The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trade in Digi002 for... Audio Interfaces
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Trade in Digi002 for...

As of late I have been leaning more towards Logic than Pro Tools. As I understand it, Logic is not hardware dependant, and Pro Tools is. But the mic pres in the Digi002Rack are nothing to write home about, and I'm wondering if I would be better off selling it and buying X other interface instead? I realize this would mean that I wouldn't be able to use Pro Tools anymore... but as far as I can tell the only real advantage of Pro Tools over Logic is in the editing, which I don't do all that much of anyway, and haven't tried to do in Logic yet.

What would you guys do? I record mostly live instruments, in a rock and roll context. Any alternate interface I bought would need to have:

-At least as many pre's, if not more
- Better pre's, or other features that make it better than the 002
- Be able to talk to my other interface, the Berhinger Ultragain Pro-8 Digital. I use lightpipe to hook it up to the Digi currently
- Be in about the same price range, or a little more than I could expect to get for the Digi. $500ish?

Cheers!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Youre probably aware that if you buy Pro Tools 9 you can use any interface (apparently)

I would recommend on just deciding on a DAW and going with it, there must be a way to edit in a decent amount of time in Logic (PT guy here)

I think the playing field has perhaps been leveled a bit interface wise if you are comparing Logic to Pro Tools 9 (you be the judge?)
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Trade in Digi002 for...

Ive always used protools. But when I was at this other studio for about 5 months I used nothing but logic. It's not that hard to get the hang of. Kind of unorganized though. It's fancy looking but unnecessary. It's more for people who make music virtually. At least I'n my opinion. But I got protools 9 and it's great. Everything you need. Works standalone as well. Have it on several computers. Idk. Logic definitely isn't bad. I just prefer PT. Especially for live music
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies guys... and no, I wasn't aware that you can use any interface with Pro Tools 9. Something to think about for sure. Part of my leaning towards Logic is that for whatever reason, I seem to get less crashes and performance issues with it than with Pro Tools. Of course, there are a million variables that could effect that, but on the surface, running the same laptop and same gear, Logic seems to be more stable.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Oh... and...

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

OSX 10.5.8
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

i'm upgrading to protools 9 and will be getting the BLA sig mod done to my 002r soon.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I hear great things always about the Apogee interfaces (and you can use them with Logic or Pro Tools 9)
Old 17th December 2010

Quote:
As of late I have been leaning more towards Logic than Pro Tools. As I understand it, Logic is not hardware dependant, and Pro Tools is. But the mic pres in the Digi002Rack are nothing to write home about, and I'm wondering if I would be better off selling it and buying X other interface instead? I realize this would mean that I wouldn't be able to use Pro Tools anymore... but as far as I can tell the only real advantage of Pro Tools over Logic is in the editing, which I don't do all that much of anyway, and haven't tried to do in Logic yet.
how are your mics and preamps? Changing interfaces will only sound as good as your mics and mic preamps and it cost alot to hear the diffrence in good converters and still won't make as much diffrence as mics or preamps or even better monitors. I went from a 001 to a tascam dm24 could I hear a diffrence yes was it worth 2400 dollars? no not really. I could of got a lot more improvment with half that invested in better mics and pres
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Sounds like my story. I started out my home studio with a Digi 002 and PT 6. I found I was doing most of my scratch tracks in GarageBand, because it was so easy to use. It didn't take long for me to switch to Logic, since it shared the intuitive interface GB uses.

I used the 002 with Logic for a couple of years - it worked, but I couldn't use any of the 002's features in Logic - it was basically a big (I had the mixer version) pre/converter.

I took the plunge and got an Apogee Ensemble, and haven't looked back since. Great sounds, and much better stability.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

My mic pres are nothing special. I've got the Digi, a Berhinger ADA8000. And I've also got a Mackie 24:8 bus mixer, which probably has the best pres of the bunch, but still... nothing all that special. I should have specified that by "interface", I meant one that included pres. Thinking something like the Focusrite Octopre.

See, I do most of my tracking at the jam space... and I don't feel like dragging the board down there every time. So some quality pres would be very usefull.

I guess I could also just get some analogue pres and feed the inputs of the Digi, thus letting me keep the option of running Pro Tools if I want/need to.
Old 18th December 2010

id recomend outboard preamps and using the line ins of the 002
Old 13th January 2011
Here for the gear

protools 9 an mackie 24.8

my name is bobby bean an i starting a studio/video production here in my house an i just want to ask a question i have an imac with protools 9 an a profire 610 i found a good deal on a mackie 24.8 mixer with meter bar an power supply for 300.00 coming out of this studio in chicago an i was just wondering if u think im going in the rong direction i had it checked out its just like new u may call me @ 815-501-3064 call or txt i would like to get some feed back also Bob Bean | Facebook is facebook if u would like to see my studio pics thank you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search