The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 w a step-down transformer? Audio Interfaces
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Using Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 w a step-down transformer?

hey all,
Im looking into getting a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 imported from the US (110V AC)

Im in Australia (240V AC).

I already have a step-down transformer and a US-style power board (with two synths attached).

Will there be likely audio issues in running a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 off a transformer and power board?

Alternatively, I've read that some devices are now built to handle different voltages, and will swap automatically (I think a lot of Roland's current gear is meant to). Does anyone know if the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is capable of this?

I know this issue has come up before, but I couldn't find it with the search function.

cheers
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Using Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 w a step-down transformer?

I am pretty certain a MOTU 8pre has changeable voltage.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

thanks for that, but Im interested in the Focusrite : )
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear
Right on the Focusrite Website: thumbsup

Can I bus-power my PRO 40? .: Focusrite Answerbase
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I love the focusrite,,, its auto power sensing like the above poster posted on url, U just need the correct power cord, enjoy your interface...
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

thank you : )

that's great news
Old 13th May 2011
Here for the gear

does this effect any quality at all ?
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

no effect, its designed to be international power ready...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtylurk View Post
Old 14th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtylurk View Post
I bought mine from the US. Just get the right power lead (IEC) and you are good to go.

cheers

Wiz
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Nut

cheers : )

it's up the top of my wish list.

looking forward to more ins/outs : )
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

I own one and don't have anything but good things to say about the interface. I havn't found another product at that price point that offers what the Saffire does. Others are close, but will end up lacking SPDIF or ADAT. Only thing I don't like is the software (MixControl) that the Saffire has to use. It is a bit weird and can be confusing at times. A great damn piece of hardware though. Well worth the investment
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using a Saffire Pro 40 for several years. I did have the cheap power on/off switch fail at about 2 years, but after posting my problems finding a switch on here, a person from Focusrite support in England saw the post and sent a replacement switch free. I now leave it in the "on" position and just power it on when I power up the rack with my Furman power conditioner.

I also have an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R and the preamps in it are no where near the quality of the Saffire Pro 40 preamps. With the Saffire Pro 40, what you input to it is what gets recorded (Transparent). With the Fastrack Ultra 8R, the signal is slightly more on the treble side and not exactly like the input signal. With a vocal or clean guitar signal this can be a problem in the Ultra 8R.
Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWiley View Post
I own one and don't have anything but good things to say about the interface. I havn't found another product at that price point that offers what the Saffire does. Others are close, but will end up lacking SPDIF or ADAT. Only thing I don't like is the software (MixControl) that the Saffire has to use. It is a bit weird and can be confusing at times. A great damn piece of hardware though. Well worth the investment
I agree with this completely.

I have the Saffire Pro 24 DSP...and am thinking of picking up the Pro 40 and moving the 24 to a secondary / mobile rig.

I think it is a great sounding piece....especially the preamps...and really has a nice combination of features that make it ideal (for me).

FYI...on the 24, it comes with a wall wart power supply (or can be bus powered) and the wart has interchangeable prongs and is auto switching for international use...a very nice touch.

Am attaching a clip of a recording I did recently of a friend. It is very sloppy and has lots of problems (we had all of LITERALLY 10 minutes to do this, we were recording in my untreated office (where the computer is), and our kids were playing just outside (you can actually hear them singing along at some point)...but all that aside...I like the quality that comes out of this thing...just makes it easy to get a good capture.

Chain: MXL 2003 (not A) on vocals, AT4040 on guitar (at 12th fret). Straight into Saffire Pro 24 DSP and recorded in Propellerheads Record. No compression, minimal lift at 10k for the vocals. No EQ on the guitar (a nylon cheapo) A bit of reverb (maybe too much) to blend and obscure the hideous room.
Attached Files

Summertime.mp3 (3.71 MB, 202 views)

Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear

I own the pro 40

Hi, what reverb was used on your vox?...I found treated rooms are better for louder miked amps and loud sources and for a good drum bleed ambience sound, as for softer solo voclas, not as important unless your singing in a cave...thanks for the post ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
I agree with this completely.

I have the Saffire Pro 24 DSP...and am thinking of picking up the Pro 40 and moving the 24 to a secondary / mobile rig.

I think it is a great sounding piece....especially the preamps...and really has a nice combination of features that make it ideal (for me).

FYI...on the 24, it comes with a wall wart power supply (or can be bus powered) and the wart has interchangeable prongs and is auto switching for international use...a very nice touch.

Am attaching a clip of a recording I did recently of a friend. It is very sloppy and has lots of problems (we had all of LITERALLY 10 minutes to do this, we were recording in my untreated office (where the computer is), and our kids were playing just outside (you can actually hear them singing along at some point)...but all that aside...I like the quality that comes out of this thing...just makes it easy to get a good capture.

Chain: MXL 2003 (not A) on vocals, AT4040 on guitar (at 12th fret). Straight into Saffire Pro 24 DSP and recorded in Propellerheads Record. No compression, minimal lift at 10k for the vocals. No EQ on the guitar (a nylon cheapo) A bit of reverb (maybe too much) to blend and obscure the hideous room.
Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post
Hi, what reverb was used on your vox?...I found treated rooms are better for louder miked amps and loud sources and for a good drum bleed ambience sound, as for softer solo voclas, not as important unless your singing in a cave...thanks for the post ...
Thanks for the tip!

The reverb is just the Rev7000 from Reason / Record. There is one of the presets named 'Empty Club' which I slightly tweaked.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search