The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My monitors are 10 years old Studio Monitors
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

My monitors are 10 years old

I've got a pair pf Event Tuned Reference 5 monitors and push them pretty hard sometimes. Is there anyway to tell if they are getting old? They don't distort.
When I listen to a mic or preamp comparisons, I can't tell the difference, but

I can with my headphones. Do you think its because they are cheap in the first place, old, or do I need more room treatment?

(I've got 8 corner tube traps 4 half rounds, DIY, 2 ats pannels in my 17 by 9 studio). I can still hear a little room echo when I sing loudly unless I lay sound blankets around the room.

Thanks
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, except mine are probably closer to 25-30 years old :-) Don't know why you need to know that, but I felt I should throw in my 2 cents.

It's probably the reason I've got a sE Electronics and a Shure SM57 only, because I probably couldn't tell the difference between different pieces of gear :-(
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

does it really matter when your results are great?

new gear is always great, but rarely needed heh
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Nope no great results here yet.
I'm trying to produce better mixes and have a really hard time with my current set up. I think the fact that I can't tell the difference between shout outs is a good indicator. I think, think... my ears are better than they were ten years ago. and unfortunately I'm not sufjean Stevens.
oh and I just finished a big job and wanted to reward myself=)
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post

Yeah, I guess so. I wasn't complaining about my gear, but there is other gear out there which I really really want. Such as Neumann mics. And a Manley Massive Passive. And a Neve 88R (ok, the last one was a jokeheh). But anyway, I'm digressing from the question.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post

Bingo. Do your mixes translate easily? Are you comfortable with them? That's all you need to know.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

no and no
let me elaborate
Often times I'll spend hours mixing a tune at home then take it into the car and the vocals sound way far in the back. Then I'll mix it again and the re-verb sounds very tinny. Or the bass will sound phat with a nice little bit of pluck to it then in another stereo it sounds like a thunk thunk. I've read a lot of this thread
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283&page=2 as well but was looking for some specific info on knowing how true my monitors are.
thanks so much for any help
Old 15th December 2010

hows your room acoustics?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

I've got 8x 15" DIY corner tube traps 4 half rounds, 2 ats pannels in my 17 by 9 studio. I can still hear a little room echo when I sing loudly unless I lay sound blankets around the room.

I think it is decent but not being an expert its hard to say. I've taken care of the slap echo and noticed a minimal difference in spectrograph readings of before and after.

Thanks for any advice or links to other posts.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

are new speakers to replace them cost prohibitive? I have had to replace my tweeters a time or two and my speakers are less than 7 years old

call your manufacturer service dept. and get a quote maybe?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

If I can't tell the difference between shout outs through my monitors but I can through my headphones do you think its my room or my speakers? Or is it just me?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

My 2 cents

I have a pair of event monitors that I got used to a/b with bx8a's. I like it. The events seem to flatter the higher frequencies, while the others are a bit bass heavy. If mixes sound good on both, I'm getting there...

Differences in pres/mics etc can be drastic if you are comparing apples to oranges (ie dynamic v condenser). If you are comparing similar pieces of gear or boutique stuff (ad/da, pricy preamps), the differences can be quite subtle. Have you considered burning some of your tests to cd's and going and putting it through several pairs of monitors at the music store? See if the difference is more noticeable there, or if it is in fact negligible.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomentsloss View Post
My 2 cents

I have a pair of event monitors that I got used to a/b with bx8a's. I like it. The events seem to flatter the higher frequencies, while the others are a bit bass heavy. If mixes sound good on both, I'm getting there...

Differences in pres/mics etc can be drastic if you are comparing apples to oranges (ie dynamic v condenser). If you are comparing similar pieces of gear or boutique stuff (ad/da, pricy preamps), the differences can be quite subtle. Have you considered burning some of your tests to cd's and going and putting it through several pairs of monitors at the music store? See if the difference is more noticeable there, or if it is in fact negligible.
Thanks! I think just getting another pair is a good idea. I guess I'll look for the monitors for under $400 thread

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search