The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie Onyx FW Mixers? or a better Pre? HELP Mixers (Analog)
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Mackie Onyx FW Mixers? or a better Pre? HELP

right now I have a M-Audio 610 but was thinking of getting the Onyx FW Mixer... A gearslut friend of mine that is running some high end gear told me not to waste my money on it because he feels its a pease of junk.... I like the fact that I can mix in analog and its 16in 16out plus be able to mix in a analog desk I feel will give me that sound that Im missing.... what you guys think?????....

I wanted to go with a all out AD DA that will give me many more ins and outs so I can run it through a bigger bored but he said It would get very pricey by the time I got anyware with it....

Being I use almost all midi I really wanted to start running some sounds through a analog source...

He feels I should save my money for a great Pre.....?????

Im now more lost then ever before LOL.... I have a PreSonus Studio Channel but being that its mono I cant see running every track through it...

what You guys think??? Please help
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

save your cash.

buy some auralex, or moving blankets.

find a fire wire interface that appeals to you and your needs. but make sure its AD/DA conversion is of quality.

get your self a nice mic pre that you love and sounds great to YOUR ears.

there are TONS of great budget mics that sound great.

pickup a nice set of near fields.

and TIME to learn the ins and outs of your DAW of choice

oh and dont forget the comfy chair.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have a great mic that I love the Sm7... but I hear you on the other stuff
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Looks like im going with a good 2 channel tube pre
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
Many people bash the quality of gear with no basis to back up why it sucks.

The Onyx pre amps are as good or better than most M audio interfaces.
Are they better than what your friends high end studio is equiped with?
Prob not. Ya gotta weight all the issues. If you want to track 16 tracks live and can't afford an Apogee AD16X ($3500) and 8 LA610 solo's (12800.00)

The Mackie will do it just fine and certainly no worse quality than an M Audio interface.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks so much for the reply... it really helped
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Check the Onyx preamp specs. Looks like they have a maximum gain range of 60db, which is the required (Shure suggested) minimum for the SM7. Ask around to see if these pres get noisy in this case. My RNP also has a max 60db of gain, like the Mackie, and it does have a bit of noise at the maximum setting when hooked up to an SM7. It's usable, but I need to mute the vocal track between lines for sure... I'll make sure my next pre will have 70-80db!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, if you want to go all out on a mixer, you may want to look into Allen & Heath's R16. The EQ is more flexible than the Mackie, and it can double as a DAW controller and summing box. Though, what are you planning to hook up that requires so many I/O?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Im running presonus studio channel in chain so I should have plenty of gain I think
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Fingers View Post
Well, if you want to go all out on a mixer, you may want to look into Allen & Heath's R16. The EQ is more flexible than the Mackie, and it can double as a DAW controller and summing box. Though, what are you planning to hook up that requires so many I/O?
I want to mix in live hands on analog in some parts of my mix... I always loved the sound of analog mixing... it gives a sound of reality to the mix... at least to me
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

I think the old Onyx desk´s are fine. The Onyx pre is right compeared to most budget pres´s or Interface Intergrated pre´s. It´s clean and natural, not bad at all. I use a Onyx 1620 desk with the direct out´s into my Echo Audiofire 8. The AF8 pres are about the same as the Onyx, the Onyx might sound a bit better. You can make fine recordings with the Onyx pre´s. The two Hi-Z inputs on mine also sound good. The Onyx pre dosent sound sterile to me, just clean and nice. It wont sound like a 1000$ pre, but nobody would expect that!

One thing you should know is that the direct out is BEFORE eq, so all you get out from the direct out´s is the pre, unless you mod the board. There is a mod to do this in Mackie forum, or you can have your local shop do it for ya. The mod let´s you use the whole channel strip through the direct out´s. So you benefit of a full board.

In my case, the Onyx was the best quality/price board to get 8 pre´s for doing multi recording like drums or whole band reference takes.

I don´t have or use the Onyx firewire card, as I trust my Echo for that. No driver issues with Echo. The firewire card is a whole different story! The same happens if you use the firewire card, you only get the pre´s direct out, no matter if you mod the board or not, through the card, you only get pre. Hope this helps.

Having a board is cool, I can switch from my monitors on to my headphones, strap compresors on or other outboard gear etc, and it also works great for live shows. You can do alot of things with a decent board.

Care,

Mike
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have an Onyx 1640 for sale at the moment. I'm keeping the smaller version - the 1220. Why? It's a great mixer for the price. When you're paying 'used' prices I think the Onyx range are unbeatable on a budget.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
When you're paying 'used' prices I think the Onyx range are unbeatable on a budget.
+ 1 thumbsup on that!

Got mine for 400€ two years ago. That´s 50€ per pre on the 1620 board. Hard to beat really.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the replies ... im still trying to figure out witch way im going to go

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search