The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clip/song done with old DBX 166 comp, original model Condenser Microphones
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Clip/song done with old DBX 166 comp, original model

Thought I would post a clip with my 100 dollar DBX 166 original model with the colored knobs. Both guitars, bass, and vocals were all through it with a moderate amount of GR. I definitely like this compressor, wish I could afford the 160A model next, guess i'll save my pennies, but I have decided I like dbx compression as kind of an effect. This was done with a Behringer C2 SDC on the acoustics, Bass DI into my Presonus MP20 Burr Brown chips and Jensen Tranny, and the vocals are V67G through the presonus. Low end all the way, but it's all I can afford, I'm poor All done in Sonar. also discovered the Waves de-esser, and now it will be on all vocal tracks in the future, never knew how important that was.

SoundClick artist: Jeff Stewart - page with MP3 music downloads
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

That you performing? I dig the song, for some strange reason it reminded me of the slower Humble Pie numbers and that type of thing. Perhaps a bit of Dave Mason in there as well. My setup is way too bad to make any judgment about the sound but fwiw the vocals were perhaps a bit too smooth for my taste, lacking a bit of presence eq-wise. Or maybe not, I'm not sure. Maybe a bit of highs lacking in the guitar. Overall good though. But this is coming from a non-engineer, so don't take my word for it.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes, me performing everything and I wrote it. yeah, my first mix was over the headphones so it was even worse. I finally hooked up my monitors and got some of the mud out but I am not in a good room for mixing to start with, so we do what we can I guess.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary View Post
That you performing? I dig the song, for some strange reason it reminded me of the slower Humble Pie numbers and that type of thing. Perhaps a bit of Dave Mason in there as well. My setup is way too bad to make any judgment about the sound but fwiw the vocals were perhaps a bit too smooth for my taste, lacking a bit of presence eq-wise. Or maybe not, I'm not sure. Maybe a bit of highs lacking in the guitar. Overall good though. But this is coming from a non-engineer, so don't take my word for it.
Old 15th December 2010
Sounds great! I hear no gear. It just sounds good. heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Great job Jeff! You voice sounds really nice with that V67g... surprising what you can do with a bit of talent and inexpensive gear. Keep up the good work!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I like the sound and performance, reminds me of some Motown stuff. The one thing that might be related to the gear is some sibilance on the letters s, f and th. Nothing terrible. It might be the mic, needing a pop filter, or perhaps the compression.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I like the sound and performance. The one thing that might be related to the gear is some sibilance on the letters s, f and th. It might be the mic, needing a pop filter, or perhaps the compression.

The song reminds me very much of this one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search