The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How'd I do on the Mic locker? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

How'd I do on the Mic locker?

Hi guys,

My first post but I've been reading a ton. Really appreciate all the knowledge on this board and have been taking various mic recommendations to heart.

I'm ramping up my home studio, starting with enough mics to do a decent job of recording drums and do double duty on the rest. (Upgrading from a pair of lowly AT2020's). Originally I was going to buy new and then decided to go on an ebay spree. (Kinda more fun to find the deals/gems). Here's what I got so far:

Pair of new SM57's - $117
New Beta 52a - $148
Used Rode NT1A - $176
New Oktava MK-012-01 STEREO PAIR - $367
Used SM7b - $300
Used Studio Projects C1 - $80

Total: $1,188

I'm feeling pretty good about this for a major upgrade from what I had. But what am I missing, where did I let a deal lead me astray?

Cheers.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

very slutty deal on the 57s, way to go!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Two sm57's for $117! Secondhand or chinese fakes? Thats a good price if they are real.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

I damn well hope they're real! How good are the chinese at faking the SHURE packaging?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_sparks View Post
I damn well hope they're real! How good are the chinese at faking the SHURE packaging?
Please tell us that you didn't buy them from ebay. I bought a pair and they looked legit but sounded terrible. The packaging was spot on. I was suspicious as the package was shipped from China, which could make sense if they were produced there. But they're made in Mexico. I did a paypal dispute stating that they didn't send me the item I purchased and got all my money back.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

I totally got burned on these! Fake, but sure hard to tell. The most telling is the SM57 font is wrong on the mic. Chalk it up to newbie ignorance.

Now I'm worried I got a fake Beta too. ****ers!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Not to be there bearer of bad news, but I hear th SM7B fakes are more prevalent than the 57's/58's. Probably due to cost...
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomentsloss View Post
Not to be there bearer of bad news, but I hear th SM7B fakes are more prevalent than the 57's/58's. Probably due to cost...

What?? Thats news to me...
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

What type of interface are you using? And what kind of music?
Pres?
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

I'm safe on the SM7B (used, guy bought from the local music store), but I'm now wondering about that Beta 52a. It looks authentic, but there's no warranty card in the box, which I understand is a big red flag.

My background is this:

I had a hobby studio for demo's only, used it as a songwriting tool - a firepod, couple of cheap condensors, and logic.

It was good for song writing, pre-production, and sequencing. I recorded an album over the summer in a pro studio, and it was a great learning experience. But since I'm a one man band, I found it frustrating to record on the time table of the studio time, plus most studios use ProTools, so once the files were in their system, it was hard for me to add other parts from my logic set up. So I decided to invest in a better studio set up that would give me a good enough sound and let me plug away on songs at my own pace.

The biggie is to record passable drums.

So... as for pre's and interface - none and a busted firepod right now.

I'm getting a room in the basement reno'ed and treated and I'm chipping away at gear for a decent home studio in the mean time.

For pre's I was thinking the RNP and a GA pre 73. For an interface, I'm still shopping. Probably a MOTU 8pre. Then some half-decent studio monitors.

I'm trying for good enough stuff and then will upgrade over time.

Shane

PS: The album is here, in case you're interested: Broken Lovers | Faith, My Atheist Love

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search