The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody own a jj Audio modded v67g or Oktavamodded Nady 1050? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Although there was an implicit JJ vs. MJ comparison (as well as U87ish vs U47ish) in the title of this thread, I would just like to state that it was never my intention to instigate a contest of legitimacy. I've only directly dealt with JJ Audio, but from what I can tell, Oktavamod packs some pretty serious value for money, and in different ways from what JJ and Illacov are doing! I was just trying to see if one of these two mods inspired enough confidence to make it my next mic purchase. If I had a $1500 budget for mics instead of a $600-$700 budget for mics, preamps, and now, thanks to the nature of gearslutz advice, outboard compressors (heh), I would seriously consider getting both the Oktavamod 1050 and the JJ Audio greyhound. It just seems like these guys don't have to cover all the same bases as the manufacturers in terms of financial obligation, and are therefore providing huge steps up in quality for a relatively low price.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

well, you can already see where this is going....whoever has one of the modded MJ 1050's needs to put it up against the new one kidvybes is digging.
let the audio be the decider.
until then, it's just undefendable opinions over which "might" be better.
It'd be nice if the cheaper one won...an easy $300 saved right there.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vault View Post
well, you can already see where this is going....whoever has one of the modded MJ 1050's needs to put it up against the new one kidvybes is digging.
let the audio be the decider.
until then, it's just undefendable opinions over which "might" be better.
It'd be nice if the cheaper one won...an easy $300 saved right there.
...maybe so...but the construction of both mics is similar enough that the likelihood is they will sound comparable, but slightly different due to the capsule voicings and circuit variations (by design, one is more in the family of the U47 "voicing", while the other is more towards the U67 "voicing", for whatever that's worth)...

..."better" is always subjective when auditioning mics (sonic beauty is in the "ears" of the beholder), and I believe both mics sound very good...but there's no ignoring that the price differential is rather dramatic, so it plays an important part in the comparison equation...pick your poison...heh
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lets see. Stellar has sold (3) of these new "wonder toob mics" so far. Two of them to the same buyer. This is the same brand as the ribbon mics I regularly receive to replace sagging ribbons, mics not even sold any more - because the ribbons were not installed properly. Ask Stellar to bring his mic to Hollywood and hire a $250 / hr studio with Gold and Platinum talent to evaluate it against the classics. You think an eBay seller who gets most of his revenue from selling tubes, who doesn't have a web site - or verifiable testimonials, is the picture of a sustainable business model? Makes me think of Chance Pataki and group buys. Caveat emptor.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Hey MJ, Chance is a stand up guy. No matter what anyone said about that group buy, he did it as a labor of love for the community, and he got TRASHED by bitchy whiners and complainers who didn't have a clue how hard he was working for them - not to mention the chinese businessmen who took advantage. I'm 100% satisfied with my involvement in that GB, although I wish those who had troubles had a more equitable way of working things out, but we all knew that going in...... thumbsup
Oh, I wasn't slagging off Chance - the poor guy suffered health problems as a result of his generosity of time. What I meant is this - up front design, travel to China for meetings, multiple iterations of samples, continual quality control measures, responsive customer service...on and on...(the stuff missing in "group buys" and low end mics) incurs costs to execute.

Its just that I have my own opinion of where the "wall of diminishing returns" lies. Its certainly not a $10,00 mic, nor a $5,000 mic...and increasingly the $2,000 mics have really got to work to prove themselves. I'm fortunate that my sense of where the "wall of diminishing returns" lies happens to coincide with a large base of mic buyers.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Lets see. Stellar has sold (3) of these new "wonder toob mics" so far. Two of them to the same buyer.
Hey Michael,
Guess that would be me. I was tired of trying decide on a tube mic and didn't want to get one for $200-$300 that I'd end up having to spend another $300-$400 getting mods done. So I took a chance on these after discussions with Dennis, Peter and another friend of mine who knows tube mics pretty well. It does remain to be seen what they will do, (in my case anyway) but the specs seemed worthy to me. But what do I know, I'm just a musician trying to put together tools to record with. Hopefully they'll sound just fine along with my MJ-NT2A's.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Mitchell - as an early adopter the seller will make sure you're happy.

But I question the scalability of business model and the exclusive passion for mics - a passion to deliver the same degree of happiness to a couple of thousand customers. But hey, if a cat's got a full time day job and can make a few bucks on the side selling tubes and mics on eBay more power to him.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

That Stellar mic is cheap.......... Considering the components listed, I'm surprised at the price.

Looks like a great mic, and as Dr. Bill said, if it offers a great tone, they should sell like hotcakes.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mitchell - as an early adopter the seller will make sure you're happy.
So far, that does seem to be the case.

Quote:
But I question the scalability of business model and the exclusive passion for mics to deliver the same degree of happiness to a couple of thousand customers. But hey, if a cat's got a full time day job and can make a few bucks on the side selling tubes and mics on eBay more power to him.
I hear ya. I don't know Peter or what his motivation is, but I guess he's got to start somewhere. From my correspondance and understanding, he seems genuine and knowledgable. The same qualities that prompted me to send my mics to you not so long ago when I was wading through the sea of opinions up here in my quest for gear.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 19th December 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
The vendatta you speak of started with MJ asserting that all bright mics sound better if they're revoiced with a $10 Chinese capsule which MJ sells for $300 when he "improves" a perfectly good mic by switching out capsules. .
Is this true? Also, I thought Joly wasn't posting here anymore, what happened? I was interested in both JJ audio and some of the Joly mods but the bickering between everyone has left a bad taste in my mouth as a potential customer.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've said I reserve the right to post here to correct mis-information and libel. And gosh darn it - it just seems like there's been a fcuking lack of checks and balances around here lately. Must be four thousand fcuking words about a mic that has sold three units (go over to eBay and count them yourself) - and no audio.

Oh gee. I forgot. This place is not about fcuking recording and actually using one's own fcuking ears. Its about talking about recording and reading what some "poser" - oops, "poster" has to say, right?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've said I reserve the right to post here to correct mis-information and libel. And gosh darn it - it just seems like there's been a fcuking lack of checks and balances around here lately. Must be four thousand fcuking words about a mic that has sold three units (go over to eBay and count them yourself) - and no audio.

Oh gee. I forgot. This place is not about fcuking recording and actually using one's own fcuking ears. Its about talking about recording and reading what some "poser" - oops, "poster" has to say, right?
...again, I reiterate, I was not the one who introduced the Stellar mic into this thread...

...and you come out of your GS retirement over a mic that sold 3 units?...hmmm...interesting...

Quote:
Ask Stellar to bring his mic to Hollywood and hire a $250 / hr studio with Gold and Platinum talent to evaluate it against the classics. You think an eBay seller who gets most of his revenue from selling tubes, who doesn't have a web site - or verifiable testimonials, is the picture of a sustainable business model?
...your presence on here, trying to diminish the guy's credibility speaks volumes about your real concerns...

Quote:
Enough with the hyperbole.
...jeez, even I'm getting tired of these rants...good lawd!..."hyperbole"?...where have I heard that before?...heh
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

...jeez, I'm flattered!...they're "tag teaming" me now!...heh
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Geez, how can I say that it's OK for you to have the last word without making my post the last word??? It there some sort of internet protocol for this?? heh heh

You win!!!!

...thanks dB...I can go to sleep now!...
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

did he just call kidvybes a "poser"?
is this what's it's come down too?
wow.

talk about a green eyed monster...Michaels defense mechanisms show like a scared 4 year old throwing a tantrum because you took his wookie.
I love how he's suddenly threatened by the ebay guy and his 3 sold mics.
This is better than a sitcom.
Like watching a business guy slowly unravel his own business, one customer at a time.
Michael...does anyone recommend you just shut up?...your wife maybe?..maybe a friend?
actually don't shut up.
keep unravelling
...this is gold!...Gold Jerry!

actually we should start a thread, tout a tube mic as the best, list it for $200, then wait to see how long it takes for MJ to call someone names, tout his "platinum" recording studio experience against a modded U48, and have dr.bill say it's all chinese crap till Michael touches it.
I'd give it...4 hours , maybe 6.

and this from a guy who retired from gearslutz.

as I've said...like a sitcom.

is this normal around here?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

actually...yes.

but you gotta admit, that thread idea would work.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vault View Post
...this is gold!...Gold Jerry!
heh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qm0KUPeD8
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

oh thank you Madguitarist...I was hoping someone would get that reference!
Gold Jerry...Gold!!!
Old 19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

Hating the Hate

Guys, this is (hopefully if I can do it) my last post on this thread. Anyone who wants any clarification on things I said can PM me directly and I'll be happy to answer. Thankfully, the OP found his mic (MD 441) and our help (at least mine) is no longer needed. I'm absolutely hating the hate that GS is full of as of late, and if you feel I contributed, my sincerest apologies. Anyone who knows me knows of my passion for mics, and communicating about it sometimes gets the best of my emotions……BUT, my heart can no longer take the negativity on this and other related threads.

I'm checking out with this sincere Christmas wish for all of you :

……and on Earth, Peace and Goodwill towards men……

I'm going to delete all my posts in hopes that it will help in some small way to calm things down……

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

bp
Old 19th December 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:

You should hire someone to do your PR.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

All I Want for Christmas

is my TWO (of the three previously debated and vigorously challenged but as of yet unheard, but nevertheless purchased by me in the hopes of gettng a decent tube mic for under $500 without having to have it modded for my low end studio in the swamps of Mississippi) CM-6's.

Who would have thought 10 mics would show up on eBay and initiate a thread like this?

Cheers and Merry Christmas everybody

Mitchell
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Who would have thought 10 mics would show up on eBay and initiate a thread like this?
...oddly, those mics were never even part of this thread, which was ill-fated from the get-go simply because of the topic, a direct comparison of two modded mics...as in life, when things get heated, conversations get derailed...

...on a lighter note, I hope you enjoy your Christmas mics Mitchell!...Holiday Blessings!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Happy Christmas Dennis. Maybe I'll have a few of those CM6's by January. Who knows?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_subsonic View Post
Happy Christmas Dennis. Maybe I'll have a few of those CM6's by January. Who knows?
...thanks Ray!...Christmas Blessings and a "mic-infused" New Year to you!...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...oddly, those mics were never even part of this thread, which was ill-fated from the get-go simply because of the topic, a direct comparison of two modded mics...as in life, when things get heated, conversations get derailed...

...on a lighter note, I hope you enjoy your Christmas mics Mitchell!...Holiday Blessings!
Yes, you are correct, I should have said "initiate the derailing of".
Thanks man, working on the shipping now as I was late getting back to him yesterday so they won't go til tomorrow.

The boys from Wicked Waltz are coming over today to work on some tunes with me so I'll check back for more later....

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgadd View Post
Where can i listen to the fabulous stellar mic, any samples out here?
best for quick comparison with samples from the stock nady
and mj's work.

....and all the debates here are obsolete.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

This scares me!!!!

I can envision him taking a break from modding to check out this forum, getting really upset, and then returning the the mics full of anger and wanting to smash them against the wall.

No doubt he's a pro and this won't happen, but I'm still scared none-the-less.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgadd View Post
Where can i listen to the fabulous stellar mic, any samples out here?
best for quick comparison with samples from the stock nady
and mj's work.

....and all the debates here are obsolete.
...yeah, I hear yuh man...but the holidays have made it near impossible to corale serious talent to run some vocal samples (you don't want to hear me sing)...hope to have something before the week's out...

...but I have to say, the Tape Op review for the AA CM-47 sold quite a bit of mics with no audio samples (none on the AA site either) and this mic is of remarkably similar quality and performance...I own both...just sayin'...

...read this thread in the meantime:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...icrophone.html
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Move along folks... nothing to see here... nothin' at all...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search