The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One (of a pair) KRK RP6 making loud click when turning off - worth worrying about?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

One (of a pair) KRK RP6 making loud click when turning off - worth worrying about?

hi all,
one of my RP6s has developed a loud 'click' sound when I power it off.

It sounds like something to do with the power supply.

I've tried changing the source they're plugged in to, switching the TRS cables they're hooked up with and swapping over their AC power plugs.

The sound persists.

The same KRK has a higher noise-floor than the other also.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Is it worth worrying about?

cheers
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

edit:

i should mention, it sounds more like a 'pop' sound actually.

and i think it's being amplified through the speakers cone/tweeter, rather than being a purely mechanical click
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

one of my Bx5a's has the same problem, albeit magnified

when turning off its horrendous and loud...it sounds like a tesla coil shooting down your ear canal

after some googling and speaker dissection i found that one of the power capacitors had blown...i briefly read something about the manufacturing and global distribution of ****ty capacitors years ago : /

either way...if it is a blown capacitor, one of them will be bulging in the monitor case. To check for yourself, unscrew the back panel. Remove it slightly, but do not pull hard, as the circuitry will still be connected to the speakers. Try to pull it off far enough to shine a flash light in and look at the board, then look for these little cylindrical thimbles(the 3 round ones towards the back)

You may have only 2 or 3, but if one of them is slightly raised(even 1/2 mm.), it is blown. You can either research how to replace and fix it yourself, pay a speaker repairmen, or the dreaded buying of a new set. I hope this helps!
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

if I ignore it, will it get worse?

will call the store I bought them from and see if they're out of warranty first.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

I cant tell you if it'll get worse, but it definitely wont get better

Did you find out about your warranty?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yeah I they're out of warranty by six months.

I also found out the official local KRK repair shop. So will look into getting them prepared while I'm out of town.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

Sorry to hear that man, lemme know how it goes.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

it seems to have gotten louder, but it's intermittent. sometimes it turns off with the same mechanical click (only) as its sibling monitor.

called up the official repairer. AUD$110/hour quote. If it is a capacitor, couldn't take more than an hour, surely?

Going away early Feb, will see if I can book it in for then.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search