The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good summing amp for around 1k? Summing Mixers
Old 16th December 2010
ep1c0ne
Good summing amp for around 1k?

I'm considering getting a summing amp. Is there anything good for around 1k? I'm not looking for totally clean, but also not extremely colored. Something I can drive hard if I want more color.

I've seen the TL Audio Ebony S4's for around that much, has anyone used one of them, how is it? What other options do I have?
Old 17th December 2010
ep1c0ne
...or best to just stay ITB?
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

I know Black Lion Audio has a summing mixer for about $1000.
Old 17th December 2010

if you have alot of outboard then summing if not stay in the box. A passive summing amp is nothing more then fixed 1% resistors on a bridged solid core wire if your paying a grand for that your being ripped off big time if You want a decent option I'd say try a SM Pro Audio PM8
it can be fully passive drive it with any 2 channels of the same preamp or you can use the makeup gain amp that it has built in I think they went for 400.00
Old 4th June 2011
Gear Addict
Nah, go for a BLA PM8. I've got one and it's the bee's knees. I mean, if you're going to spend 4 bills on the SM pro audio summer, then just drop the extra dough for the transformers and better resistors in the BLA version. It makes an audible difference. Overall, the results I've had with OTB summing (purely for the sake of summing, no other outboard) have been sonically better than ITB mixing.

Keep in mind, the difference is not great, and there's no reason why a perfectly acceptable mix CAN'T be created ITB... But to my ears, what I'm getting with my summer just sounds a little more "glued", stays accurate to what I'm hearing, and gets me closer to the "finished" sound that I'm looking for.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search