say that's interesting is Since I got my modded V67g, I use it almost every friggin' day. I do use my MJE-K47 mic occasionally - now that I know what it sounds like.
Well I sho do love me some biscuits!
Sounds great!

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Thanks Uncle Duncan.

One thing I'm not sure about with the jjA v67g is that there seems to be something sort of odd with the sound, maybe some strange phase issues, in the vocal samples I've heard of it (which have all been from Kidvybes' mxl2003a shootout). Am I just crazy? Would it have to do with the position of the mic when they were doing the shootout, maybe? Dunno...

I'm going to listen to the link you so kindly provided now.

Edit: Definitely not hearing the same sound from your mix. Actually, the mic sounds totally different from what kidvybes' shootout would have led me to expect. This is getting confusing. At least I wasn't hearing anything overtly weird, so that's a plus.
...I'm not sure what you're hearing on the shootout files, but it should be noted that, if I'm not mistaken, uncle duncan's modded V67 has the upgraded transformer option, and the unit that was used in our shootout had the stock transformer...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Duly noted! My ears are not the most experienced, so it might just be the response of the microphone is unfamiliar to me. It seemed like the highs or high mids are pulled back in an unusual way when compared to all the other mics in the shootout, even the HM2D. Sounded kind of like old radio to me. It still sounds pretty good in context (I'd been listening mostly to the mid male vocal tracks).

I'm just a little paranoid about getting what I want from the JJ Audio mod (or oktavamod) if I go that route, since it's a pretty hefty investment given my budget and I'm not so sure about how much I would be able to recoup if I decided it wasn't quite what I was looking for.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Thanks again Dr. Bill. No worries about resolving whatever dispute you two have. I take a lot of what anybody says here with a grain of salt, having had at least enough experience to realize that both performance on different applications and people's taste in audio vary widely. I agree that the 1050 sounds good on the files you posted for Oktavamod. My voice sounds pretty starkly different from the singer there, though. I think I saw somebody else mention having an Oktavamod 1050 on a thread somewhere, so maybe I'll try to track him down and pm him.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
....Please read no inuendo into my microphone useage from Uncleduncan. He's on some sort of a vendetta....
The vendatta you speak of started with MJ asserting that all bright mics sound better if they're revoiced with a $10 Chinese capsule which MJ sells for $300 when he "improves" a perfectly good mic by switching out capsules. The vendetta continues with you carrying MJ's torch for him.

I do admit to having an agenda, Dr Bill. My agenda is to keep the noobs informed so they don't get hustled by people motivated to sell product at the expense of objective advice. Everything I said in my earlier post is verifiable, which the exception of my recollection of your exact words when explaining how equally wonderful - but different - the 1050 mod and K47h mics are. That's why I threw the ball to you when I mentioned your impression of MJ's mics - so you could clarify your perception of the difference between the 1050 mod and the K47h/scd combo.

Face it, Dr Bill, your are a Oktavamod fanboy. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as the noobs recognize you as such. Me, I'm a fan of good sound. I didn't get good sound out of my MJ K47h mic - at least not on vocals. When I compared my K47h to a real U87ai, my modded V67g was much closer. What annoys me is MJ's advertisement, which states: "Need a U87? Check out our NTIa mod..." (I know - not verbatum. My bad.) This, to me, is deceptive advertising, especially since MJ can also mod a V67g with the stock capsule and get a mic much closer to a U87 than his $350 capsule swap. All I can take from that is that MJ is more interested in selling his $10 capsules for $300 than he is in providing a budget alternative to a U87. Granted, MJ (and you) also compare his capsule to a U47. The only problem is, the U47 exhibits a significant dip in the 4k-6k region. That's what makes it such a sweet sounding mic. MJ's mics have no dip in the 4k-6k region. If I'm recalling correctly (and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong) MJ said the response of his k47h capsule peaks at around 3k, with no dip at 4k-6k to sweeten the sound. How that equates with the sound of a U47 is a mystery to me.

Speaking of 3k, what I found with the MJ capsule was a harshness that you can't mitigate with EQ. This is understandable when you look at the response graph. Most mics have a bit of a peak in the high end. This peak has the affect of "hiding" the upper mids - where you find harshness. There is no high end peak in the MJ K47h capsule. This has the affect of revealing the harshness that gets hidden by a airier mic. I did find the K47h mic to sound better going through a preamp with transformers, since that mic is transformerless, so it's entirely possible that a modded 1050 could sound sweeter than the K47h/sdc combo I have, but it's not going to get rid of the 3k peak in the capsule response - something you can't EQ out of the mix. However, 3k isn't always bad. The 3k peak can make a guitar pop out of a mix, which is my main use for the mic these days - acoustic guitar solos, especially classical guitar.

It's surprising that you haven't tried the K47h mic on classical guitar, Dr Bill. Give it a shot. You might find it to be the perfect choice.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Duly noted! My ears are not the most experienced, so it might just be the response of the microphone is unfamiliar to me. It seemed like the highs or high mids are pulled back in an unusual way when compared to all the other mics in the shootout, even the HM2D. Sounded kind of like old radio to me. It still sounds pretty good in context (I'd been listening mostly to the mid male vocal tracks).

I'm just a little paranoid about getting what I want from the JJ Audio mod (or oktavamod) if I go that route, since it's a pretty hefty investment given my budget and I'm not so sure about how much I would be able to recoup if I decided it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Contact Front End Audio.

They have a JJ Audio Greyhound demo unit that they will send to you to test!!

Stock capsule, stock transformer.

Great sound!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Awesome. Thanks Jim!

Also, you modded a dmp3 for me a while back, and I gotta say, props for that. It's a really nice sounding pre. Even makes an sm58 sound detailed.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
There ya go. If you don't like it, or it doesn't suit your voice, I'm sure FEA will exchange it for something else. thumbsup
The demo unit is sent out for clients to "try before you buy" I am also sending them a Dutch microphone that will be used as a demo.

Peluso capsule.
TAB transformer, C12 circuit

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks Jim!

Also, you modded a dmp3 for me a while back, and I gotta say, props for that. It's a really nice sounding pre. Even makes an sm58 sound detailed.

Thanks for the props!!!

I was pleased with the overall improvement with the DMP3 mod. Sounds much better than a $250.00 preamp. Clean ,quiet, and refined.

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Hmm, perusing some other threads, I caught wind that there are actually 3 different tunings for the v67g mod? vintage, medium, and bright? If so, I think that explains part of why uncleduncan's and kidvybes' mics sounded so totally different to me. Guessing uncleduncan had the bright mod and kidvybes the vintage voiced mod?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm, perusing some other threads, I caught wind that there are actually 3 different tunings for the v67g mod? vintage, medium, and bright? If so, I think that explains part of why uncleduncan's and kidvybes' mics sounded so totally different to me. Guessing uncleduncan had the bright mod and kidvybes the vintage voiced mod?
...I have a modded V67G in my mic cabinet (permanent resident)...mine has the original mod Jim did for the V67G, while maintaining the stock capsule and transformer (like I said, uncle d has the upgraded tranny option on his)...the mic that was used in the shootout is actually another similarly modded V67G that belongs to a session guitarist who demoed the mic for me and my studio partner (introduced us to Jim and JJ Audio) and motivated me to purchase my own...these are "keeper" mics...they're sound is, in a word, "balanced"...every segment of the frequency response is sweet on these mics...beautiful mic for a silly price...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
V67g to U87 conversion (same circuit as the U87)

I think the mod you were looking at may have been the Studio Projects C1 mod.

The only options I offer for the V67g are:

Transformer: Jensen high quality sound. Tighter bass and mids, less smear better mids smoother highs.

Capsules: ADK Hamburg, ADK GK67, JJ67***, Neumann K67.

***Shortly I will be releasing a new high end JJ67 capsule. I will be getting the capsule next week and will start beta testing.

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Hmm. Illa said something about there being three different v67g mods in this thread

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...tudio-e-3.html

Quote:
I think that seeing as how we only had 3 days to really go through those microphones, we need to do more recording with them. Plus the V67G mod has 3 versions. Story only heard the vintage version (darkest) and we never got a chance to fire up the medium version and we didn't have the original brightest mod.
And I thought I had it all figured out...

Also, lol at Doc Bill and Unk Dunk hehheh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

...let's see...3 versions:
1.Basic Mod
2.Basic Mod w/tranny upgrade or capsule upgrade
3.Basic Mod w/both tranny & capsule upgrades

...just my guess heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

that thread brought back so many memories! I'm trying to coordinate another session of JJ works for an Indie Rock band.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...just because it sounds like crap on your system doesn't mean it does on mine with different gear behind it....
To condense this discussion to the heart of the matter, remember the Rode NT2a thread? Here's a link to it:

Rode nt2a

And here's MJ's quote:

Quote:
"But yes, Rode mics do have a "family voice" that is consistently on the bright side of neutral and this leads some folks to invest in a change toward a more "Neumann-esque" midrange focus with a less sibilant top end."
Questioning the validity of this blanket statement, I recorded a female singer through my stock Rode NT2a, and my MJE-K47h, simultaneously, through a DAV preamp, with a popper stopper, at a distance of about 8 inches. I posted the clip in that thread.

There were two comments referencing the sound clips I posted:

Quote:
With all due respect Mr Joly, the NT2a was less bright and sibilant than your Chinese creation capsule in the quickie shootout just now.
Quote:
...I had the impression that the NT2a came first [didn't read the description thoroughly], and this corresponded to my notion that NT2a would be the brightest and "hardest" of the two. But it was the other way round..!?

On headphones [Senn HD580] I found the NT2a was the most balanced of the two, that it handled sibilance better and had a touch of air above that. The difference isn't that huge, still for this voice I wouldn't change the capsule, the NT2a seems a bit more refined actually!
I would invite MJ to post these quotes on his website, in the interest of presenting a more balanced appraisal of his mic. When he does, I'll quit bothering you and your perpetual lovefest for everything MJ.

The offer of a trade for a modded 1050 is interesting, but if that's a tube mic, I think I'd pass. My main use for the K47h mic is on instruments where a "normal" mic doesn't work. In this scenario, I don't have time to wait for a tube mic to warm up. It's more like "oh crap, I guess I'll pull out the K47h and see how that sounds." However, if MJ puts his K47h capsule in a FET mic with a transformer, I'd be interested in that, especially if it's a scratch 'n dent piece he would have trouble selling.

Please understand Dr. Bill, I harbor no ill will towards you or MJ. It's just that I'm an old hippie who absolutely hates being scammed by sales hype. Sales hype annoys me the same way unemployment insurance annoys conservatives. (LOL) It's ingrained in my nature. Like I mentioned before, if MJ was selling his capsule for $75, like other mic modders do, and if he was a little less deceptive with his advertising and forum presence, I wouldn't be in this thread making an a$$ of myself. But after suffering through a couple of grueling mixes trying in vain to get Michael's K47h mic to sound good on two male singers (who sound wonderful on the modded V67g) I just can't allow myself to stand by and watch others suffering the same fate.

The LowEnders need objective advice. I attempt to give it to them. End of story.

RE:
Quote:
Guessing uncleduncan had the bright mod and kidvybes the vintage voiced mod?
I specifically requested non-essy S's with my mod, which included the Jensen transformer. I don't know if my mic had extra tweaks applied to attain that end. The "neve-ish" preamp I used for the "Ellie May's Biscuits" vocal does enhance the source with a touch of subtle sparkle - less than a A-Designs P-1, but more than a clean pre - so that may be the difference you're hearing.
Old 18th December 2010
About mics...

In refernce to the several mods in question....

Well... all this stuff about bright and not bright... is STUPID!!!!!!!LET ME REPEAT MYSELF STUPID!!!!!

The reality of it all is that some of the best studio vocal mics ever made were bright!!!!

Telefunken Ela 251??? Anyone? Or how about a Sony C800G???

So really, bright isn't bad

Bright is good, but so is not so bright (U87)

And also NOT bright at all can be amazing (RCA 44a)

but hey what do I know

Really though, I've never used a C800G :(

Or an RCA 44a ;(

But I've used other good options... I know this has nothing to do with the original post, but so that people get the right idea... Bright can be good.

Now, back to regularly scheduled programing...

Peace,
min

Last edited by mista min; 18th December 2010 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Trying to be more polite ;)
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Who's struggling?

Do we need to go on PBS and start a telethon for the poor mic modders of the world?

Dr. Bill you mentioned that you went to James Lugo's studio?

What shootout was this?

Lugo's got some pretty sick mics.

Peace
Illumination
Old 18th December 2010
oh yea

and in the words of a good friend of mine... there is no such thing as a bad mic...

Only an appropriate mic and an inappropriate mic.

Peace,
min
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
and in the words of a good friend of mine... there is no such thing as a bad mic...

Only an appropriate mic and an inappropriate mic.

Peace,
min

Agree... except that part of the reason I had been looking into these mods is that I wanted a smoother sounding ldc to get a different vocal sound. For now I decided to try a 441 since it seems to get good rep for a ton of different applications, including vocals. Thanks to all for their help!

Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 1050 is basically the same mic (well, kind of), but on steroids with all the MJ tricks pulled out like superior capsule, head basket mods, hand made attention to detail in the US with a vintage NOS GE 6072 and other circuit mods. For a mere couple hundred more than the Stellar. Seems like a no brainer.
...sorry dB but, "For a mere couple of hundred more than the Stellar"?...the Oktavamod 1050 mod features an upgraded chinese 3-micron K47 type capsule, an nice NOS 6072 tube, some wire, some electrolytic capacitors swapped out, and some mesh pulled out of the headbasket...still the same original Nady circuit design, same stock transformer...and the price of $359 includes only the mods, not the microphone...

...the Stellar CM-6 has an upgraded chinese 6-micron K67 type capsule (re-positioned higher in the headbasket, similar to the original U47's capsule/ headbasket configuration to reduce sibilance), an entirely new EF86-type tube circuit (featuring high quality polystyrene, WIMA film capacitors and audiophile grade Nichicon Muse electrolytic capacitors), a new premium TungSol EF806 tube, an upgraded BV8 style dual-bobbin transformer, AND INCLUDES THE MICROPHONE, SHOCKMOUNT, POWER SUPPLY, CABLES AND FLIGHTCASE FOR $350 ...hmmm...now which one is the no brainer?...

Quote:
It takes REALLY loud singers well. Although when pushed extremely hard, I often liked the glossy distortion of the U48 a bit more than the MJ1050. I've been talking with MJ a bit about this and when he builds mine (yes I ordered one immediately after hearing it) we're going to try a few different transformer options, as I have an instinctual feeling that what I was hearing on the MJ1050 when it got pushed hard was the transformer..
bp
...I would also contend that combining a modified single mesh headbasket with a 3-micron capsule (as the Oktavamod does) would make the mic a bit more susceptible to SPL issues, undesireable distortion or capsule overload with singers that work the mic closely...or, as you mentioned, maybe a transformer upgrade would remedy the issue you referred to...

Quote:
part of the reason I had been looking into these mods is that I wanted a smoother sounding ldc to get a different vocal sound. For now I decided to try a 441 since it seems to get good rep for a ton of different applications, including vocals. Thanks to all for their help!
...best of luck with your purchase...the 441 is indeed an excellent and versatile choice...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's unfortunate you didn't get the right vintage 1050 to have it modded by MJ. I suspect you might be singing a different tune these days. It's never too late to step up though.....thumbsup
...first, let me say, it was you who brought the Stellar CM-6 into this thread, not I...

...look dB...you're a really nice guy with serious professional credentials...you're well respected here on GS and for very good reason...I honestly believe you when you say you love your buddy's work...I don't want to keep having these kind of conversations, but it seems like you keep egging me on...I feel like Al Pacino in Godfather 3, "Just when I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in"...you already know I was ready to pull the trigger on an Oktavamod 1050, based on your recommendations, but when I was told that the installation of a tube socket in place of the soldered tube was too time consuming to be implemented, I lost all confidence in the tech skills being offered...

...I have read 100's of web pages on the Prodigy DIY site about modding the Apex 460 and the Nady 1050...detailed descriptions from guys like Marik and Gus, that specifically address the deficiencies in the original chinese circuits, as well as the quality of the stock transformers and capsules...changing out a tube and swapping the capsule are not difficult procedures by any means...I've got a box full of NOS tubes, and have been "rolling" NOS tubes for years in my gear...I would say, the Apex or Nady mod is one of the simplest procedures as far as mic modding goes, especially if your only changing a few capacitors, swapping a tube and capsule...

...if I'm going to spend money having my mics modded by a pro, I'm interested in serious circuit modifications, with high grade components like paper in oil capacitors, carefully paired with beefy transformers and a selection of capsule options...I don't want a modder who puts the same exact capsule in every mic, regardless of circuit design, tube or FET, transformer or transformerless, and does little else other than pull out the headbasket mesh (which may or may not be an issue), uses heavy wire that is unlike any I've seen used in microphones (even the most elite boutique mics), and replaces a few caps while maintaining the original questionable chinese circuit...

...if your going to make statements like:

Quote:
as opossed to another Chinese knock off in a line of hundreds. "Pre" modded or not.
...whats the Oktavamod 1050?...a stock Chinese knockoff with a few upgraded components (just like the Stellar, but with even fewer upgrades)...

...it's not my intention to discredit anybody's work, but if you want to draw comparisons than let's look at the whole picture...the difference between the Stellar CM-6 and the Oktava modded 1050 are obvious, and while you speak highly of your mic, the structural similarities and differences are there and the pricepoints are dramatic considering one is just a suite of simple modifications/component swaps, while the other is a complete upgraded and finished product ready to use, for less money...so to me the "no brainer" is in the value as well as the performance...the stock Nady TCM1050 retails for $229...so for $120 more, with the CM-6, you get a larger, higher quality 35mm capsule, totally modded EF86 circuit with upgraded components, dual-bobbin (humbucking) transformer, and a premium TungSol EF806 tube ($30 retail)...that's value!

...and just for the record, my opinion of the CM-6 is shared by my partner Kevin Miller, who is one of the "young gun" engineers down here in S.FL and Atlanta...currently producer/composer Danja's engineer at the Hit Factory/Criteria in North Miami (they have a few nice "classic" mics there as well)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danja_%28musician%29

...dB, you are certainly justified to "reserve your judgement", but I suggest others seriously consider their options when spending their hard earned dollars...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post

the Prodigy DYI site
The prodigy Do Yourself In site?

Sorry...

When do you think you'll be able to post some clips of the stellar cm-6? I already bought my mic for the season I think, but I'm still very interested in hearing the cm-6 in action!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The prodigy Do Yourself In site?

Sorry...
...actually, the last time I attempted some soldering tasks, I essentially did just that...got scars to prove it...heh

Quote:
When do you think you'll be able to post some clips of the stellar cm-6? I already bought my mic for the season I think, but I'm still very interested in hearing the cm-6 in action!
...my partner/engineer has been booked all week on location sessions (he also has a CM-6 at his home studio) and I can only post files of myself talking, as none of my clients have been available...I will try and get some files up within the next week...I'd prefer to post either vocal or guitar tracks as reference files...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Looking forward to it
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Another MJ vs JJ thread?

I can't read all this stuff, it's tiresome.

I've been beta testing JJ, I have tons of it in my locker, I'm constantly listening to clips that Langston and Jim play for me and giving them feedback. If I hear something I don't like I let them know.

From what I've heard of MJ's stuff, I've been very much impressed. MJ is damn good at what he does, his mods are consistently vast improvements on what he works on.

MJ vs JJ is going to be a matter of taste - both are going to try to best each other as much as possible. And that's great.

Why? Because in the end, both are absolutely crushing the real competition. And that's the factory retailed mics. Bang for your buck, you will get a better mic with mod than with a retailed mic at the same cost. And people are figuring that out.

There's another thread about this, but you'll see that mic companies are doing "pre-mods" now - that's so they can compete with Michael and Jim, and the other small operation mic guys. The overhead is so much lower for these guys that the internation mic companies are struggling to meet the same quality for price. We've seen this many times, Royer changed the ribbon game the same way, and Shinybox is following suit.

But if it squashes "the beef", you can go ahead and quote me on Mike's site saying that I am frequently impressed by the quality that Joly delivers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search