The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
YES. another christmas $ thread...what should I upgrade? Condenser Microphones
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

YES. another christmas $ thread...what should I upgrade?

Hello fellow badass indie artists and soon to be platinum musicians. I have a debacle. I have a Sterling ST55, running to an M Audio Firewire solo, to my HP Media Center PC with Adobe Audition.

I record ultra gangster hip hop vocals, and I'm looking for a quality boost in the $700-1 grand range

my studio is not acoustically treated. My mic and interface both work swimmingly, but its time to get a long overdue quality boost....how do I get the biggest bang for my skrilla?

Should I get a Chameleon preamp(700)? Or a Neumann TLM102(700)? Or an AKG C 214(500) and a M Audio Fast Track Ultra(300)? Or one of those wrap around sound dampening mic stand attachment thingamasteve's(300), and a better interface? I'm like a rabid cougar frothing at the mouth at a frat party...there's too many options

ANY advice would be met with the utmost gratisfaction!
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

I would first upgrade the ST55 to something less bright and ssssibiliant. After that, probably treatment or one of those thingamasteves, then upgrade the interface.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

YES. another christmas $ thread...what should I upgrade?

MOTU 8pre(400 used)
Shure SM7b(350 new)
M-Audio DMP-3(150 new)
ROOM TREATMENT!(priceless)
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

+1 on the Sm7b.. especially if you don't have a decent amount of room treatment.

An 8pre seems a bit excessive if you're only tracking vocals. Better off going for one or two channels of higher quality conversion/pre for around the same price.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

I'm immediately happy I registered here.

The Sm7 was used on MJ's Thriller. Excellent recommendation.

It's highly suggested by various sites that an interface with 60 db gain is used with the Sm7. Considering my FireWire Solo is only 40 db, should a interface with higher gain be purchased before a thingamasteve?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yes, an SM7.

Let me add 1 or 2 GIK acoustic PVB's (portable vocal booth).
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Maybe a gap pre 73 to go with your sm7 (total cost about $650)? That thing is supposed to have 80 db max gain, and a lot of people really like the sound of it. Haven't tried it myself as I'm wary of pro audio equipment being distributed by middling quality clothing stores
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

I have used my SM7b strait into my interface and it has been fine. A good pair around here seems to be an Sm7b with a DMP-3. Which is what i use primarily to drive mine. it sounds very clear and to be honest, i wouldnt know that it needed 50/60 db of gain to drive it if no one would have told me.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Maybe a gap pre 73 to go with your sm7 (total cost about $650)? That thing is supposed to have 80 db max gain, and a lot of people really like the sound of it. Haven't tried it myself as I'm wary of pro audio equipment being distributed by middling quality clothing stores
thumbsup

i'm reading the 73 has a great sound for the price, with a few component complaints and a "wooly" sound...I'm sold on the Sm7B, it's got rave reviews everywhere and is WAY less expensive than i was expecting for that quality....group think on here seems to be reliable, hopefully i can be directed to an affordable pre of equal notoriety

btw would a pre negate the need for my FireWire solo, or would i need to keep it and run mic-73-FireWire-computer?

forgive my noobness...thanks Pron!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

bump for new input : )
Old 18th December 2010
U87?

In my opinion you should get a CM-87 or a JJaudio U87 conversion.

Custom Microphones and Mods

JJ Audio MXL V67G Modified Microphone at FrontEndAudio.com

Advanced Audio Microphones

and an ART Pro Channel with upgraded NOS tubes or a PRE-73 or an ISA Classic One.

Those are some suggestions for great gear in your price range!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search