The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good all-purpose mic in $300 range. Condenser Microphones
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler59 View Post
No brainer....Studio Projects CS5.....you can find them on ebay for around $300.

DB
Man, that CS5 does look interesting and versatile. Now there's another mic I'm gonna have to check out. That'll make the wife happy LOL. Might be a good way for the OP's friend to go though. Looks like it's designed to handle about anything.
Old 19th December 2010
The two that have worked best for me in that price range are the AT4050 and SM7B (I bought the 4050 used for around $325). For amps, acoustic gtr (the SM7 is surprising good on acoustic in my opinion) and vocals, one of those mics should offer the versatility needed. But I'd definitely give the edge to the 4050.
Old 19th December 2010
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input this far. There were a few companies i had never even heard of including: Kel + Busman.

I'm further than i was since now there are even more options but if we were counting votes the AT4040, CAD M179, and SM7 would be pretty far ahead. AT4040 (and AT40xx series) seems to be a big fav here.

I have a Studio Projects T3 which always impresses me when i use it on acoustic guitar and vocals, and SP has awesome customer service, so for that reason the CS5 is intriguing (to me).

For him i think simplicity is going to win. It is only for after-hours wood-shedding; bedroom opus, etc. Mics that already need mods, or external PSU, or complicated mounts, are all out. Most of the sources will be clean and/or acoustic.

I will look into the AT4040, CAD M179, and SP CS5. Thanks!

(I am going to check out the Busman mics for myself. )
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Even though I recommended the Kel HM7U, I have to say that the AT 40xx series are my favorites. And I've been really fortunate to find some amazing deals buying used. I've got $95 in my 4050 and like it much better than the AKG 414b-ULS I used to have. My 4047 set me back $200 and has become my go to vocal mic (while my Pearlman TM1 sits waiting in its case). Tonight I bought a 4033A on Ebay for $170. And I think I'm gonna buy the 4040 that's at my local pawn shop for $100 just for the hell of it. I absolutely love AT. Still, if I had to get by with only one mic for everything (which fortunately I don't) it would probably be the HM7U.

Larry
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

The CS5 is really a great mic that is incredibly versatile. Keep an eye on FleaBay and you can find a good deal from time to time. My CS5 has been a workhorse for me.

David B
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post
Even though I recommended the Kel HM7U, I have to say that the AT 40xx series are my favorites. And I've been really fortunate to find some amazing deals buying used. I've got $95 in my 4050 and like it much better than the AKG 414b-ULS I used to have. My 4047 set me back $200 and has become my go to vocal mic (while my Pearlman TM1 sits waiting in its case). Tonight I bought a 4033A on Ebay for $170. And I think I'm gonna buy the 4040 that's at my local pawn shop for $100 just for the hell of it. I absolutely love AT. Still, if I had to get by with only one mic for everything (which fortunately I don't) it would probably be the HM7U.

Larry
Damn! Those are some good deals. I got my AT4040 for $160 and I thought that was a good deal...
Old 20th December 2010
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Haven't directly heard the CS5 on instruments, BUT IMHO it rocks (sorry could_not resistheh) on vocals. It's certainly my fave LDC under $300.
Right up there with uber$$ condensers for my voice.

Chris
Old 20th February 2015
I wanted to post a few updates on this subject. I bought a KEL HM-3C for myself to try, and then was going to recommend it to my friend if it worked out. I found it had incredibly high self noise; too much for acoustic guitar. The tone was lovely but the noise was a no-go. I got a used E100S with a missing mount that I returned, but thought it was just OK on the few tests I did.

More recently I got a CS5 as I've always been a big fan of Studio Projects (their products and their service) and it has slowly creeped to the top of my favorites list. Why aren't people screaming about how nice it is? I think it belongs on the default reco list with the E100S and M179.

I bought it, again to try myself and maybe recommend to him. First I stuck it in front of an amp where I instantly loved it, and it sat there for weeks. It hears what the amp is putting out. Very honest. Not peaky. Then the last few nights I was looking for a good vocal mic. I tried some tube LDCs, a ribbon, and a non-tube LDCs. Nothing good. I was reluctant to try the CS5 because it is so clear and accurate I figured it would be too bright for vocals ... wrong: it sounded awesome ... very smooth but detailed.

Finally I wanted to try an acoustic archtop track to rough in an idea, went through about 3 other mics, and the CS5 sounded great again. I had never even considered it before but it seems to hear things in a very flat and/or flattering way.

I'm convinced there is a little hamster inside peeking out at what you are mic-ing and then pulling the appropriate levers to make the mic suit the source. I'm scared if I look inside to verify he will escape.

Anyhow: thanks for the comments. I know this thread is old but I considered all the advice and got some great results. CS5 will be my "best / cheap all around" recommendation when the question arises.
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Nut

How about the telefunken m80 seems like it would work well on a lot of sources.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Head
Haven't used it personally but the CAD M179 gets a ton of love as a workhorse type mic in these forums.

If you can find a used on or scrounge up an extra $50, the Shure SM7B is solid on vocals, guitar cabs, bass cabs, and even some toms.

-Damon
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

I used to own the CS5. I do agree that it's very smooth and nice on vocals. However, it always seemed to emphasize the strings on my acoustic in a metallic way. I found that the Shure KSM32 killed it on acoustic guitar and probably slightly warmer on vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral View Post
I wanted to post a few updates on this subject. I bought a KEL HM-3C for myself to try, and then was going to recommend it to my friend if it worked out. I found it had incredibly high self noise; too much for acoustic guitar. The tone was lovely but the noise was a no-go. I got a used E100S with a missing mount that I returned, but thought it was just OK on the few tests I did.

More recently I got a CS5 as I've always been a big fan of Studio Projects (their products and their service) and it has slowly creeped to the top of my favorites list. Why aren't people screaming about how nice it is? I think it belongs on the default reco list with the E100S and M179.

I bought it, again to try myself and maybe recommend to him. First I stuck it in front of an amp where I instantly loved it, and it sat there for weeks. It hears what the amp is putting out. Very honest. Not peaky. Then the last few nights I was looking for a good vocal mic. I tried some tube LDCs, a ribbon, and a non-tube LDCs. Nothing good. I was reluctant to try the CS5 because it is so clear and accurate I figured it would be too bright for vocals ... wrong: it sounded awesome ... very smooth but detailed.

Finally I wanted to try an acoustic archtop track to rough in an idea, went through about 3 other mics, and the CS5 sounded great again. I had never even considered it before but it seems to hear things in a very flat and/or flattering way.

I'm convinced there is a little hamster inside peeking out at what you are mic-ing and then pulling the appropriate levers to make the mic suit the source. I'm scared if I look inside to verify he will escape.

Anyhow: thanks for the comments. I know this thread is old but I considered all the advice and got some great results. CS5 will be my "best / cheap all around" recommendation when the question arises.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search