The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will US 19" rack gear attach and screw easily into 19" European standard rack rails? Plugin Bundles
Old 16th December 2010
Will US 19" rack gear attach and screw easily into 19" European standard rack rails?

Hi guys,

Quick question. Most of my 19" rack gear except for two racks are from the US. I'm in Australia. I want to buy some rack rails to go inside a custom made desk for my new studio but the only rack rails I can buy locally are European style rack rails with square holes instead of round holes. Apparently you have to buy a square clip to go in it which gives you a round hole again but the only square clips you can buy here are for M6 screws which is not the US standard for rack gear, they use M5 screws. Also the two rack units I bought in Australia have slightly larger but not as wide looking holes on the rack ears which makes me a little concerned. To me M6 sounds larger than M5 so if I buy European rack rails and M6 square clips, so will the US rack gear fit in the European rack?

Obviously importing US rack rails will be more expensive as I haven't been able to find a US site that will ship international to me yet except for ebay where I would have to import 2 different sized pairs of rack rails from different people plus the clips and screws from someone else so the shipping costs make it more expensive. Also I have read that the square hole design with the clips is better because if you loose the thread for the screw hole inside the clip you just replace the clip instead of having to replace a whole rack rail.

So that brings me back to my question: Will US 19" rack gear attach easily to European Rack rails?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

All rack-mounted gear will be able to accommodate the slightly larger screws to mount to European rails, as long as the screws match the square mounts, you're fine.
Old 17th December 2010
Alright, so perhaps I'll buy the European rack rails from Australia and hope the US gear fits.

Thanks
Old 17th December 2010
Your question scares me.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

19 inches in the us is the same as 19 inches in the uk. You only have to worry about that if you will be recording in a worm hole, black hole or some other anomaly that bends space and time (trust me recording in a black hole is worth though just for the delay)

Last edited by Beefy; 17th December 2010 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
(trust me recording in a black hole is worth though just for the delay)
But if you're actually in the black hole -- i.e., across the event horizon -- that delay is infinite. You'd never hear it, ever!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

It a subtlety thing. Some times it's the things you can't hear that do the most.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Have had a bit of experience in this area, being in Sydney and having moved a studio from LA to here. M6 and M5 are metric sizes, 6 mm and 5 mm. Some US racks I have moved down here had right angle steel with holes drilled and tapped to take rack screws. There were a couple of different sizes of thread and one was metric, the other an imperial size.

The typical way of building racks down here is as you noted, using rack strip that has square holes punched to take cage nuts. You can buy cage nuts in most common metal thread screw sizes, but by far the more common in use is 6 mm.

If you ask me, I'd take the 6mm metal thread screw and cage nut scenario any day over smaller screw sizes screwed directly into tapped steel. The cage nuts generally don't strip/bind anywhere near as much as the tapped rack strip variety.

Also 19" is a standard, so Drawmer, TC Electronics, Neve, dBx, Lexicon etc can all coexist quite happily in the rack of your choice

Good luck with the screwdriver mate !
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Wink 19 is what is is

Yes I have heard that 19" American is similar to 19" European .. but watch out for those 48.26cm ones .. or gawd forbid the 483mm ones .. !

<EG>
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

In actual fact, UK inches, being Imperial Inches, are vastly superior to the inferior American Inches offered by the Colonial Upstarts.

Also, UK Metric threads are generally nicer, less greasy and more clean-cut than those offered by Johnny Foreigner.

And how many US 19" rack vendors can display "Gear Support supplier by appointment to Her majesty Queen Elisabeth II"?

Yours sincerely,

James "Bristler" Jingo,
Major, Poona Light Horse (retired)

heh
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
In actual fact, UK inches, being Imperial Inches, are vastly superior to the inferior American Inches offered by the Colonial Upstarts.
Hah! And that's why each Independence Day we celebrate our liberation from the tyranny of those dastardly Brits and their aristocratic measurement systems. And we don't need no danged rational logic-based Metric System, either.

Marekuh!

Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Also, UK Metric threads are generally nicer, less greasy and more clean-cut than those offered by Johnny Foreigner.
Hey' coming from the good ole US of A I resemble that remark.
Old 16th January 2011
So I bought and attached the European rack rails to my desk and all the US gear fits fine with the larger European screws and cage nuts.

I put in a couple of rack units between the rails while I was building the inclosure so that I got the distance right. It's better than building it at exactly 19" wide with no margin for error. Each unit can slide at little left and a little right.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search